How To Leave My Puppy Home Alone

Meetu

"The problem is a select few nutters, not you. My friend also was turned away from a rescue org. She eneded up adopting a pure bred pup from a registered breeder and this dog has the best life. Some rescues are just ridiculous with some of their rules."

hmmm....... and worse yet alot of breeders have caught wind of this...... soon u'll only be able to have pups if ur a desperate house wife...... *sulks*

i'm feeling rejected left and right, both breeders and shelters. 10yrs ago, boy 'o' boy was it more relaxing and enjoyable to adopt/bring a lil'soul into ur life..... now i could seriously have a brain hemorrige!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And people wonder why others go to BYB's and pet shops rather than registered breeders and rescues.

Exactly, so many good responsible owners will be put off by this sort of thing and go to somewhere they know will give them the pet that they have tried getting in a other ways

And people wonder why others go to BYB's and pet shops rather than registered breeders and rescues.

Exactly, so many good responsible owners will be put off by this sort of thing and go to somewhere they know will give them the pet that they have tried getting in a other ways

As sad as it may be, thatss what happened to us :rofl:

We found our puppy through the paper and pick her up tomorrow. Can't wait to see her again ;) :thumbsup::rofl:

As sad as it may be, thatss what happened to us :rofl:

We found our puppy through the paper and pick her up tomorrow. Can't wait to see her again ;) :thumbsup::rofl:

What breed is your pup uforia??

I read with great interest the many posts regarding leaving a puppy home during the day and i was shocked with the response.

I have two puppies - a 6month old and a 10week old. Wednesday thru to Friday both dogs are home alone for the best part of 6-7hrs - i don't think this is in any way crule or harmful to either dog. And i still wouldn't even if it was for a longer period.

Both dogs have TOO MANY toys to keep themselves busy, they have access to fresh water, shade and can even come inside as they please. They both get fed in the morning and when i come home at 5pm. The younger one has a pot little belly and definately the feeding arrangements is not harming either.

Both my dogs are taken for at least one 45min RUN each day. I take them down to KCC park and let them run loose - how can you keep a puppy locked up all day and not let it get out and run? Try telling either of my dogs they should be taking it easy. Not only do they have this run, but they are constantly playing during the day - again try telling them not to and they will sit and sulk. And yes, the little one hasn't been fully vaccinated and wont be for another 8 weeks. The older puppy is and goes to dog obediance training. We also have a cat and are surrounded by neighbours dogs, either parties or even the older dog could bring disease home even if i locked the younger one up all day.

As for people saying don't get your puppy a friend, i disagree. I got the second dog to keep the first one company (plus she was just way too cute to not get). They love each other and are almost inseperable.

These are dogs that we are talking about. I love my dogs and would do anything and spend anything on them to make sure they are loved, happy and healthy but wrap them up in cotton wool and they will eventually break!

HI Jensta,

You're puppies are absolutely gorgeous and they are lucky to have you as their owner :laugh:

Thanks for your support. Also I have been leaving Simba home alone and he is fine too so unlike what some people said its fine to leave them alone.

Cheers

M2

I read with great interest the many posts regarding leaving a puppy home during the day and i was shocked with the response.

I have two puppies - a 6month old and a 10week old. Wednesday thru to Friday both dogs are home alone for the best part of 6-7hrs - i don't think this is in any way crule or harmful to either dog. And i still wouldn't even if it was for a longer period.

Both dogs have TOO MANY toys to keep themselves busy, they have access to fresh water, shade and can even come inside as they please. They both get fed in the morning and when i come home at 5pm. The younger one has a pot little belly and definately the feeding arrangements is not harming either.

Both my dogs are taken for at least one 45min RUN each day. I take them down to KCC park and let them run loose - how can you keep a puppy locked up all day and not let it get out and run? Try telling either of my dogs they should be taking it easy. Not only do they have this run, but they are constantly playing during the day - again try telling them not to and they will sit and sulk. And yes, the little one hasn't been fully vaccinated and wont be for another 8 weeks. The older puppy is and goes to dog obediance training. We also have a cat and are surrounded by neighbours dogs, either parties or even the older dog could bring disease home even if i locked the younger one up all day.

As for people saying don't get your puppy a friend, i disagree. I got the second dog to keep the first one company (plus she was just way too cute to not get). They love each other and are almost inseperable.

These are dogs that we are talking about. I love my dogs and would do anything and spend anything on them to make sure they are loved, happy and healthy but wrap them up in cotton wool and they will eventually break!

Oh your pups are just beautiful.

You just keep doing what you believe is right for your pups. Everyone is going to have mixed opinions on this subject and yes they are all entitled to this. But my pup is home alone 5 days a week and she is ok, i am happy with her progress thus far and that is all that matters.

The younger one has a pot little belly and definately the feeding arrangements is not harming either.

Both my dogs are taken for at least one 45min RUN each day. I take them down to KCC park and let them run loose - how can you keep a puppy locked up all day and not let it get out and run? Try telling either of my dogs they should be taking it easy.

So, you have two pups home alone all day and that's OK (perhaps anyway), but you post some things of great concern to me.

A pup with a pot belly is NOT a good sign. Is this animal being wormed at the appropriate intervals? Has it been vet checked recently to rule out any potential problem?

A pup should not get hard physical exercise while its bones are soft and the pup is growing so much. A run is not a good idea unless on soft sand. And 45 minutes of running every day is not appropriate for a young animal. Your vet or breeder will explain this to you if you're in any doubt about the negatives of hard exercise for your pups.

I don't think anyone here is espousing the belief that any dog or pup should be "wrapped up in cotton wool". But what is being suggested is that a young pup (baby pup) needs to be fed and checked on at least once during the day for its own health and safety. Not to mention the owner's peace of mind. If the owner isn't able to go home at lunchtime to do this, then there are other options such as hiring a puppy walker or asking a friend/relative/neighbour who you TRUST to feed and check on your pup.

And IMO baby pups should NOT be kept outdoors unsupervised b/c they aren't able to regulate their body temperature as well as adult dogs are able to do so. So when it's HOT the baby pup feels HOTTER, and when it's COLD, the baby pup feels COLDER.