Yes Another Toilet Training Question

Danois

Hi again

I really do not know how to make this toilet training thing work and have actually been close to tears.

Angus is a 9.5 week dane who I got yesterday. He pees a lot! He was brought up rural so used to go outside when playing.

I have those pee pads which he has used a couple of times (for which he is praised and treated) but the rest of the time it is called pick a spot on the floor (thankfully I have floor boards). This last time, he started to go on his bed and I ended up raising my voice at him and saying no - which I know is not good as it confuses them and makes them think peeing is bad.

He can come and go outside and does this. I take him outisde after eating or waking up but he doesn't do anything. I am trying to use the word 'toilet'as much as I can.

He does not give off warning signs that I can see. This latest time I thought he was wanting to go so showed him the pads and said toilet Angus but no...

I was going to add a photo of 266KB but it told me it is too big - any other ideas?

Hi

Firstly toilet training takes time and you have only had Angus one day, so you will need to be patient. Angus is also a baby with little bladder control at the moment. It may take a few months before he becomes reliably toilet trained.

I would recommend training him to toilet outside and not on the pee pads (those are inside?) as you probably would like him to toilet outside all the time given the size he will be and the size of his business is likely to be!

A good way to start is to control when Angus is inside and when he is outside, that way you also know what he is getting up to. Regularly, and especially after eating, drinking, playing and sleeping, take him outside and walk around with him and give him the opportunity to go to the toilet. If he goes, use his toilet command and lots of praise! If not, take him out again in a short time. If he circles, sniffs the ground, looks like sitting or lying down, these could be signs he needs to go to the toilet.

My pup used to be the same, sometimes wee on the pads, sometimes on the floor and then on the bed. She is Bichon pup (so much more smaller than yours), and stay in a puppy pen indoor.

Anyway, when I see her wee so much on the bed, I put 2 piece of cloth on the floor, 1 for her to sleep and 1 for her to wee. When she wee on any of those cloth, I praise her, and say no when she wee on the floor. When she was about 12 weeks, she got the idea only wee on the cloth. Now I put back her normal bed cushion inside the crate and she will just wee on the cloth. I just wash the cloth after her wee everytime. Using newspaper creates more trouble than washing the cloth, cos my pup just tear and eat the newspaper (and newspaper is poisonous)

A pup won't get control of the bladder until they are about 16 weeks. So patient is very important.

Also, mark down the time when they will wee during the day, make sure you feed them at same time each day.

There is no way in God's earth I'd be offering a Great Dane pup the option of peeing inside on pads... fast forward 12 months and ask yourself if you want a dog that size toileting inside. :thumbsup:

The price of clean floors is eternal vigilance. When he wakes, after meals , after he stops playing, if he gets up and sniffs around, and even if you have a couple of minutes, take him outside, stay with him until he "produces" and praise the pants off him.

Toilet training usually takes a few weeks.

Didn't Angus's breeder give you any advice on this?

Thanks! I did get some advice but it is hard because he is in a different environment than he was with the breeder.

He has just full on peed on his bed - I suppose it is one way of making sure he will not have to sleep in it tonight!

My intention with the pee pads is that they are only a very short term solution before I can get him to go outside automatically. I had been going to move them closer and closer to the door until it was outside.

Ditch the pads, paper and pads are a waste of time if you want them to toilet outside. Unfortunately toilet training takes time, a 9 week old puppy has no bladder control whatsoever and expecting a puppy of this age not to have accidents is totally unrealistic. You need to be vigilant and consistent, obviously if your puppy has just 'full on peed on his bed' you are not being vigilant enough.

You have been given excellent advice in the previous posts, I suggest that you follow it :thumbsup:

MCM:

My intention with the pee pads is that they are only a very short term solution before I can get him to go outside automatically. I had been going to move them closer and closer to the door until it was outside.

If you want him to go outside but you are allowing him to go inside, can you see that he's getting conflicting messages about what is acceptable?

He will only learn to go outside automatically if that's the only place he gets to go at all.

Look for any signs of restlessness, sniffing etc and get him outside ASAP.

Trust me - I am being vigilant - when he went on his bed, I myself had taken 2 mins out to go to the bathroom myself.

I am not expecting him not to have accidents - quite the opposite but want to start instilling the right behaviours from the start rather than indulging him for the first few days because he is new.

Please - I am seeking some advice here - not to be criticised - I am trying my best here but am getting confused by myself as for every 5 people that say one thing, another 5 say the opposite and I just want to make sure I am doing the best thing for him

Him...who is currently stretched out beside me with his head resting on my thigh and corner of the laptop!

Hey....Yes toilet training can be a hand full sometimes. :clap: ...I would use the words do a wee wee" or "do a poo" :love: ...I myself toliet trained my 5 months old dachie for a good 3 months stright took him out every hour after every meals.. his last wee for the nite would b around 10pm i use to take him out once duing the nite then again at 5am... since i have done this n stuck to it he runs to the door and tells me he needs to go out.. he runs out then he runs in ... :( he also holds onto his wee's alil longer now also... he has done a few mistakes in the house but thats bound to happin. the last 2 months there has been nothing... In myself i think he is fully toilet trained now (lol) i hope

Good luck :thumbsup:

cheers :)

MCM:

Please - I am seeking some advice here - not to be criticised - I am trying my best here but am getting confused by myself as for every 5 people that say one thing, another 5 say the opposite and I just want to make sure I am doing the best thing for him

Sorry if I sounded critical - that wasn't my intention. Welcome to the wonderful world of dog training - there will be many opinions and methods of training anything. :clap:

Listen to all the methods, decide what you want to try and BE CONSISTENT. However, don't encourage or allow your baby puppy to do anything you don't want him to do as a fully grown dog.

Next time take Angus to the loo with you or lock him outside - pups have absolutely no sense of timing. :thumbsup:

Edited by poodlefan

Next time take Angus to the loo with you or lock him outside - pups have absolutely no sense of timing

Trust me...he is just the wrong height to take to the bathroom with him....laugh:

I was lucky last night - he went to bed with me at around 11pm and hoped up at 5.30am again when I got up and went straight to the toilet on the bedroom floor LOL! He did not want to get at 3.30 when I got up.

PHEW...I might change his name to smelly bum!!

Id be still taking him out when u wake up weather he likes it or not.. i also spent a good 5 mins or so walking around the back yard.. n yeah he went from there :thumbsup: Yes i had the same prob with him waking up n peein on the floor... so i now carry him outside :clap: so he knows he has to do it outside

Cheers :love:

We had a break through!!!

He woke up after his post dinner nap and so I took him outside and wandered around the backyard for a good half an hour. I knew he wanted to go as he was chewing on my pants leg and then came up to the back door several times (and barke at his own reflection!). Nothing was happening so I got one of his pee pads and put it outside and what do you know...he peed! I lavished the praise and the treats and I think he got the idea!

Added - oh it was a great breakthrough - as I was typing this post he went out the side door to the tiny courtyard, (typical terrace) and pooed there. This is where he will be going once he is home during the day and has the run of the house (not for a little while based on the pile beside me of things not to steal and chew!)

CavNrott - I was not meaning the people here re 5 people etc - I was referring to all the reading I have done on a number of sources. Trust me I appreciate what I have been told especially as I have put it into practice and it worked!

PS Thx Dax - good idea!

Edited by MyCatMilo

We had a break through!!!

He woke up after his post dinner nap and so I took him outside and wandered around the backyard for a good half an hour. I knew he wanted to go as he was chewing on my pants leg and then came up to the back door several times (and barke at his own reflection!). Nothing was happening so I got one of his pee pads and put it outside and what do you know...he peed! I lavished the praise and the treats and I think he got the idea!

Added - oh it was a great breakthrough - as I was typing this post he went out the side door to the tiny courtyard, (typical terrace) and pooed there. This is where he will be going once he is home during the day and has the run of the house (not for a little while based on the pile beside me of things not to steal and chew!)

CavNrott - I was not meaning the people here re 5 people etc - I was referring to all the reading I have done on a number of sources. Trust me I appreciate what I have been told especially as I have put it into practice and it worked!

PS Thx Dax - good idea!

He'll learn. More importantly for you though....don't stress if it's on floor boards. It can be cleaned up. He's only a baby and he'll get the hang of it and even prefer to go outside eventually. My first boy was trained on paper but after that all others were trained to go outside mostly by my first male who kindof ushered them outside.....such a good lad for helping his mummy like that. Even though he had started going outside by about 12 weeks, he liked to pee at our front door. So I put his water there. Then he peed a few times in our hallway in the same spot so his water went there too. He didn't pee where he drank so that stopped him doing that.

Funny story: I gave my parents a baby Westie from my first litter and they were all house trained by about 9-10 weeks although there was still the odd accident because all they know is I gotta go NOW. Outside is a long way to walk with little legs. Anyway, I boasted to my folks how good she was because she was house trained when blow-me-down-with-a-feather THAT INSTANT she came bolting in thru the doggy door, squatted on Mum's cream woolen CARPET then bolted straight back outside. :) My father looked at hubby and me and said "ah ha! So outside's for playing and inside's for peeing." Just goes to show she was confused at the change in environment. I still haven't lived it down. :)

With the bed thing, a tip I got was to wash it in bio zet as it actually breaks down the enzyme, if not the smell may remain after it is washed (to a dogs nose) and your pup will return to its pee spot. also use vinegar on the floors for the same reason.

And at your pups age I was setting an alarm every 3 hours through the night.

Chloe is now three months old and if she has the zoomies she sometimes just stops mid zoom pees and then carries on :), so this is also a sign to get her outside

ahhh the joys of parenthood :)