Can You Toilet Train A 6months Puppy?

joy4land

post-13170-1163157780_thumb.jpgHi everyone! I have toilet training issue with my two dogs and would like to hear some advise.

I have two dogs and they all live in the yard.

My 6months GSD Maxine stay inside during the day and sleeps in the yard under the canopy. She will not wee or pooh inside the house or under the canopy but will relief herself all over the back yard. My 13months daughter is leaning to walk, I assume she will soon walking in the back yard and rolling in the pooh :D .

The other dog is a un-desexed boy,2 1/2 Jack Russell. His pre-owner went to Sydney for training and I was suppose to look after him for few months. We got it wrong from the begining--my husband punished him for wee inside the house. Since then, he will wee or pooh behind us. so we let him sleep at a coner of back yard and didn't trained him. After all, he will only stay few months. Last months, my friend called me and said she accepted the offer in Sydney and can not bring Captain with her :hug:

So now, I'm thinking to train two dogs use a spot in the yard. But can you train older dogs to do so?

Anyone have any idea?

You can train them to go in one spot, personally I just poopa scoop every morning and then do a yard check before the kids go outside

I hate the kids out where there is poop

I have a 6 month old puppy right now, he's a foster dog and I picked him up a week ago.

We're 80% toilet trained, I predict this time next week we'll be 100%. We haven't had an accident in 2 days but I don't want to get too excited just yet.

The older they are the faster they train up in my opinion as they can hold their bladders longer and they have a better understanding of what you're trying to achieve. 100% consistency is the key.

By yelling at a dog, smacking it or rubbing its' nose in it all you have taught it is not to do it in front of you.

I have a toilet training e-book if you would like a gander.

You can use 'cue' guides if you just want the dog to toilet in one area and you can do that with different methods but remember you must keep this area clean, cleaning up at least twice a day if you area is only small.

Edited by sas

On an issue other than toilet training...I hope these dogs have a kennel each to sleep in and keep the wind and rain off them and are not just left in the yard to sleep without shelter. I note you said your GSD sleeps under the canopy but that isn't enough shelter for her.

When your daughter is in the backyard where the dogs are you need to be there with her. Dogs and children should not be left together unsupervised.

Hi, thanks for your concern. The JR has his own kennel to sleep in but he never use it and wee inside :laugh: . No matter how many times I clean and wash it, Captain will just pull his wool lining out and wee inside. For my GSD, she has her timber bed with wool lining under the canopy which is about 20 square meter and conect with garage.

I have a 6 month old puppy right now, he's a foster dog and I picked him up a week ago.

We're 80% toilet trained, I predict this time next week we'll be 100%.

The older they are the faster they train up in my opinion as they can hold their bladders longer and they have a better understanding of what you're trying to achieve. 100% consistency is the key.

By yelling at a dog, smacking it or rubbing its' nose in it all you have taught it is not to do it in front of you.

I have a toilet training e-book if you would like a gander.

You can use 'cue' guides if you just want the dog to toilet in one area and you can do that with different methods but remember you must keep this area clean, cleaning up at least twice a day if you area is only small.

Thanks heaps! I'd like to have a look of the book :laugh: I did a lot of reading but non of them talk much about the toilet training.

Edited by joy4land