Ecollar Gurus?

N: E collars are the more extreme end of training.

K9: Totally disagree with this, I have taught hundreds of people to use the e collar for hundreds of different goals, maybe 20% were for what I would call the "extreme end of training".

They can be a very reliable solution to unwanted behaviours around the home to off leash out of control dogs to just getting a reliable recall...

You dont have to be an expert to use one, with a little guidance you would be surprised how well people can get results with no side effects to their dog...

M: But this was a containment system e-collar, they are supposed to be left on 24/7, aren't they?

K9: No, the dog is fitted with the collar for some hours of the day or night where it can learn to respect the boundaries. The other times the dog should be contained in other methods or supervised.

Just like starting to wear shoes if you previously worn none, your feet would not fair so well in shoes 24/7.

I dont advocate people buying any training tool with out first seeking guidance on how to use it...

Aimhalt

On that note, has anyone seen this photo before (page 9)?

http://www.advocatesforanimals.org.uk/pdf/...hockcollars.pdf

Denis Carthy

Sorry Aimhalt, I only just looked in and saw this - yes I know the photograph, the case

and I have spoken to the vet concerned - My apologies it's late here in UK so I'll come back on it tommorow,

in short that case/photo proves beyond any reasonable doubt whatsoever that e-collars are the safest training aid

of all time. CU later.

Edited by Denis Carthy

• 1 month later...

Sorry to wander in so late on this topic. I've been using Ecollars for nearly 20 years now. I've taught hundreds of people to use them correctly. I'm one of those people who uses and advocates using the tool at the lowest possible level of stim that works, where the dog first feels it. I've written several articles that will help the complete novice learn to use the tool correctly. www.loucastle.com

He he he! Am I the only one that had a giggle when the article mentioned that on a 1-100 level collar none of the people could stand the pain on level 20 and 35??!! Ummmmm how bad was it on level 1 I wonder??Or ummmm say level 2?? Why would you crank it up to 20 and then shock yourself? :) I think that just proves that in inexperienced hands (The people testing it) then it is not a good training tool! For anyone with half a brain it works pretty darn well for the trainer AND the dog!!! :rofl::rofl:

A collar that goes from level 1 to level 100? Hummmm - anyone actually seen one with that many levels? :rofl:

My antibark collar goes 1 to 7. Looking at their website the Innotek containment system has three levels on the collar.

Aimhalt

On that note, has anyone seen this photo before (page 9)?

http://www.advocatesforanimals.org.uk/pdf/...hockcollars.pdf

Denis Carthy

Sorry Aimhalt, I only just looked in and saw this - yes I know the photograph, the case

and I have spoken to the vet concerned - My apologies it's late here in UK so I'll come back on it tommorow,

in short that case/photo proves beyond any reasonable doubt whatsoever that e-collars are the safest training aid

of all time. CU later.

Whats happened to Denis? Are we all still waiting, waiting, waiting..........

I have two toy dogs which i have on and electronic collar containment system, they only wear the collars when they are outside, which being inside dogs isnt much. They are both about 4kg and the collars are tiny and waterproof. From what i have experienced with my system and the photos of Rufus, there has got to be neglect by the owner.

BTW I am constanly getting people thinking that they are cruel :mad when i tell them what i have, they have both only had two corrections in the 7months i have had it, and that was in the beginning, i would much prefer that than having my two dogs being hit by a car or attacked by other dogs (we do have fencing aswell but they can escape it).

• 3 weeks later...
How big are the dials? Surely that must be difficult to adjust?
size of about the cap for a pen. impossible to adjust in the dark Id say.

The latest and greatest from Dogtra is the 1700 NCP. It has 127 levels but the big news is that it has an LCD readout of the level. It's similar in size and shape to the others in the "Pro" series and has the same sort of dial on top. But on the front of the transmitter there's the LCD that's backlit with a cool blue light that's easily seen at night. The light on the dial comes on when the level is changed, each time a button is pressed or when the on-off switch is quickly pressed and released. This creates some problem for LE but they're easily overcome.

I've been using it for nearly a year now and it's replaced all my other units for regular use.

As to the original post regarding "Rufus" the photos are real but much of the situation is off base. The collar in use, which hasn't been named as to the brand, was an invisible fence; a member of the Ecollar family but not an Ecollar. The problem came up because the owner didn't bother reading the manual that clearly says not to get it wet. He left the dog out in the rain, the collar got wet and the batteries leaked as they often do when they get wet.

The injuries that Rufus suffered were from chemical burns, not from the Ecollar stim. The chemicals that batteries release when they leak are very caustic. Many will have had the experience of having to throw away flashlights when the batteries leaked because they were so badly damaged.

No Ecollar available in the US puts out enough current to cause any damage. Damage can result from "pressure necrosis." Because the circulation is impaired under the contact points, if the collar is on too tight to for too long, the skin can actually die. That's why it's recommended that the Ecollar not be left on for more than 8-10 hours and that it be moved around every couple of hours.

I've spoken to the vet who treated Rufus. In a letter to his owner she said that the damage was "electrical burns" but she now realizes that she couldn't tell the difference between electrical and chemical burns without a more thorough examination. She now doesn't think that the burns were electrical in nature and she recommends Ecollars for dogs that she thinks will benefit from their use.

The problem came up because the owner didn't bother reading the manual

And how often had we heard that particular line. Used to work for a company that had RTFM stuck to the monitor of all the PCs in the training room.

(didn't help though)

Earlier I wrote,

The problem came up because the owner didn't bother reading the manual
And how often had we heard that particular line. Used to work for a company that had RTFM stuck to the monitor of all the PCs in the training room.

(didn't help though)

It seems to me that if one fails to read the instructions, one has lost any right to complain if the device doesn't work as expected.