Food Drive

i think 2tollers hit the nail on the head both my working dogs take foor gently gemmas food drive has increased with age but they both still take food nicely the first few week id focus on building your relationship introducing her to new things and play you can roll food and let her chase it down hold it n you fist and let her dig it out etc but i wouldnt do too much training until shes settled remeber shes already leanring about her new home the environment house rules toilet trianing new things they are doign so much already at this age you have plenty of time for trianing you dont want her to burn out or become a frantic dog that cant settle

yeah i never thought it that way 2tollers and wheres my rock but its sooo true as my bc is very gentle taking the food always has been and probably always will be but that doesnt mean she isnt food moviated because she still is, but she prefers her tuggy anyday when doing agility, the food comes in handy wth the obedience. My toller boy he just tends to gulp the food down quick as and seems to have this look what is that all? You may never get that response from a bc.

Nope I disagree some BCs have tons of food drive, although of course there are some situations where these usual piggy BCs might refuse food such as when they are working sheep. I know a number of BCs who would turn themselves inside out for a treat - mine being one of them although there are a few circumstances where she is more interested in what she is doing to want treats.

Guess it comes down to the individual dog rather than a breed generality. But I would agree you might find once she settles that she is more receptive to food.

Today after following someones advice I am handfeeding her her meals. Tonight before I gave her each piece, I c/t. Then I threw her dry food a few feet away, and when she was about to eat, and turned her head I clicked and threw a piece the other way. She was running towards the food. Looked quite funny trying to watch a puppy do a side turn quicker than what she wanted.

Later played with tug. Got my daughter to hold her and say ready set go, while I ran off with the tug. Then played two toys game, she retrieved the tennis ball straight to hand.

Whilst im not experianced with pups, i think your expecting to much from her.

A bit like expecting a new born baby to crawl.

IMO You haven't even had her a week, she is only 8-9 weeks old.

And your doing far to much to quick, let her settle in, get over missing her mum and siblings.

Today I whilst working my toller, I had my border out. I put some chicken mince down near the border and if she was too slow the toller got to have it. The toller was very cautious about taking food from near her. I did see the border starting to eat a bit quicker. Today gave the dog bones all together, the border went and got hers, took off and buried it. I am being very careful with this exercise, there is no way that I would have my flatcoat and border eating near each other.

I have had other dogs, that were like bouncing off the walls and couldn't wait to learn as soon as I got them home. I considered that to be normal.

Maybe so but every dog is different, just because previous dogs were like that doesnt mean your future (and present pup) will be. The majority of replies have been that you are expecting too much, and are pressuring the puppy to learn to much too soon perhaps take that into account as some posters do have the experience to back what they are saying :thumbsup:

Personally i wouldnt try what you are doing with the food, making her eat it quickly before the other dog gets too it as it can develop into food guarding. JMO