Terror Terrier!

Billdog

My little girl is almost two now, she is a silky cross. She went through the horrible puppy stage, pooing and weeing in the house, chewing mummy's undies and daddy's shoes, pretty much anything that she could sink her teeth into...as they all do. That was fine, I knew she would grow out of it. Which she did. She has been excellent for almost a year now, but all of a sudden she's started doing it again. I keep finding little suprises in the corners of rooms, under the dining table etc. The other night she even pooed in our bed!!

I don't know what's going on, or more importantly, how to fix it. I love her to death, she's my pride and joy, but I'm tearing my hair out!! Any help would be a blessing...

Concerned parent

;)

I am guessing she knows obviously that she is not allowed to do it inside... Attention seeking maybe, have you ignored her laterly (been too busy, etc)?

Sorry, that is all I can come up with, not really an expert on dog behavour.

Just thought I say good luck!!!

Well not much has changed, that's the thing!! I initially thought it may be attention seeking, or trying the passive dominance business on me...But I'm not sure, I hope she's not sick...I just couldn't believe it, in our bed, while we were sleeping!!

I think the problem was you just waited for a problem to solve itself. And what makes you think its passive dominance? What other behaviours is she showing?

What are her meal times and food like?

Why is a dog you suspect to be dominating you allowed on the furniture?

How often does she get to toilet?

Are there any more undesirable behaviours going on?

What do you do when you find a mess?

From what i can see this dog has little respect for you and has not been taught proper toilet manners. If there is no medical reason, and I would get her over to a vet ASAP for a checkup, then suspect behavioural. But I need more info before giving you any tips

Edited by Nekhbet

Well, other reasons which make me think its a lack of respect (dominance) is, everytime we have a cuddle, or she gets pats off anyone, she always pushes your hand onto her chest (her favourite spot) and leaves her paw over the top of yours. If you try to pat her somewhere else, or stop altogether, she gets in your face and almost forces you to pat her. No doesn't mean no until you say it sternly. It may not sound like much, but its the little things that make a differece right?

As for the food and toilet...We both work during the day, so she is outside during the day, when we come home, both the back door and the front are open, so she can freely come and go. We have a routine of doing wee's just before bed, and as soon as we get up in the morning. She is spot on with that. I feed her at about five o'clock at night, when I get home. She has a mixture of roo meat, dry food, and rice. A few times a week she gets veggies mixed in with that. She doesn't get any food during the day.

When I find a mess, or a chewed piece of underwear I call her name (she comes immediately) and show her, she runs a mile. I definately don't rub her nose in it, that of course doesn't fix anything, its always after the fact, she's pretty sneaky...I taught her toilet manners from the second I brought her home, its only been the last month or so.

Reading this back I sound like the worst pet owner in the world!! She is a spoilt little brat, I'm not denying that, but I love her.

If you could swing any advice my way mate, I'll definately give it a shot.

You can not repremand a dog for something you didn't catch them doing it. Dogs don't understand what they did wrong, what they do understand is that you're not happy with then but they don't know why.

Also you're calling her and then telling her off.....what you're doing is setting yourself up for faliure, why would she want to come in the future if she knows she's going to be repremanded for it.

I would reccomend that you stop setting your dog up for faliure by letting her have free reign of the house, she can't be trusted so she shouldn't get the privillge.

yes, it does sound like your dog is demanding attention and if I were in your position I'd get onto the NILIF program straight away.

I would further suggest you head out to the book store and invest of 1 of 2 books or both:

1) Ceasers Ways

2) The other end of the leash

I really do appreciate the help guys, an outside opinion is excellent. However, at this point I would like to say that I work with dogs on a day to day basis, I know what you're saying. I am more enclinded to think that it is a cry for help as it really has been only in the last month or so.

I did not say that I repremanded her for doing anything... I simply call her to me (not in the angry voice) I pick up the poo in a tissue or the underwear (whatever) and take it to the bin. Simple as that.

This is why I am so stumped....because I don't get angry, I don't yell, and I don't smack. I don't do any of those things... I clap or come in with the quick shap response if I catch her in the act. But that is a rarety.

I might take her to the Vet for a check up and go from there. Thanks for your help.

As for the paw thing my dog does that too. Most terriers I have known are little pocket rockets and thats just a thing they do. Unfortunately you have created a few problems - No doesnst mean no unless its stern. When the dog does an unneccesary behaviour remove it immediately, you say no once. Take her outside and leave her there if needs be for half an hour, if she starts again out again. Actions speak louder then words with dogs.

but hang on - you find a chewed item, call her over and show her. There is no point to this at all. You should not engage the dog AT ALL when you clean up the pee or poo, find chewed items etc. There is no point calling the dog over it will not understand.

You let your dog have free run, close up the doors or put in some gates so she cant get to things. If a dog chews things or toilets in the house its the owners fault for allowing it. If you really want to put her on a leash that is attached to your belt or pants, or crate train her while she is inside.

I would start giving her two smaller meals a day as well, this gives the dog more regular bowel movements and there wont be as much food in her stomach overnight. Put the dog in a crate overnight, if it poos it will poo on itself. Also, stick with the nightime toilet but make sure she has gone poo as well. Heaps of praise if she does. Get some different toys adn cycle them to keep them exciting. During the day give her bones like chicken necks, lamb flaps etc to give her something to chew on. Dogs love to chew, its great for their teeth so if you dont provide they will find something to satisfy that urge.

Nek

No doesnst mean no unless its stern. When the dog does an unneccesary behaviour remove it immediately, you say no once.

If the no command has become ineffectual you can try uttering a loud sound, loud enough to get the dogs attention like

"Uh Uh" in a sharp voice but not to high.

If i was to go by the first post my reaction would be to say your not a parent but a dog owner.

Dog owners treat the dog as a dog,let them understand the pack order & have a secure pet because it nows what it is .

Parents generally have spoilt dogs that dont respect there owners or feel secure in being a dog as the owners give confusing commands reactions.

We all luv our dogs but we dont loss sight of the fact there a dog,where a human.

You probaly wont like my advice but i agree with others limit the dogs boundries, the dog only chews underwear if left laying around so instead of telling the dog off tell the humans but the most important thing "treat her like a dog" make her secure in what she is & gain her respect back .

It sounds like a dog having a toddler tantrum because it is confused

agree with the others, its a dominance problem, by poo'ing or wee'ing on your bed, your dog is covering your scent with its own, which tells me that your dog believes its at least equal, if not above you.... get on the NILIF program asap and do not allow free range in the house, it should be a privalige for your dog, not a right... my dogs are NOT allowed inside until they have done something for me and are only allowed on their "blankies" (a couch designated to them)... the only time they are allowed to get off the Blankies is to get a drink or stand at the door to let me know they need to go to the loo... may sound harsh but my dogs are very happy as they know their place and their boundaries...

Thanks sooo much guys,

I've already started implementing some new rules eg. no more lying on the couch, that's banned. I've been on her back a bit with the naughty behaviour like standing at the front door and barking at the people walking past....she's a territorial little bugger!!!

I have heard everything you guys have said, even if I don't like it so much. I totally understand that a dog can become dangerous if it believes that it is the leader of the pack, even one as small as mine.

I figured that she was not a confident dog, that she was unsure of her place in the family, making try to fill all the rolls, I think that she feels like she is the boss, the protecter, not the protected.

I'm going to change the whole dynamic in the house. The dog is going to become the dog, not my baby. This will probably be harder for me than for her, but I will persist.

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted.........

BTW, what's the NILIF program??

Edited by Billdog

Nothing In Life is Free, there is a sticky post in training I think.

Terriers although small, can be quite dominant dogs sometimes with high energy and drive. Good on you for taking things in hand. I have 2 JRTs and with the male it took some time to get on an even keel with him. Still wouldn't swap him for anything. :cry:

Billdog

A dog that is not confident can be a leader of a pack if you're not being leadership material.

It is not a healthy way for this dog to live if it's not leadership material, infact it's rather dangerous and dogs that are not confident in the position of a leader will generally aggressively as that's what works for them.

This will be very hard for you especially for the first 2 weeks on NILIF but I promise you that you won't regret it.

Billdog dont htink of it as boot camp :) my dogs are dogs, they eat from bowls, they sleep outside, but they're still my big booger babies. Its finding that happy balance and that goes dog by dog. Sit back, watch your dog for a while and understand her as a dog, dont try and humanise her actions. When you come to understand her from a canine perspective you will find life easier...

gee that is rather zen for this hour of the morning isnt it ...