Should I Clip My Golden Retriever?

laffi

Guest kitakins

wow i just saw the furminator video too! i want!!! ive always hated it how the rakes dont work when the shedding season slows down, but the furminator looks like it still grabs the fur. do they hurt at all?

woah! polapaws.com.au want $100 for one! thats just ridiculous! how do they justify the price? its not made of gold! *skips off to ebay*

Edited by kitakins

wow i just saw the furminator video too! i want!!! ive always hated it how the rakes dont work when the shedding season slows down, but the furminator looks like it still grabs the fur. do they hurt at all?

woah! polapaws.com.au want $100 for one! thats just ridiculous! how do they justify the price? its not made of gold! *skips off to ebay*

no they dont hurt at all, my sibes love it.

we got ours from the US, i know a few ppl sell them her now

but i thinkits still cheeper to get them from USA

Guest kitakins

yeah definately. most US stores ive googled are selling the large one for 45USD and ebay have it at a starting bid of 28USD. 100 from an aussie retailer is just madness. i have an akita, do you think i should go with the large?

no they dont hurt at all, my sibes love it.

we got ours from the US, i know a few ppl sell them her now

but i thinkits still cheeper to get them from USA

So if I want to buy just one, what size would you suggest. My Goldie is a bit on the small size for a boy.

Go with the large for any dog over a Cocker size.

I use the large on my Sibes and it works great.

i have all 3 sizes, but i tend to use the larrge on most dogs any way.

the blade size is the same on all 3 sizes, you just cover more area with a larger tool

Edited by lea

I hesitated for ages about getting our 2 Tibetan Spaniel girls clipped (the breed has a double-coat, & these girls were ex-showgirls, Aus Champions. now desexed pets).

Last summer I did so. They looked beautiful ( tibs have solid little bodies so didn't look like plucked chickens), were more sprightly & bounded around like shorn lambs. Also watching for fleas ticks, & the beginnings of hotspots was much easier. Have got them clipped again this summer.

I take the point that this may alter their full coats...but in this hot climate, I'll wear that. Tho' I notice a difference between the 2 Tibs (from different bloodlines)...one's coat grows back as if it's never been touched, the other goes wavier.

the blade size is the same on all 3 sizes, you just cover more area with a larger tool

Back again!

Just one more question - are the blades replaceable, and if so do they come with spare blades.

Hmmm...... that was TWO questions ;)

Guest kitakins

and thats $52AUD too, not USD! ;) bargain! there are heaps more though. i think the large and medium sized blades can be replaced.

I used to do dog grooming and clipped heaps of GR's and a few Labs. The Lab's coats tended to grow back normally, but the GR's tended to grow back thicker. The clients who had this done were always glad they did and found their dogs seemed cooler. I think generally though, if you clip your dog once, you need will need to do it again.

If you want the dog to be cool, perhaps try just clipping its belly (leave the body hair long enough so you don't notice). Dogs lose a lot of heat through their bellies and will cool down easily if they lay on concrete/tiles. It also means there is no risk of sunburn. ;)

Back again!

Just one more question - are the blades replaceable, and if so do they come with spare blades.

Hmmm...... that was TWO questions ;)

Honestly i couldn't tell you, mine are still like new after 2 yrs, and they get a fair work out on all different breeds.

The blade is such good quailty i think it will probable last at leat 5 yrs maybe more.

Honestly i couldn't tell you, mine are still like new after 2 yrs, and they get a fair work out on all different breeds.

The blade is such good quailty i think it will probable last at leat 5 yrs maybe more.

Thanks for the information lea ;)

kitakins, I was on ebay last night and for $49.00 AUD (postage & ins. included) I have a new large size furminator :swear: . Well, in a couple of weeks I hope!

i have a boarding kennel so it gets used at least 3/4 times a week.

Or did you mean how often would i use it on my own dogs?

If so, the schnausers, about twice a week, keeps coats in lovley show condition

sibes, when they are shedding

I have all 3 sizes, that are as good as they look, i also have the coat king, and the furminator

will do the same job in less the half the time of the coat king.

Infact, i havent used my coat king in over 2 yrs.

:laugh: just got my coat kings this week :eek: