More Or Less Barking If One Puppy Or Two?

UltimatePup

One puppy, if left alone by their human for a couple of hours, will no doubt whine and perhaps bark. In your experience, do two puppies raised together make less noise when left alone than a single puppy does?? (... or more ... or about the same?)

Also, is there an age - i.e. a standard developmental stage - when puppies naturally stop whining to be reunited with their 'pack'?

Thanks.

------------------------

Edited by UltimatePup

I'm no expert - But I think maybe if there were two puppies they would find more comfort in each other. But I guess it depends on your puppies personality and how old they were when taken away from the pack etc. But I'd probably suggest less barking/whinging if there were two as they might find comfort in each other?

...I'd probably suggest less barking/whinging if there were two as they might find comfort in each other?

That's the theory I'm working too, Jem! But seeing as I've never raised two pups together, I'm hoping that furparents who're raised both ones and twos can inject some practical experience into our theory ;) ... otherwise I could end up with a very noisy 15 year experiment ;).

UP

I have raised 2 puppies together a few times. They do tend to bark and whine less because they have each other. However I have large breed puppies, so I have to separate them quite young anyway so they don't hurt each other. I keep them in pens close beside each other, so they can see each other through the fence, but initially on separating them they whined a little anyway, and sometimes their playing and play fighting through the fence is quite noisy. I guess if you have a smaller breed that you don't need to separate they would be fine.

what breed are we talking about. I have a Dogue and a Malinois. You would think they keep each other amused but she still goes off on a tangent and woof a lot. But Miranda has a point - when they play you will be getting more noise.

As for whining, if you cannot provide adequate attention to your dog, no matter what age, it will whine. Pups get over having to physically be with its littermates anywhere from a day to a week, but a lot of tough love is involved. My dogs were both fine and quiet.

It really does tend to depend on the individual dogs themselves and how they interact with each other.

Sometimes one by itself can be very quiet and sometimes two together can be very noisey as they bark when they are enjoying each others company and involved in a game.

Even when there are two together and they are not playing, around about 4mths old they seem to become 'watchdogs' - that is one will assume the role of guardian and the other will be the backup! :(

You might be lucky and have two really quiet, well behaved little guys! :mad