My Dog Just Had A Fit Or Seizure

SueM

Thanks staffy-lover. I have purchased some fish oil tabs and have been spiking them and squeezing the oil into his food. These ones have a really hard 'plastic' type coating that seem much harder then normal but I will start putting them in as they are.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I've just read through the entire thread. I suspect Molly may be epileptic too. She has had a few episodes and after watching Harvey's video (thanks Vari for posting it up), I'm fairly certain Molly is having seizures.

I'll be getting her to a vet once we move and settle in. She obviously isn't bothered by the seizures but it certainly scares me. :thumbsup:

I'll be getting her to a vet once we move and settle in. She obviously isn't bothered by the seizures but it certainly scares me. :thumbsup:

Best to take her as soon as possible LM. The important thing is to not let her overheat during the episode and keep her out of harms way during the seizure. No need to hold her or turn her over, just let her go through it, keep her cool and be there when she comes out of it with gentle patting and soothing tones.

I'll be getting her to a vet once we move and settle in. She obviously isn't bothered by the seizures but it certainly scares me. :(

Best to take her as soon as possible LM. The important thing is to not let her overheat during the episode and keep her out of harms way during the seizure. No need to hold her or turn her over, just let her go through it, keep her cool and be there when she comes out of it with gentle patting and soothing tones.

Yep, we talked it over this evening and have decided that we'll get Molly in tomorrow, as Ruby's got to go back for X-rays anyway...I suppose it's better to have these things happen now than in say, the middle of Central Australia, or while they're in the boarding kennels. :) I just can't believe it took so long for me to twig something was up. :o

I'd rather have the peace of mind in doing whatever we can before Wednesday (when they go to the kennels here), than worry all the way to Darwin that something serious could happen...I'm a worry-wart as it is. :D

For those with epi's on Bromide I just came across this warning about the handling of it;

Oral solutions containing potassium bromide should be refrigerated and discarded after 6 months to avoid

contamination. Owners should be advised to handle medications with gloves or wash hands after administration

as potassium bromide has been reported to cause skin rash and mental deterioration in humans who are

chronically exposed.

It is from this article;

Article link

Good news CK.

We are also doing well in the world of seizures..... nothing since January which is so unusual but it did happen once before. He went 8 months without a seizure once...... we have now hit 3 months and counting.

After over four months of nothing, Harvey had a mild seizure last night it was very short and he recovered quickly,he was jumping onto my bed at the same time as my old chi using the pet steps and they collided and it brought on a seizure...

Molly seems to be OK ATM...we've just arrived in Darwin (dogs have gone to a lovely 'home stay' type arrangement) and we haven't noticed any seizures since we left Canberra. But she's been crated in the car for a lot of the trip so it's impossible to have watched her the whole time.

I need to find a vet pronto as Molly's blood work needs doing in two weeks' time. :wave:

LM, I can always tell Monte has had a seizure by the sides of his face being wet or the fur hard as he drools a lot and it sits under the side of his face. This is the first thing I check and then I look for signs of wet patches from drool anywhere on the floor.

Wow!! Watching that Youtube footage it seems that this is exactly what Bobby had today... A seizure!!

The poor mite would recover tho and be trembling and panting, then relapse into another seizure all stiff and googley eyed again.

Thank for posting that Varicool!! It proves very helpful.

So what does fish oil aid with? I just bought some for human consumption but is it worthwhile giving Bobby some??

So what does fish oil aid with? I just bought some for human consumption but is it worthwhile giving Bobby some??

The Neuro that both Staffy-lover and I have seen (Ryde Speciliast Clinic - Dr Georgina Childs) recommends it as it is beneficial for the brain (exactly how I am unsure). I have started my guys (all of them... and the cat!) on 1 capsule a day. The main difference I have noticed is in their coats. I have always fed sardines but the fish oil has made a big difference, particularly for the cat.

The Neuro that both Staffy-lover and I have seen (Ryde Speciliast Clinic - Dr Georgina Childs) recommends it as it is beneficial for the brain (exactly how I am unsure). I have started my guys (all of them... and the cat!) on 1 capsule a day. The main difference I have noticed is in their coats. I have always fed sardines but the fish oil has made a big difference, particularly for the cat.

Ok. Great information. Human fish oil tabs ok to give?? I will incorporate these into Bobby's diet.

Thanks Varicool. Bobby is now at Sydney Vet Hospital under observation and having blood tests. See *Oh Lordy what an afternoon* thread for more details.

Just wanted to add that he is being fed a diet of tuckertime (free of preservative, artificial colours and flavours) and chicken necks/wings. Will also add some sardines to his diet and the fish oil tabs...

As I believe seizures/epilepsy is diet related as far as preservatives, etc are concerned??

Human fish oil tabs ok to give??

Yep :)

At Priceline they currently have a special on glucosamine tabs (i take these for runner's knees) and fish oil tabs under the Nature's Own brand. I think it was around $19 for both. 200 tabs in each.

Just wanted to add that he is being fed a diet of tuckertime (free of preservative, artificial colours and flavours) and chicken necks/wings. Will also add some sardines to his diet and the fish oil tabs...

As I believe seizures/epilepsy is diet related as far as preservatives, etc are concerned??

Depending on what meds they put him on he may need to have all sodium reduced as this can play havoc with certain epilepsy meds. Also avoid carbs. I have stopped all rice, pasta and many limit kibble.

His thirst will increase with phenobarbitone and he will also need to go to the toilet more frequently. His appetite will also increase but all of these symptoms will depend on the doesage.

Be prepared for many, many months of sorting out his meds.

Hmm, should not have written a message saying all is well! KC had a seizure last night about 11pm. This is the first full one since mid-January. Well, usually she seizes, brought on by being stressed about something. This time she was asleep, but she had the seizure and afterwards there was none of the usual frantic running afterwards and no pacing either, she just looked at me, wagged her tail and went back to sleep. I gave her another 30mg Pb. She is a bit dopey this morning. We have vaccinations this Friday for both dogs and the cat, they are all done every 2 years. I'm not worried about the actual vaccination, more that just being at the vet makes her very stressed. I'm hoping having most of her family there will help! She likes the cat a lot and is quite protective of her, so I'm hoping that takes her mind off visiting the big bad vet.