Litter Box Training

ncarter

:laugh: Hi all,

has anyone tried to litter box train their dog? I was wondering if anyone could share their experience of doing this. I thought it might be helpful to litter box train my dog so he can stay inside when im at work.

kind regards

mmmmm there are some people who have done, depends how big your dog is.

Have you considered that your dog may be destructive whilst inside whilst you're at work?

Also it's not terribly safe....dog may eat something it shouldn't, might chew a wire it shouldn't etc etc. Unless this is a dog that can be trusted inside etc.

Doggies do fine out in the yard whilst their family is at work given that they have enough to do.

Is there a reason the dog can't be outside.

IMO secure fencing is a necessity if you have a dog regardless of breed. Personally I wouldn't leave any dog loose inside the house while I was at work unless I'd had the dog for some years and knew that it could be trusted. I would never leave a puppy or young dog inside. If you're only away for a relatively short time you could possibly crate the dog, but if I were you I'd secure my yard and leave the dog outside or build a run.

TB and Miranda

You say you dont leave yuor dog inside but being in a unit you dont have much choices... which is why i have yet to get a dog thus far..

I have a balcony which is 5 metres long by 1.5 m.. its secure .. would the dog (toy poodle) be ok to leave there even though i have a bbq and a table.. i.e would it bother him if there are objects on the balcony or does it have to be empty... and is it ok to leave him there for the day... its under cover and gets some sun also but mostly shade.

I was also goign to leave the door open and have a pen enclosure so he can have some inside access also .. but the tv is next to door because tv ariel socket is there.. you see any issues?

Also if you leave your dog outside wont they cry??

Ncarter... you can get a petloo if you want to have an inside pet loo..... they are little expensive however. web site is http://www.petloo.com

Edited by Curious

TB and Miranda

You say you dont leave yuor dog inside but being in a unit you dont have much choices... which is why i have yet to get a dog thus far..

I have a balcony which is 5 metres long by 1.5 m.. its secure .. would the dog (toy poodle) be ok to leave there even though i have a bbq and a table.. i.e would it bother him if there are objects on the balcony or does it have to be empty... and is it ok to leave him there for the day... its under cover and gets some sun also but mostly shade.

I was also goign to leave the door open and have a pen enclosure so he can have some inside access also .. but the tv is next to door because tv ariel socket is there.. you see any issues?

Also if you leave your dog outside wont they cry??

Ncarter... you can get a petloo if you want to have an inside pet loo..... they are little expensive however. web site is http://www.petloo.com

I have no experience of keeping dogs in apartments, but I know that lots of people do it and it's very common overseas. Providing the balcony is secure, I can't see a problem, I doubt that the table and the BBQ will worry the dog, but remember that puppies are compulsive chewers. If your dog has access to the inside be very careful that he can't get into anything that may harm him, any electrical equipment should be kept well out of his way and if you have carpet you can't expect the puppy not to soil it.

Any dog may cry when it's left alone regardless of whether it's inside or outside, that's something else you would have to consider. With apartments being in such close proximity I would imagine that your neighbours may complain if your puppy cries and barks all the time when you're not home.