Blood On Raw Hide

skwo2

My 9 weeks old Bichon pup is teething now. I gave her a Raw Hide to chew, and yesterday, I noticed some red thing on the Raw Hide, seems like to be blood. Is there usually blood coming out from teeth when they are teething, or is she just chewing too hard (like human brushing the teeth too hard and bleed)? Or it is actually something that I should seriously be concerned?

She eat, poo and wee, all ok and play too. No sign of illness.

Also, please suggest me something that I can clean her mouth with, she got mouth breath!

See if you can find her little baby teeth to keep :thumbsup:

Could be two things -

1) Regular teething

2) She has cut her gum on the rawhide - it might be a bit tough for her to chew?

Either way, a little bit of blood is not anything to be worried about :rofl:

My advice is to get her a PUPPY chew rather than a rawhide. There are a couple of different brands but try to get something natural made for small breed puppies. :p

Puppies do tend to have smelly "puppy" breath but normally it's quite pleasant :p It should just smell like the food you are giving her :idea: If you find the smell of her food offensive, then maybe you should think about gradually changing her food to something you like the smell of? :rofl:

A little bit (about 3 leaves) of chopped up fresh mint in her regular food will help her breath in the meantime :(

Please post some pictures of your puppy :p

Sure I will post a pic of my Bichon pup, Chelsea. (I finally understand why take so long for the breeder to send pics, it is really busy looking after a pup, and imagine if I got a litter......)

Anyway, so mint is ok for pup? It won't cause any sickness. Cos Chelsea is a toy size breed, I am just a bit concerned something may be ok for a med or large breed pup, may not be ok for a tiny small ones.

Also, do they enjoy icy pops when they are teething?

Is it very painful for the puppy when they are teething?

Also, she sometimes just chew on my feet, how should I stop that? I have said NO in a firm tone, but sometimes, it just not work.

It's not unheard of Kazzakanary :rofl: But it's probably more likely that the rawhide has cut her gums which is why I suggested something else :thumbsup:

Skwo2 - yes mint is perfectly alright for toy breed dogs :rofl: (I have toy breeds.) Just make sure you cut it up into little tiny bits and mix it with Chelsea's food :(

Sure I will post a pic of my Bichon pup, Chelsea. (I finally understand why take so long for the breeder to send pics, it is really busy looking after a pup, and imagine if I got a litter......)

You will NOT get a litter because you will be a responsible pet owner and DESEX your girl, won't you? :thumbsup:

When you mean icy pops, do you mean ice cubes? Yes, ice cubes are fine. Teething is probably a little uncomfortable, but it doesn't last too long.

Saying no to her when she chews your feet is good, give her a toy to distract her.

How's your tongue today, skwo2? :rofl:

Her tongue is ok, I think. She is still eating, so it can't be too much wrong.

Mint...... is all types of mint ok? I am not good at herbs, so it can be a silly question. I will just go to a supermarket and get whatever green thing that has called the label "mint" on it.

I got a serious problem here, she doesn't listen to NO, she will just keep on going to bite my feet, or do whatever she is doing. What can I do? I have tried grabbing her neck (like what the dog mother do) and move her away from things, and give her a toy etc, but that doesn't work all the time. However, she did pretty well when I have food in my hands and then when I say sit, come or wait, she will respond pretty well. How can I associate a NO with food?

Don't worry about me having a litter, it won't happen, and never ever going to happen. I am planning to get her desexed at 5 or 6 months. The breeder has told me not to desex her too early, early desex is no good.

Her tongue is ok, I think. She is still eating, so it can't be too much wrong.

Mint...... is all types of mint ok? I am not good at herbs, so it can be a silly question. I will just go to a supermarket and get whatever green thing that has called the label "mint" on it.

I got a serious problem here, she doesn't listen to NO, she will just keep on going to bite my feet, or do whatever she is doing. What can I do? I have tried grabbing her neck (like what the dog mother do) and move her away from things, and give her a toy etc, but that doesn't work all the time. However, she did pretty well when I have food in my hands and then when I say sit, come or wait, she will respond pretty well. How can I associate a NO with food?

Don't worry about me having a litter, it won't happen, and never ever going to happen. I am planning to get her desexed at 5 or 6 months. The breeder has told me not to desex her too early, early desex is no good.

"Positive reinforcement" is how most people train/teach their dogs these days. If your pup is doing something you don't want, redirect her to something that's OK for her to do. Example? If she's chewing/biting at your feet, pick her favourite toy up and give that to her instead.

The word "No" doesn't help IMO. Tell the dog what you want, such as "Quiet" when she's barking. To reinforce the idea, you can do something pleasant AND something less pleasant. So, you could say "Quiet," then reinforce with a treat when she is quiet. If she's ignoring the "Quiet" command, squirt her as you ask her to be quiet. It's fairly simple: get a $2 spray bottle from any supermarket or discount shop, fill it with water, set it to "spray" rather than "stream", and say, "Quiet," while squirting her. Once she's quiet, give her a food treat and tell her she's a "Good dog!". If the "spray" setting doesn't work, then move the setting GRADUALLY to squirt. You don't want to drench her but you do want her attention and this will get that result. Always follow with a positive reinforcement, such as a food reward and praise for being good. You can always stop the food reward once your dog is reliably following your commands but in the meantime, invest in a "bait pouch" so you always have treats to hand. :D

you have time to DOL, but no time to take a photo?

Do you even have this dog?

We asked quite a few times on the other thread how she was going and for some photos, and you never replied - Some of us are getting a bit suss

Would a pup loose it's 1st teeth at 9 weeks???

Piper is nearly 13 weeks and hasn't lost any (to my knowledge)

Ramses didnt technially loose a tooth at 9 weeks he was absolutly shredding a soft toy and he snapped his canine tooth. I rang the vet and they said keep an eye on it the nerve was showing and it was bleeding. It eventually turned a weird colour and fell out a few weeks later :D

He didnt actually start legitamatly loosing teeth until about 15-16 wks old

OP hates you TB

Yes if you start a thread you should at least come back and acknowledge the responses of those who replied

Terrorbull Im with you, :laugh: .

I have been reading through alot this posters threads and also gettting rather suss.

For one thing the poster has 'bad english skills' but her grammer and spelling seem rather good :laugh: .

She asks questions that most children would have the answer to.

Honestly what person does not know that when a dog sticks it tongue out thats its panting because its hot? thats its a total normal behaviour? ask any 6 year old child and it will give the correct answer.

yep deff suss.

please prove us all wrong by posting some cute puppy pictures, and we can dismiss all are paranoid (troll????) thoughts and instead turn as all mushy :rofl: .