Puppy Puberty?

saintlysusan

:rofl::) That's precious!

Don't worry, I know it can be hard to ignore them at times, just concentrate on your dog and enjoy the fresh air :laugh:

Unfortunately many many people don't know any better then to stare, NEVER feel like you need to explain yourself for owning a beautiful animal!

My 9 week old rottie is already humping!! His teddy, my mums staffy............. :thumbsup:

I suggest a more proactive approach than walking away is required before this pup gets much older.

You could get the kids to tell puppy "off" and then "sit" and reward. Of course you have to teach the puppy both cues.

Or you can buy them all a water pistol to squirt him with.

As you know, if you don't deal with it now, he's only going to get bigger.... and bigger.

Edited by poodlefan

yeah we treat it the same as biting really, ignore it and walk away but in the case of humping, walk faster lol..........

And laugh alot lol

Dominance is quiet hard to overcome when the dog is almost bigger than the kids but we do try.

:thumbsup: I think when my dog is bigger i will be running extremely fast.

My girl has only done it once, but never to us. My sisters girl dog humps the boy dogs tale... quite funny...

Water pistol wont work, he'll just think its a game and bite them.

We ignore it and walk away and it works, and he stops hurting them.

My kids are young and cant be expected to know what to do all the time.

Ignoring bad behaviour works.

And I forgot to say and he loves water anyhow lol

Edited by saintlysusan

I agree that it is more of a dominance thing in puppies, and I also agree with the ignoring aproach... simply if you watch other dogs interact with humping puppies, they usually ignore it... another thing that works is to pull them down (gently) and hold them next to you without saying anything until they calm down... then let them go... if they do it again, do the same thing. When my puppy was about 9-10 weeks he started with the humping of everyone, but now he only humps other dogs and no humans... I think it depends on the puppy.

the funny thing is that he learns what it is like when my sister's 6mth OES humps him!!

My friend's schnauzer cross pup had a humping problem too, I don't think it was sexual at all, but cos they have an 8 yo they were calling it "hugging". I can't tell you how many times I went over there and heard, "Ohhhh, he's hugging you!" from their kid :thumbsup:

Also remember a humping dog is also a higher risk for back injury.

I agree with poodlefan though its not something to laugh at but to address asap espeicailly in a giant breed.It isnt funny when there older /stronger & more set on what they want.I personally have scars from dogs in boarding that have tried humping especially if they have dew claws & i can guarantee you the kids wont stand a chance.

I agree also with teaching dog to sit ,then rewarding in a quiet calm fashion,if everyones reacts by laughing/excitement the dog will see it as something fun & still get hyped up.Its important to to be quiet calm & non reactive to what the dog is doing.

Also be aware off the signs prior to the dog humping,you can generally see the starting of the humping action & its important to use the "method"there & then & its important the kids are told aswell.Remember if your kiddies friends come around the last find you want is for a giant breed to be humping them & some are very determined .

Definantely sounds like dominance if doing it to the kids, our boy who was desexed at 9 wks humps our 13yr old daughter ocasionally, and I have to step in as she is too soft with him and has trouble asserting her dominance over him, we usually get her to do some obedience stuff with him to re-assert herself over him but after a week or so he starts again, our daughter like I said is very soft and loveley and has trouble being assertive, she gives him lots of cuddles and love but not much obedience so I think that is the problem.

Also he will occasionaly hump his bedding and we always make sure he knows its not ok.....he also humped everything that moved at puppy school!