Dogs And Cicadas

pesh

We have been innandated with cidadas, and I love it.

BUT, one of my puppies has a fettish for them, she will continuously eat them.

We let her out first thing in the morning, you can't get her back in unless you physically bring her in. She's out there scrounging about looking for that tasty tidbit.

She's now found they are also good to tease her brother with, as he's not quite as cluey as she is. Right now she's being chased by the boy, because she has one in her mouth and she's making the cedada make that noise, just to stir.

So, does anyone know what is too many cidadas in your meal is? :rofl:

yup i guess its just a CC thing - My baby girl love to eat them and run around with them making noises in her mouth - maybe it feels good. They seem to have some kind of death wish and many land/fall/crash onto my deck at dusk and get munched - i try to discourage her but she cant resist :D

i assumed they wouldnt do any harm....

Storm (whippet) and Nemo (Chinese Crested) both love cicada's, it's just not nice when they crunch them with in ear shot :) and they also munch only any beetles that fly in the doors at night, though the children and I do try and save them, but the dogs are sometimes quicker and can do amazing aerial acrobatics :(

Edited by Stormy

Mine carry them around but don't eat them.

Does anyone know why there are so many cicardas this year?

It is deafening at my place, and I don't remember them being this bad before. They have never flown/crashed into the windows like they are doing this year.

Cicada numbers go in cycles.........I can't quite remember how many years they stay underground in the larval phase.....possibly 7 years?

Anyway.....however many years ago, it was obviously a good year for cicadas. Lots of food sources etc, so they bred well.

My son is now 12 and I can remember his last year at Kindy, when he turned 5, was an incredible year for cicadas.......there were millions of the bloody things.......and he collected shoe boxes full of shells. :) I hate them! ;)

Fortunately one dog is scared of them....she is a woose! The other one chases them, then he doesn't know what to do with them and lets them go. :(

My son is now 12 and I can remember his last year at Kindy, when he turned 5, was an incredible year for cicadas.......there were millions of the bloody things.......and he collected shoe boxes full of shells. :rofl: I hate them! :cry:

Sorry in advance :cry:

My son (Toby aged 7) is the same, we went camping last weekend and Toby had be-friended one on the day we were leaving.

100_1682web.jpg

It was the first live one he had seen, after weeks of collecting shells!! YUK!!

the house that Toby built :)

100_1702web.jpg

I took this photo for him to take to school, he had found one that had died while it's shell was splitting, I know it's grosse, but it was interesting :rofl::( :p

100_1692web.jpg

100_1693web.jpg

Oh and BTW, the live one stayed with him for hours untill we had packed up and gone home!!

:love: Toby is very brave!!

last year we were up at the same camping spot, all sitting around the fire one night (when I say all, there were 7 adults 7 teenagers and 4 smaller kids) and this big huge massive beetle thing flew on to one of the 16 yr old boys foot, he flung it off and took off and the whole site was cleared within 3.2 sec ;) all bar Toby!! He said "What....?" walked over picked it up and threw it back in the bushes :clap:

This thing was soooooo big, imagine the size of the cicada, double it! and it was all beetle!! Big brown ugly thing with big knobly antanae, no word of a lie it would have stood 2 inches high :)