Obedience Trialling

Hi Guys

i think i might be interested in obedience trialling my boy - im a member of RNSWCC and he has been CC titled so thought the dual would be a good assett and quite fun.

i know we need to start in the novice class and i attended a trial my old club ran last yr so know roughly what one looks like (altho i was stewarding UD...)

i have the list of 'tasks' for Novice but its just that - heel on lead (can u use any collar - ie a prong :) or should it be flat) i presume they tell you where to go - turns and the such - how long is that for?

stand for exam - onlead? no probs do they let you mouth etc same as a show ring?

heel free - presume this would be the same as heel on lead without attached - but they tell you where to go...?

stand stay - how long? at a distance?

recall - how far? from a sit/stand/drop?

1min sit/down stay - in close proximity i presume on lead?

i know i could go to trial to watch these things but OT arent really all that common/or easy for me to get to - so i would tend to rather just enter and see how we go!! but would like some more info first! i dont want to look like im completely unprepared!

there are 3 in this months gazette i think i could attend between feb and march....which should give me enough time to brush up specifics

anyone care to help me :rofl:

i do go to obedience training (local club) with my girl but i dont think theyre into trialling...

Hi Guys

i think i might be interested in obedience trialling my boy - im a member of RNSWCC and he has been CC titled so thought the dual would be a good assett and quite fun.

i know we need to start in the novice class and i attended a trial my old club ran last yr so know roughly what one looks like (altho i was stewarding UD...)

i have the list of 'tasks' for Novice but its just that - heel on lead (can u use any collar - ie a prong :rofl: or should it be flat) i presume they tell you where to go - turns and the such - how long is that for?

stand for exam - onlead? no probs do they let you mouth etc same as a show ring?

heel free - presume this would be the same as heel on lead without attached - but they tell you where to go...?

stand stay - how long? at a distance?

recall - how far? from a sit/stand/drop?

1min sit/down stay - in close proximity i presume on lead?

i know i could go to trial to watch these things but OT arent really all that common/or easy for me to get to - so i would tend to rather just enter and see how we go!! but would like some more info first! i dont want to look like im completely unprepared!

there are 3 in this months gazette i think i could attend between feb and march....which should give me enough time to brush up specifics

anyone care to help me ;)

i do go to obedience training (local club) with my girl but i dont think theyre into trialling...

Not sure you would be allowed a prong collar in the ring :) , usually a check chain or flat collar. Judge will give you directions. Similarly off-lead. Usually a fairly short run out including a halt, drop & stand in each of slow, normal & fast pace + working around a figure 8 (usually stewards standing as posts).

Stand for exam is on lead, no mouth & very cursory compared to the show ring.

Recall depends on the class, I think the new CCD class is around 8m & always from a sit. Novice & above is usually the length of the ring (minus a few metres each end)

All stays are off lead, usually from the other side of the ring, unless in the higher classes which are out of sight.

Best thing I ever did was study the rules, so I knew exactly what to expect & the things that were not acceptable. It certainly also helps if you can go to a few trials & watch & train with a club that does trialling training/ring runouts.

If you want to read the rules they can be found HERE .

Edited by MrsD

Sounds like you have seen the old rules. There is a new class now, and i'd suggest you start with that CCD. Even if you feel you are ready for Novice..... good practice, and if you really are ready for novice, you'll fly through.

It goes as following:

Heel on lead 30

Stand for Exam 20

Recall 10

1 Min Sit stay 20

2 Min Down stay 20

NB: points for SFE and Recall may be reversed :).

My recommendation is to get a rule book to see what exactly is required. I'm not sure about the Prong as I live in Vic and it is not allowed. Novice now is all off lead work. All stays are done in a group (min 3 dogs, max 10) with you going to the other end of the ring. CCD is slightly less distance than novice. The judge will tell you when to turn etc. Remember you are not to talk to your dog, feed your dog etc at all throughout exercises. You can only praise your dog (voice and pats only) once the judge has said "exercise finished". No food or toys are allowed in the ring at all. As difficult as it is for you to get to a trial, I really would recommend to go to one, or at least be entered in a club that has mock trial rings set up where you can practice..... it gives you more of an idea of what you are going toward!

Good luck with it all! It is a lot of hard work to get our dogs to this level but it is very rewarding!

Thx for the replies - i looked up most of the info last yr when i was thinking about doing it over the winter - i thought the novice was the new class? ill rea the rules! - ive found the new Dogs NSW rubbish for bing able to find information/documents!

Remember you are not to talk to your dog, feed your dog etc at all throughout exercises.

What about commands? can you reinforce a command in the basic class? no food/praise is no probs....

Remember you are not to talk to your dog, feed your dog etc at all throughout exercises.

What about commands? can you reinforce a command in the basic class? no food/praise is no probs....

You can only tell your dog one command. You cannot tell your dog to 'sit' on the 'halt'. Judge says "forward", you may then say 'heel'... "down" you may say 'drop', "stand" you may say 'stand'.... "halt" you simply stop. You may not repeat any command. When you go into the fig 8 you also can't say anything. In the CCD - Open classes you can use both verbal & visual cues. In UD you may only use one or the other.

No - in general second commands will earn you a non qualifying score. There is a paragraph in the rule book which states "if but for a second command the judge feels that the dog would not have performed the principle feature of the exercise, the dog shall be given a non qualifying score" (or similar :) ) . No correction of the dog at all alllowed in the ring, including pulling on the collar or physically placing the dog in position at any time, including entering or leaving the ring & between exercises.

Hi Akitaowner

My advice is to start to train with an experienced trialler. It takes many months of training to get a dog at a competitive trialling level, even for the most experienced handler or trialler.

You will only be wasting your time and money entering if your dog is not at a competitive level.

Do you have a bullet proof retrieve and recall? You are better off as a newby to enter ccd before novice. Ccd is all on lead other than stays.

There is a vast difference in a dog that is at a competitive trialling level as opposed to a dog school dog. You need to be able to perform more advanced heeling patterns in order for the dog to fully understand what is required at trialling level.

Good luck! :)

ok ive read some of the rules MrsD posted - thats more what i remember but i couldnt find it!

we did train with a good trialling club and hes pretty good at all the ccd stuff - i think it must have been the ccd i was thinking of that they introduced early last yr?...

hes also used to being 'in the ring' from CC so should be no probs there.

i think most of the info i was looking for is in the rules - as i said hes pretty good but i needed to know where i need to work in the next couple of months before these trials.

personally i would rather waste $10 in entering him if im going to drive to the show anyway as it will cost more than that in fuel anyway, even for me to just go and watch - and its all practice...

weve done the figure of 8s and weaving - ccd doesnt look very technically difficult!

ccd doesnt look very technically difficult!

Just wanted to point something out - I'm not trying to tell you not to do it or anything. It DOES sound easy and when you watch the class you think "my dog can do that"! LOL! Just remember it is Bl**y hard once you are in there! YOU will be nervous/stressed which rubs off on your dog. I personally think (and others have told me) that my dog is a good worker... despite the fact that he lacks something between the ears *g*! BUT, we are still in CCD after 4 trials..... I thought we'd fly through... but stress does wonders for your trialling ability *g*! BTW, my dog is definitely ready for CCD/Novice.... its the stress that mucks us up.... see us at our local dog club and we'll be top scorers ;)

Just food for thought!

oh - dotn get me wrong i know the day is always very different!! but im not a nervy person and i dont care if we never get there - its was just that hes almost 3 and i had him cc titled at 12 months and was going to work on his ob trialling after that - did all the training and they said i should put him in then but i kinda got distracted and now the rules have changed!! ;)

ive been doing lots more work with him at home lately and am generally looking for more things to be working on as hes pretty good at most things i can think of!!!

Thx for the fodder!! i expect we'll get there eventually - but as i said time and distance play a factor too so when there only a few trials i would go to a yr i should prob start entering...!!

Hi all,

Maybe you should try a novice encouragement !! Its run as a trial but isnt official...This may be a good starting point for you...It will tell you what areas , if any, that you need to work on.

Cheers Brock ;)

Here is a link from my site. http://www.dogtrick.741.com/mosesobedience.htm Shows the rules.

Go to this thread http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?showtopic=86633 (under photo section, then sub section videos to share)

to see Me and Moses stutting our stuff in CCD and Novice. Don't click on Kintala comp as that is a club comp with different rules. We are in Vic Dog Magazine - January edition.

I didn't find it that hard. But my dog was more than ready for it, but I still got nervous and made silly mistakes. Such as exiting the ring by jumping over the ropes. LOL

Just wanted to point something out - I'm not trying to tell you not to do it or anything. It DOES sound easy and when you watch the class you think "my dog can do that"! LOL! Just remember it is Bl**y hard once you are in there! YOU will be nervous/stressed which rubs off on your dog. I personally think (and others have told me) that my dog is a good worker... despite the fact that he lacks something between the ears *g*! BUT, we are still in CCD after 4 trials..... I thought we'd fly through... but stress does wonders for your trialling ability *g*! BTW, my dog is definitely ready for CCD/Novice.... its the stress that mucks us up.... see us at our local dog club and we'll be top scorers ;)

Just food for thought!

Ohh yes i agree with this one lol

At a club comp Nova and I scored about 195/200, this was done under a judge and carried out the same way as a normal trial, i thought excellent will give trialling a go now.....big mistake.

I freaked out badly, was shaking and everything and off course we all stuffed up and i ended up pulling him out of stays, not good.

The dog is fine, i am the reason we arent competiting lol

Hi Akitaowner

I am hoping to trial soon too. My instructor thinks we are ready, but Diesel gets the attacks of the sillies in new environments :thumbsup: so we are going to hang around some trials and new places and get him to focus better. He was very good at training this week so we'll see how we go.

You certainly can NOT use a prong collar at a trial. You can use check chain, flat collar and I'm pretty sure martingale.

lol btw your dog shouldnt sniff or lick the judge or steward in the fig8 LOL Bode failed his first try at novice mainly due to that, i would think as a show dog he would be used to standing still while someone runs their hands over him, ccd u can be close as it is on lead but novice you are a couple of meters away.

recall distances can depend on the judge from 2/3's to 3/4's the ring length it seems in novice at least :thumbsup:

good luck!!!

LOL no idea hehe Bides was just so happy to be out again after the rest period due to the baby, i really didnt have a lot of time to work wth him before the trial so im very lucky he passed in the afternoon, i shouldnt be surprised he licked the judge he was just so happy & excited to have mummy all to himself for a change

What about licking the examiner madly on the stand for exam :thumbsup: This is likely what Diesel will do, he is such a dag!

One of my Cairns licked a judge thoughly (arms, hands and I think a bit of shoe) during stand for exam in an Open trial but didn't move a foot, so got a good score for the exercise. Well he wasn't showing shyness, fear or aggression was he!! Judge and I were giggling hysterically.

What about licking the examiner madly on the stand for exam :scold: This is likely what Diesel will do, he is such a dag!

One of my Cairns licked a judge thoughly (arms, hands and I think a bit of shoe) during stand for exam in an Open trial but didn't move a foot, so got a good score for the exercise. Well he wasn't showing shyness, fear or aggression was he!! Judge and I were giggling hysterically.

Yep, that's what my friend whos an obedience judge always says to me - right after she's stirred Jonty up into a slobbering hysterical mess when she's doing a stand for exam - "he only has to keep one foot in the same spot to get a qualifying score!" :rofl::thumbsup::rofl: