How To Leave My Puppy Home Alone

Meetu

lillysmum,

Just as we shouldnt be expected to adhere to your nazi approach on how we should all raise our dogs.

For gods sake back off woman...

it is a dog not a replacement for a child it will grow up & adapt to its situation... not everyone is in a situation to enable them to smother their dogs with attention & feed them a kibble oops thats BARF isnt it with just a bit of kibble for your foster coz its not really your dog it doesnt count in your my dogs eat barf statement..

my god back off LILYW is already being driven away..

hopefully she will learn to hit IGNORE for your posts....and will stay & get advice from ppl that are rational.

PS YOU KNOW WHERE TO GET MY NUMBER IF YOU WANT TO COMPLAIN :laugh:

Jacqui

**ETA** I am in know way stating that I am rational here,, but there is people with a lot of good rational advice,,,,

Edited by bommy

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately there are always going to be people that disagree with the way you bring up a pup just like there are people out there who hound new mums with all the 'breast is best' and 'how dare you go back to work before your kid is school age'.

People like this annoy me because they don't stop to think how their comments can hurt people and make people feel inadequate when they are doing a bloody good job already and doing it THEIR way which is working for them!

I have a 9 week old and I and my OH both work full time. I go home at lunch to feed and play with him for an hour. He is in a 3m x 3m puppy pen with more toys than you can poke a stick at, several kongs and his crate. He spends half his time sleeping and the rest busying himself.

I take offence at anyone that tries to tell me that my dog is suffering or will turn out bad.

He is certainly not suffering and he is a happy well adjusted little man!!

Meetu, your puppy is absolutely gorgeous and looks very much loved...

Bommy, i don't want to be driven away from here cause there are some fantastic members who offer great advice and do it in an appropriate manner and also just have a good time in the process. But most of the time when i post i get criticised for bringing up my dog or puppy (didn't realise they were different animals) in a way i have been advised from outside influences is ok.. i will just have to focus on the ones that are helpful and as you said ignore the others.

FYI - my lovely girl had her final puppy school last night and won a round of applause for her current ability to sit, drop, roll over and her fantastic dinner manners. So even though my pup is at home alone during the day she is very well brought up and looked after the hours we are home... there were people in my class that are home all day that hadn't taught their dogs much at all, so i don't think it is about the time you spend with you pup but the effort, time and love you put in when your home.

Also spoke in length to my vet last night about the time alone and she advised that they are ok, they do need to get used to it, the longer you put something off the harder it is in the long run. I am not sure if their are any vets on this forum but considering she studied for many years to be at her position, i value her advice and was just trying to pass this onto those who are in the same position.

Thanks.

Edited by LilyW

Hi LiliyW - I totally understand where you're coming from as I'm in the same boat. It was a little disappointing initially as i was being criticised by everyone

here. But as you have mentioned its important that our puppies are brought up the right way. I have had a dog in the past who was pretty unmanageable even though someone was home with him all day!

I can't wait for Simba's classes to being (on the waiting list at the moment). Currently he already understands - sit, pee :rofl:, fetch, stay, kiss :laugh:

Do keep us posted on your puppy affairs.

Pawprints & Bommy thanks for supporting us :vomit:

Hi LiliyW - I totally understand where you're coming from as I'm in the same boat. It was a little disappointing initially as i was being criticised by everyone

here. But as you have mentioned its important that our puppies are brought up the right way. I have had a dog in the past who was pretty unmanageable even though someone was home with him all day!

I can't wait for Simba's classes to being (on the waiting list at the moment). Currently he already understands - sit, pee :rofl:, fetch, stay, kiss :laugh:

Have some people missed the fact that this thread is about leaving a BABY PUP alone for apparently 10 hours at a time? :rofl:

IMO (in my opinion) that's just not OK. :)

But again, I stress for those that haven't apparently picked up, this is my opinion and what I would do with a pup in my care...I would NOT leave a baby pup alone for 10 hours at a time on a regular or frequent basis.

For those of you that think this is perfectly acceptable, that's YOUR opinion and we are each entitled to hold AND express those opinions - this is a public message board after all, isn't it? :thumbsup:

bringing up my dog or puppy (didn't realise they were different animals)

Don't you think a baby animal is different to an adult animal? :rofl: Don't you think a baby animal has needs that differ from the needs of an adult animal? :)

So, if we follow your logic, then a baby human animal is also no different to an adult human animal? :thumbsup: That's frightening to me, to be honest here. :laugh:

Have some people missed the fact that this thread is about leaving a BABY PUP alone for apparently 10 hours at a time? :rofl:

IMO (in my opinion) that's just not OK. :)

But again, I stress for those that haven't apparently picked up, this is my opinion and what I would do with a pup in my care...I would NOT leave a baby pup alone for 10 hours at a time on a regular or frequent basis.

For those of you that think this is perfectly acceptable, that's YOUR opinion and we are each entitled to hold AND express those opinions - this is a public message board after all, isn't it? :thumbsup:

I understand thats your opinion lillysmum and of course it would be better for a dog or pup to have their owner home most of the time. But before i purchased my pup i asked many different people about a puppy being left alone and they all advised me that it is fine and they will adapt - if they said, no it can't and shouldn't happen then i wouldn't have gotten my puppy. And if that was a case there would be a large amount of pups and dogs that would never get homes. We were planning on getting my pup over xmas cause i have time off but after speaking with breeders they said although it can be a help it can also be bad, cause i do work and will go back and if they get used to me being home for a few weeks and then all of sudden their alone it can be worse off. I know everyone has their own opinions about everything to do with raising animals but i was just trying to put across that i have been advised by vets and breeders that it is fine and hopefully trying to make others feel better that they are not the only ones.

I read posts of people justifying how much love they give their dogs when they are home cause they work and they shouldn't have too, doesn't mean we love any less. I would never want to miss out on the pup i have at home, i adore her and have no regrets about getting her...

But in the end lillysmum if you don't agree with it, you don't - for some reason us humans love to constantly defend though :laugh:

we have just got a 16 week old ACD from rescue- now both myself and my partner work monday to fridays i work 9 till 5 and my partner works 11 till 5.30 monday-thursday and 1-9 pm on fridays so the most he is left by himself is 6 hours HOWEVER we have organised a friend to feed him his lunch and play with hima bit during the day. Caspa has access to alot of toys- kongs, soft turtle (which he loves to run around with and kill lol), tennis balls, chew toys etc etc so there is alot of mental situlation for him so for him not to become bored, lonely or desructive.

He is walked sometimes before work if time permits and also after work without fail. During the weekends and some weeknights he will come to the horses with me and get a good free run around too. He also comes to bike races and travels in the car to partners parents etc etc.

So even tho yes he is left alone for sometime the time that we spent when we are home is quality time with him and we make arrangements and as a good enviroment that can be considering our working hours

so is what i am doing with my 16week pup ok then?

No one is having a go at anyone for having to work, we have to work to support ourseves and also our animals ( i have horses and Caspa) You just have to work out whats best for them and yourself also and work on the correct enviroment and surround them with love which is definatly there in your realtionship/ownership

bringing up my dog or puppy (didn't realise they were different animals)

Don't you think a baby animal is different to an adult animal? :rofl: Don't you think a baby animal has needs that differ from the needs of an adult animal? :)

So, if we follow your logic, then a baby human animal is also no different to an adult human animal? :thumbsup: That's frightening to me, to be honest here. :laugh:

When i went to buy my lovely puppy, i brought a dog - not a cat, bird, fish etc.. a dog. I rang my mum, sister, friends and said, i got a dog. That is what i was trying to get across, so in one of my posts i referred to her as a dog, cause she is a 14 week old dog. Yet once again i got criticised for it... Puppies definitley have more needs, i am not stupid - but the way your writing to me implies i have no idea and am obviously a horrible owner, so i will just have to live with that. But if you look in my other posts i did go and refer to her as a pup as i didn't want to cause any more confusion...

I really wish lillysmum would back off people who are asking genuine questions and expressing their concerns! If they were not genuine they would not be on here posting their questions and thoughts!

Lillysmum you have an automatic response whereby it is demoralising to people!

I have kept from expressing my feelings and thoughts about your posts in my topics and other topics where your downright negative an add no value to the person seeking advice or help!

Lillysmum you can post your thoughts but try a more humane and digestible approach so that people can stomach it! Cause what goes around comes around its as simple as that!

Curious, I could care less if people disagree with my opinions b/c everyone is entitled to believe certain things to be true/correct/right for them. I respond to what people say is relevant to them and/or their pups or dogs, and in this case, a baby pup should not be left for ten hours at a time b/c they require frequent meals and toilet breaks. Not to mention someone to check on them in case of illness - a baby pup can 'crash' and die literally in a matter of hours if it gets certain conditions such as parvo virus or a severe allergic reaction...if nobody is checking on a pup for 10 hours, that's a whole lot of risk IMO. I certainly wouldn't be prepared to take such a risk and to that end, I would make arrangements to take breaks from work in order to check on and feed/toilet a pup - if this wasn't possible, then I simply wouldn't take on a baby pup but a grown dog. And that's what my husband and I have done in adopting adult dogs rather than baby pups b/c we couldn't meet a pup's needs in that respect. :rofl:

I do believe in what goes around comes around, but in a positive way rather than what is implied by your post, which could be taken as offensive and I'm sure you don't mean to be offensive. Perhaps you just expressed your thoughts poorly? :thumbsup:

In terms of baby pups being left alone, as is the topic of this thread, every vet I've ever consulted about this has indicated that a baby pup needs at least three meals per day, evenly spaced over time. It follows that the baby pup will need to go to the toilet shortly thereafter. If a person acquires/purchases/adopts a baby pup, then it follows that they must be at home (or wherever place the pup is kept 'normally') to feed that animal and to take it outside to toilet.

I have a few questions for those with pups that need three feeds or more per day where the pup is left alone for 10 hours: Who is feeding and toileting this pup? And at what time intervals does this feeding and toileting take place? Is the pup fed the required number of meals per day as separate meals, or do you feed more than one serve/meal at a time to compensate for the lack of time interval in the intervening period?

I'm really trying to understand how this can be OK to the people that have been consulted before such pups were acquired...it just doesn't 'sit right' with me.

Originally my breeder only agreed to sell me a pup because I organised for the next door neighbour to visit and feed him during the day when I was working.

He's 6 years old now, and the next door neighbour still feeds him (and the others) when I am at work :rofl::thumbsup:

Eddie was fine being home during our working hours from 8 weeks old

I stayed home the first couple of days, then came home at luch for a couple of days but found it was more disruptive to him to come and go than to stay away the whole day

I am away from the house for 9.5 hours including travel, which i would think was pretty normal for anyone working a full time job?

ETA apart from normal stafford destructo behaviour as a baby, they are both fantastic during the day, I have a feeling they just sleep all day

we do spend 99% of our nights and weekends with them trianing and playing and taking them everywhere

Edited by shoemonster

I leave home at 7.45 am and am last in the household to leave. The first person home arrives at 4.15 pm. That means our dogs are without human company for eight and a half hours, give or take a few minutes for traffic delays. I had planned to take a job that's two minutes walk from home but I rec'd a better offer...if I needed to in my current job, I could come home at lunchtime to attend to a pup. But I don't have any pups in my care and usually only foster adult dogs. :rofl:

Our dogs and fosters are all OK to be left for this amount of time. BUT they're all conditioned to it via 'alone training' and they have each other for company. Ruby and Lilly are left together (we used to separate all our dogs but have found they prefer to be together and we've had no nasty incidents as yet so will continue unless a major fight happens). I leave Molly and Piper together but separated by a baby gate b/c Piper can play too roughly and I won't take a chance that Molly could get hurt. They have company in a safe and controlled way.

IF I chose to take on a pup, I would only do so if it was appropriate to my daily work schedule - that is, if I could take a break in the middle of the day every day for as long as the pup needed this to occur. As this isn't guaranteed b/c I'm a contractor, I simply won't consider taking a rescue puppy but would always consider a grown dog. :thumbsup:

It really depends on the individual puppy on whether or not they are happy to be left

Ed was on 2 meals at 8 weeks, and he was absolutely fine with being left by himself

It it was someone who was going to work all day, come home, go out and party all night I would agree, but someone who will spend good time with their dogs at home I don't see the problem

Edited by shoemonster