Heat Or Season Or Period Or Whateva Its Called...is It Here?!

m575

hey, just wandering about the chances of a jack russell terrier getting heat or whateva its called (ive read tooo many things!) at 4 months..? yesterday she had a fight with her sister and there was a bit of blood on her at the end of it and today the same thing happend but we are wandering if maybe her sister just smeared the blood off her fagoa or ever it come from onto her...she also smells in that general area... :S she went to the vet 2 days ago (both) and got there final injections and i dunno? would the vet have noticed it comming? thanks!

er..ill go check in a sec...how long does it last? how often? will this make spaying harder? will she bring her sister into season? will there be lotsa blood? :'(

it can last 2 weeks to 4 weeks.

She may throw her sister into heat

I dont think you can spay her while shes in heat you will have to wait till after

As for the blood...depends on the dog.

Oh, please get your bitch/es to a vet so you can determine if either/both are in season. Someone needs to explain this to you, and teach you what to do so your females aren't at risk of becoming pregnant. And I'd be hoping for a spey sooner rather than later...it's technically *possible* during a heat cycle, but far too risky for most vets to contemplate. :o

Is your ticker out of whack ? Is that your pups who it says are 3months 1 week old ?

I don't know but I would think even 4mths very young for a first season ?

Be interested to hear if she is in season, I always thought 6mths was the earliest that could happen :o

Is your ticker out of whack ? Is that your pups who it says are 3months 1 week old ?

I don't know but I would think even 4mths very young for a first season ?

Be interested to hear if she is in season, I always thought 6mths was the earliest that could happen :o

4mos is not to early. Yes in most cases it is early but it does happen...my mastiff came in at 4mos.

6mos is the common age for small breeds to come in but even my sibe came in around 6mos rather than a yr.

yeah, i think theres sumtin wrong with the timer..lol...I didnt want to spay them now...just was wandering if it makes any difference to wen they are being spayed weather or not they have had a heat cyle...lol...i reallly have no idea what im talking about :)

yeah, i think theres sumtin wrong with the timer..lol...I didnt want to spay them now...just was wandering if it makes any difference to wen they are being spayed weather or not they have had a heat cyle...lol...i reallly have no idea what im talking about :)

it doesnt change things whether she has been in heat or not before she gets spayed. It only matters if she is in heat when you want her desexed. Best option to get her spayed at 6 months!!! The sooner the better.

yeah...we wana do it b4 christmas...:) so yeah...woot...

good to hear,

it would definately be a good idea to talk to a couple of the breeders and JRT owners on here and find out more about your pups and what problems they might come up with.

Check here privates with atissue but for health reasons take her to the vet.

She could be in season but she also could have a UTI .

Personally i wouldnt spay a bitch in season,there are more risks,it costs more & i believe hormolly its harder on the bitch.

If she is in season she could very well bring the other one in so you can either wait or get her spayed depending on what the vet visit results in.

Go to the vets & it will be all sorted ,they can do a swab & now straight away

hummm...seems to be fine now ? maybe it was just an attack? :S but yeha...nice and normal now :thumbsup: and i am NOT GOING TO SPAY IN SEASON! just to say that again I KNOW NOT TO SPAY IN SEASON! never was gonna, never will! i have checked it out and will book it for some time in december..and it's about $300 for the 2...so yeah....

• 3 weeks later...

well, thought I'd update....yeah, if you're not planning on breeding, I don't see the point of going through all the trouble of not desexing. So yeah, she seems fine now :S no blood or anything, maybe it was just two fights in a row, although that doesnt explain the smell :S but yeah...:mad

Wow, can't believe the pups are growing up so quickly.

Just a word of caution, please be very vigilant between now and when you plan to desex them. Firstly a bitch on heat will likely encourage males to the area, they can scent the pherermones. Secondly, JRTs are escape artists at the best of times, so can you imagine having 2 JRT bitches on heat at the same time, both wanting to escape and find a mate! :thumbsup:

Would love to see some photos! :cheer: