Puppy Food?

Snap

have wanted to feed my dog a BARF diet ever since I heard about it. I was planning to feed chicken necks, human mince, vegetables, fish, eggs etc. But I just got an email from my breeder regarding this:

Thepuppies

will need a puppy growth biscuit for at least six

months - DONT skimp on cheap foods at this stage - you

mentioned the BARF diet previously - many vets do not

recommend this for growing pups - how do you know what

vitamins are lacking n what you are feeding. Puppy

bikkies are formulated so pups dont lack anything. if

you want to had some homecooked food the recommended

mix is 3/4 dry formula and no more than 1/4

meat,chicken - scraps etc. NEVER feed only meat this

will encourage a picky eater.

My cavs are eating Purina small breed bikkies

currently. My advice to you is BARF diets require

careful planning every week, whilst you will rely on

your parents to help, feeding with a good quality

commerical food takes the worry out of this planning

and has all the nutritional needs of your growig pup.

Do you think it's ok to feed BARF to a puppy? And with the dry food I would prefer to feed Innova or supercoat, well really anything other than Purina. What do you think?

Thanks in advance

Emily :thumbsup:

The BARF diet is the best thing you can feed your pup :thumbsup: . I feed my dogs raw meaty bones and the commercially produced BARF patties from pup to adult and their in excellent health.

It sounds as if your breeder has been 'sponsored' by that company? :love:

IMO there is nothing wrong with a well-researched BARF diet for a pup. I feed my own dogs on raw, whole foods (and have discovered they like the BARF patties available commercially, so use those occasionally), but my fosters on higher-end dry food. I believe my dogs do better on their natural diet than do the fosters on commercial dry foods. People who are scared of natural diets will say anything IMO to frighten others off them too.

As long as you're prepared to research and follow a proven method for feeding a raw diet, your pup will grow into a healthy adult animal assuming all other variables are optimum as well. :D :thumbsup:

As always, JMO. :love:

If the breeder currently has the pups on Purina then you will need to start off on that and gradually change your pup over to whatever you decide to feed, whether it's high end kibble or BARF. I doubt the breeder is getting kick backs from the company. It's only prudent to give you the name of what the pups are eating to help you with the transition. If you swap straight from one food to another you're risking an upset stomach that could be very unpleasant and messy and not a great way to introduce a pup to it's new home.

'Well researched' is definitely key with feeding raw. You need to know what you're doing. Committment is also important. I've fed my dogs on raw at different times and I've currently gone back to kibble as I just wasn't keeping up with it and was spending far too much money buying commercial substitutes when I ran out. One of my dogs definitely does better on a raw diet, but I'm not unhappy with her condition on the kibble so I don't feel she's suffering. And I will probably give raw another go down the track.

BARF is a great well balanced food if all the ratio's are correct, if it's not it may very well do more than harm than good.

As for the breeder being sponsored by a kibble company.....that was a very laughable comment.....LM are you sponsored by BARF?

I'd always be going for what the breeder reccomends, they know their breed the best.

i.e. some breeds need to grow very slowly and BARF may not be suitable for these breeds.

<I'd always be going for what the breeder reccomends, they know their breed the best.>

Hi Sas,

I posted the link for a website of a breeder of Cavaliers who has been feeding BARF for years. She swears by it. I've fed my adults BARF but been too lazy to go the whole way with litters of pups and generally puppy buyers are going to want to feed a commercial diet so found it easier to feed the pups a good dry food and send them to their new homes with a bag of it. I use Advance - though my new pup came to me on Royal Canin and she is doing very well on that.

I agree it is important to feed the pup what it is used to when you first bring it home or you will be in for tummy upsets! You can change it over gradually.

I raise my litters on a BARF diet and have found it excellent. Have to admit though it is a lot of work and it is not cheap. I probaly increased my feed bill by 3 or 4 times when I switched to BARF because all those odd bits from the butcher or supermarkets that used to be classed a rubbish and were priced accordingly have become quite expensive.

Get a copy of Billinghursts book Grow Your Pup With Bones and then look into changing to bARF.

Working out the ratios of what to feed isn't rocket science. Raw meaty bones should be the bulk of the diet and the rest should be made up of offal, vegie slop and any supplements you wish to feed. I choose to feed Dr B's BARF patties as I find it too time consuming to make them up myself.

Could anyone suggest where I would get a copy of one of these books, particually 'Grow your Pup with Bones'? I assume they wouldnt be something you would come across in Angus and Robinson at your local shopping centre. Would somewhere like Pet Cafe in Brisbane sell it? I will call them tomorrow to ask, but just in case they dont any suggestions would be appreciated!