Bloating

morphjk

I have just got my second Labrador puppy (the first one is 10 months). I got him when he was 8 weeks old and I have noticed that after eating he seems to bloat a fair bit. Am I feeding him too much? The food doesn't seem to be an issue. My other Lab didn't bloat and is on the same food which is Royal Canin Maxi Junior.

I just didn't have the trouble with my other pup.

is his stomach tight like a drum or just full of food :)

how much food do you give in a meal? Puppies can fill up like balloons after eating. Does he burp a lot after? Maybe he's swallowing a lot of air as he eats.

Myf has the same problem, we find she 'farts like a trooper' and one can see the corresponding stomach falling away.. Stinks like all hell. Oh calls her the Zepplin after a feed. We now give her 'controlled' feeds, three tablespoons at time to stop her gulping her food down... :)

is his stomach tight like a drum or just full of food :)

how much food do you give in a meal? Puppies can fill up like balloons after eating. Does he burp a lot after? Maybe he's swallowing a lot of air as he eats.

1/2 to 3/4 of a cup. His stomach doesn't seem tight. He does eat super fast. While my other one wasn't so interested in food.

Myf has the same problem, we find she 'farts like a trooper' and one can see the corresponding stomach falling away.. Stinks like all hell. Oh calls her the Zepplin after a feed. We now give her 'controlled' feeds, three tablespoons at time to stop her gulping her food down... :)

Maybe I need to do a controlled feed with him as well

To slow the eating down.

Place LARGE polished stones/rocks into there bowl. They will then have to eat around the rocks/stones.

Make sure there large enough so they don't eat them, and you supervise them at all times when you do it.

Polished stones work well, easy to keep clean. We used to wash ours in the dishwasher.

Worked for one of our dogs many years ago.

pups stomachs will swell. If the pup is nto showing symptoms of discomfort, extreme burping, stomach cramps etc there is no need to control feed. At such a young age you will be feeding the dog all day at that rate, not a good habit forming technique.

check with your breeder/vet if you are worried. True bloat causes tight, hard stomachs, the dogs LOOK uncomfortable, scratch at their tummmies, lie akwardly etc but pups will be pups.

Have you tried soaking the food first too? If the pup gulps down all that dry then has a big drink of water it will swell up. Soak the food first and give the same amount.

Have you tried soaking the food first too? If the pup gulps down all that dry then has a big drink of water it will swell up. Soak the food first and give the same amount.

I do soak the food before I give it to him. I did this with the last one as well.

doghouse have you tried Inner Health Plus capsules? air doesnt really smell, my dogue burps something chronic but it only stink when he's intestines are out of whack. That or maybe its something in his diet

Are these the ones for Humans??? Thanks a million !!

I dont know what the pups eat to make them stink .. usually the remains of days old lamb shanks that they have hidden... That could be it...

doghouse yup my mastiff was the same ... he used to smell like rotten chicken/lamb when he burped and farted it was disgusting. Did the dog go on antibiotics or was a little under the weather at any point? Mine had a case of folicullitis and the strong antibiotics made him STINK! He smelled like a sewer I couldnt go near him poor bugger.

The ones in the little fridge at chemists etc, shove one down his throat between meals. He might get a little gassy before they kick in properly but trust me, within a week his stink was gone and he was a happier boy.

Well it looks like it was worms that was causing little Kaos to bloat. I happened to worm him yesterday and apparently while I was at work last night he vomited. And my wife said that it looked like he been eating macoroni noodles. I had him booked into the vets today anyway and when I told them thats what they though it was. So hopefully that is what it is.

Well Kaos has bloated again but this time I think I know why. It looks like he has gotten into the kitchen with my dads dog Storm and that Storm has dragged a large (missing 2 slices) pizza down of the bench and that they have had a merry time eating it. So I think Kaos has stuffed himself full of pizza. I wasn't happy when I found it. Someone else had been watching him for me and had been keeping a close eye on him and I came back to find the pizza box on the floor with 1 slice left.