What Can't You Feed Dogs?

Jellybean Chick

onions or any part of the onion family can be potentially deadly to them,

raw potatoes are really bad for them too...

diarrhea could be caused if you fed your pup meat that really full of nutrients...things like lamb and pork and liver can be a bit too rich and sometime upset the stomach

Common Foods That Are Harmful Or Even Fatal to Dogs

Many common foods are actually harmful or even fatal to dogs. Some of these

(listed below) will surprise you. Others are things you would never give your dog

purposefully, but now you will be more careful to not let them be in your dog's reach

. And some just need to be limited to small amounts.

Avocados (fruit, pit, and plant) are toxic to dogs. They can cause difficulty breathing;

fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart; or pancreatitis.

Onions destroy red blood cells and can cause anemia, weakness, and breathing difficulty.

Even small amounts can cause cumulative damage over time. This includes onions or chives -

raw, powdered, dehydrated, or cooked.

Large amounts of garlic cause the same problems as onions.

Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. As little as a single serving of raisins can kill him.

If the dog doesn't eat enough at one time to be fatal, he can be severely damaged by eating just a few grapes or raisins regularly.

Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomato plants and the most toxic, but tomatoes

themselves are also unsafe. (All parts of the plant except the tomato itself are also poisonous to humans.)

Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures and death.

Caffeine (from coffee, coffee grounds, tea, or tea bags) stimulates the central nervous and cardiac

systems, and can cause vomiting, restlessness, heart palpitations, and even death within hours.

Diet products containing the sweetener Xylitol can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in

depression, loss of coordination and seizures. Unless treatment is given quickly, the dog could die.

Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis. These symptoms are usually temporary.

Walnuts are poisonous to dogs.

Chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death. Baker’s chocolate is the most dangerous. The darker the

chocolate, the more dangerous it is. But any chocolate, in large enough amounts, can kill a dog. An ounce of

chocolate can poison a 30-pound dog, and many dogs will happily consume more than this. The symptoms may

not show up for several hours (and so might make you think all is well), with death following within twenty-four hours.

A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous.

Apple seeds, cherry pits, and peach pits, pear pips, plums pits, peaches, and apricot pits contain cyanide, which is

poisonous.

Too much salt can cause kidney problems. Also, large breeds of dogs that eat salty food may then drink too much

water and develop bloat, which is fatal unless emergency treatment is given very quickly.

Too much fat or fried foods can cause pancreatitis.

Ham and bacon contain too much fat and too much salt, and can cause pancreatitis. Also, large breeds of dogs that eat

salty food may drink too much water and develop a life-threatening condition called bloat. This is where the stomach fills

up with gas and within several hours may twist, causing death.

Raw liver or too much cooked liver (three servings a week) can lead to vitamin A toxicity. This can cause deformed bones,

excessive bone growth on the elbows and spine, weight loss, and anorexia. Check the label of your canned dog food to be

sure that it does not contain liver if you are giving your dog liver also.

Wild mushrooms can cause abdominal pain, drooling, liver damage, kidney damage, vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, coma, or

death.

Raw egg whites contain a protein called avidin, which can deplete your dog of biotin, one of the B vitamins. Biotin is essential to

your dog’s growth and coat health. The lack of it can cause hair loss, weakness, growth retardation, or skeleton deformity.

Grains should not be given in large amounts or make up a large part of a dog’s diet, but rice is generally safe in small amounts.

Cooked bones can splinter and tear a dog’s internal organs.

Dogs can't digest most vegetables (carrots, green beans, lettuce, potatoes or yams) whole or in large pieces. Potato peels and

green potatoes are dangerous.

Dairy products are high in fat, which can cause pancreatitis, gas and diarrhea. A small amount of non-fat, plain yogurt is usually safe.

Pennies made from the 1980s to today contain zinc, which can cause kidney failure and damage to red blood cells. A dog that

consumes even one penny can become quite sick, or even die, if the penny is not removed.

I was advised by my vet to ad chopped carrot & peas to their diet for vitamin.

To get a good dry poo, give raw bones / raw lambchops / raw chicken ( with bone, like chicken necks ), good for cleaning up their teeth as well.

My parents used to have a Pom x and his diet mainly is rice & chicken liver, twice daily with occasionally chicken or beef and fruit for dessert ( his fav is watermelon ). He lived to 13 + years, never have a sick day in his life, healthy as a horse.

So...not exactly sure which one to follow exactly, one source said 'no', the other said ' yes', but some stuffs you really can't feed to a dog, such as onion family. The others, just check with your vet for advice.

Hope the diarrohea will get better soon !!!

sugar although you are right with the egg whites, eggs are safe when they are given whole. The egg yolk counteracts the egg whites.

All dairy products can be beneficial if included in a good balanced diet. We've fed our dogs cottage cheese, yoghurt etc with no problems at all. Some of these dogs have lived to 14 years (this includes my grandmas daschund!!!)

but they can't eat a whole one.

just put it through a blender!!!! :thumbsup: ;) :)

we get that raw chicken roll...its basically a whole chicken bones and all put through a mincer. Very healthy since you get the calcium and protein and all that

Hi Everyone, thanks so much for all the info, you all have been very helpful!! It could have been from his new treats (to help me train him obedience) - dried liver. He loves them so much too!! I'll keep an eye on him and see how he goes....Oh and I'll make sure he stays away from children too :laugh:

JBC

Guest bigdogg

mmm very good - ive learnt a lot actually..

didnt even know cows milk was no good.. my last litter of pups were fed about 4 - 5 litres of cows milk (straight from the udder each morning) - unless it has some affects in later life i can only say they thrived on it..

My first ever dog (springer spaniel x) dumped dog.. was welcomed into my familly when i was a few months old.. she lived till she was 17yrs old - and was fed just about everything on that list at some point in time..

a few exceptions - caffine, walnuts, wild mushies and pennies.. lol - but yeah everything else... but never in excessive amounts i spose?? dunno

anyway good thread!!

I think the issues with cows milk are that some dogs are lactose intolerant (some cats too) so cows milk can give them the runs. Also, too much full cream milk could be problematic because of the fat content.

indeed you just have to be careful and keep a look out on how your dogs react to it. Some people just completely stay away from it.

Others give it in small amounts or watered down.

Frankly I've never had problems with little milk and other dairy in a dogs diet.

didnt even know cows milk was no good.. my last litter of pups were fed about 4 - 5 litres of cows milk (straight from the udder each morning) - unless it has some affects in later life i can only say they thrived on it..

Hehehe I reckon a photo of those pups would be great! hehehehehe It would make a good rove "What the???"

:D :laugh:

Guest bigdogg

ooops... no no.. :scared:

the cow was milked every day by hand... 4 - 5 litres for the dogs, 1-2 for us (sometimes none) and the rest was left for the calf..

would be a good picture though.. the cats used to come up sometimes and they would lick the teats - no photos though...

What about garlic? I know it was mentioned that small amounts may be ok but I'm concerned because my mother in law is Greek and is feeding her pup cooked meat with garlic in it. How much is too much? My partner swears that they once had a dog with heartworm and was cured with garlic in it's food

Also I'm assuming that any onion whatsoever in cooked food is an absolute no - no?

Oh, by the way - they have just told me that the pup is eating it's own poo! Related?

Edited by skilo