New Beagle Puppy Concerns

beaglenewb

In the morning he was bright and active and by lunchtime he was a sleep and when we got home he was still a sleep ! Should I be alarmed or is he beginning to settle in. The last four nights have been rough he begins barking in the early morning about 1 am and then after that every 2 hours for about 15-25 minutes. Do you think he is really tired today due to four nights of uneven sleeping ? Or should I be getting a vet to check it out ?

Nothing to worry about puppys in general sleep alot. My beagle is 6 months and will still sleep quite a few times a day.

The food thing also is fine. Puppy simply might not be hungry, he will eat when he is ready. Depending on the weather sammy will sometimes skip meals.

I had the same concerns with my puppy when I got her but the vet soon cleared them up for me.

Hope this helps.

Hi All

Poos are normal and he has done his buisness thorough out the day. Maybe he is also mentally tired since I did fit in a training session in. He was tired before that though. We will just have to see ! It's just that the change was so rapid it was unexpected ! I have just left the food and water in the corner if he is hungry overnight. Normally he chomps through his food in minutes !

Also he has not spewed

Edited by beaglenewb

If you can check his gums, they should be a nice pink colour. Just a thought, were you doing some training this morning with him? He may well be mentally and physically tired if he was over worked. If he is still lethargic and refuses food in the morning I would find a way to get him to the vets for a check up. But keep an eye on him during the night just to be on the safe side.

One last thing, have you taken him anywhere this weekend (ie: parks or sports grounds) other dogs might have been?

opps you posted while I was typing

Edited by Freckles

Do you think he caught something at RSPCA. I held him off the ground as much as possible. In the room where he was checked by the vet he did sniff on the ground etc and did bite the door stopper on occasion but I am pretty sure that it was hygenic. I know the metal observation bench is since the vet sprayed it with antibac when we left. But I also think that RSPCA would take the necessary precautions wouldn't they ?

Ok keep an eye on him for as long as you can (I know you will have to sleep). It is possible for pups to find things in the yard that aren't too good for them so supervision and finding out what might pose of problem and removing it is a must. If you can make a list of any plants you have in your yard and check with your vet if they are dog friendly.

Hope pup is just tired and has you on your toes again by tomorrow. Please keep us updated if there is any change

Yeah

I was talking to another DOL member by Pm and she just PM'd me back and toldme that I should let him sleep whenever he wants and as long as he wants.

I think I did some wrong by waking him up since I was afraid he would be too energetic at night time and would keep the whole family up ! I guess I should not do that anymore.

Have I done any permenant damage from waking him up if he sleeps to long ?

no no damage has been done. but try and think of him as a human baby (but don't treat him like one :laugh: ). Would you wake a new born baby? They wake when they are hungry and so will your pup. It will take time but he will learn that there is a suitable bed time and also when it is a suitable time to play.

ohh my, takes me back when we brought Lola home for the first time.

She is just settling in.. like all babies make the most of it.

If the poos are good, the eating is happening and she is bright eyed and bushy tailed for the rest - relax and puppy proof the house because hold onto your hat, the next few weeks are going to be frantic..

When we broght Myf home she was traumatised from the pet shop and when we finally got her settled and sleeping she slept for nearly 3 days straight.. and then flew into being a puppy with a vengance..

Hang in there...

Hi All

I think Oslo is the other way around ! He took his vengence on the first 3 nights and tonight he is settling in

NEW UPDATE AS OF 6:00 AM EST

Oslo woke up about 5:50 AM. The whole family finally got a good nights sleep. He has begun eating again so that must be a good sign. Hopefully he will wake up at maybe 7 AM tomorrow hopefully. He has got a new plush dog friend that barks when you pull the sock out of his toung. Oslo seems comforted and spends his time chewing his new friend LOL

Darn dogs - do we ever stop worrying over them? Mickey is 13 months old and always leaps out of bed to greet me each morning - this morning, no sign of him, panic! He's curled up under his blanket and came out quietly looking sleepy. Nose and gums checked, temp taken, tummy felt, all OK! Running around now in his usual hectic way, had his breakfast, nothing wrong with him just his stupid mum having a panic and I've had dogs for over 50 years so be prepared for years of minor panics :confused: Actually it's worse than having kids, at least they can tell you if they're not feeling OK!