Unsure About Cocker Problems !

frank

WELL BAILEY MY 12 WEEK OLD COCKERSPANIAL , is giving me a few worries . it's the tear stains ; everyone keeps telling me it is normal . but when i was looking at pets in the petshop( pups,) i did not buy ones with evident tear staining. so i bought from a breeder . and now have a dog with the worst tear staining i have ever seen. he is orange roan . i took him to the vet for it 2 weeks ago , and the vet gave him the all clear , saying ( IT'S NORMAL ) and his eyes aren't red . i kinda disagree on that one . his eyes are not red up top, but on the bottom they are . his tear stains always appear moist as well. also starting to notice that his lower eyelids sometimes SAG. WTF !!!!! he is only 12 weeks old not 13 yrs .

i do love him dearly though and guess i'll just have to accept this ( normal or not ) nothing we can do about it . it 's not necessarily stains that worries me . it's the wetness, and perhaps saggy eyelids ( lower )

a friend mentioned to me ( AFTER I BOUGHT ONE ) upon telling him of my purchase . OHH !! DID YOU KNOW COCKERSPANIALS HAVE EYE PROBLEMS ITS VERY COMMON . ( JEEZ, TELL ME NOW . ) !!!!!!

H starts puppy school on wednesday . we will ask the vet nurse for her opinion , then he gets his 12 week vaccination on saturday . abreeder here has pm'd me and recommended a very good vet . at richmond . i think i will get the dog vaccinated there and an eye check as well

the vet where i took my dog to ( colyton vetinary hospital is very good as well ) (TOM) and he said the eyes were good and the pup is healthy . which i do believe apart from eyes . I HOPE HIS EYES ARE OK , because i have had enough :scold: lately with animals .

OHHHH AND " RIPLEY IS VERY HOT LOOKING " I JUST THOUGHT I'D THROW THAT IN :rofl:

Frank? Stop stressing and just enjoy your baby.

Some cockers have slightly droopy eye rims. Babies especially, when they are tired and/or teething. Don't forget that puppies sleep a lot and will therefore produce a fair bit of normal eye discharge.

If the vet is not concerned, you don't need to be either.

Edited by Toohey

Frank? Stop stressing and just enjoy your baby.

Some cockers have slightly droopy eye rims. Babies especially, when they are tired and/or teething. Don't forget that puppies sleep a lot and will therefore produce a fair bit of normal eye discharge.

If the vet is not concerned, you don't need to be either.

THANKS TOOHEY . i took a deep breath in relief after , your reply . i guess i'm just worried , and dont want him to be unhealthy . if it is normal it is all good .

Frank, I have a gold roan, that from time to time has red eyes and some tearing. It can look alot worse when she has been out in the wind/dust. Her lower lids are also not as tight as preferred. We love her look, it gives her character.

It is nothing to worry about. As Toohey said, as long as your vet is happy, don't worry.

I dont' care what anyone says. Tear staining is NOT normal for any dog. It can be caused by:

* Lose eyelids allowing dirt to cause irritation... but your vet has given the all clear.

* Diet. Too much preservatives and colourings in food can lead to this IMHO.

* Anything that lowers the immune system. Teething might be one cause.

If it continues I'd be looking into these things. What do you feed the pup.

Our cockers all get tear-staining occasionally and our black girl has saggier bottom eyelids than the others and this obviously exposes more' red' but she is fine. They don't irritate her (and she's not one to stay quiet if something is irritating her!) and they wipe away easily.

Enjoy your gorgeous boy and post some more pics!

Oi gets tears in her eyes sometimes. Since she's a blue roan and her face is mostly black, i can't tell if there's stains.

Orson gets sleep (little brown bit of gunk) in his eyes which I clear off every day. It just falls off anyway.

If it's a concern for you, get another vet's opinion :scold:

Oi gets tears in her eyes sometimes. Since she's a blue roan and her face is mostly black, i can't tell if there's stains.

Orson gets sleep (little brown bit of gunk) in his eyes which I clear off every day. It just falls off anyway.

If it's a concern for you, get another vet's opinion :scold:

i bathed him today and shampood his whole head . it seemed to improve the look . i also gave him animal ocular eyedrops for a week . the vet said it probably wont make a differance though and it didnt . he has hair on his snout , that seems too point back about 5mm from his inner eyes where the tear stops, i was thinking of clipping this . but i wont worry about it . i think it can be improved just by a bit more care, maintenace . plus . everybody , including the vet said it will settle as he gets older and grows. i suppose i am over reacting a bit .

he has hair on his snout , that seems too point back about 5mm from his inner eyes where the tear stops, i was thinking of clipping this . but i wont worry about it . i think it can be improved just by a bit more care, maintenace . plus . everybody , including the vet said it will settle as he gets older and grows. i suppose i am over reacting a bit .

Pluck those hairs out by the root Frank, so they don't irritate his eyes.

I know a beautifully bred cocker who had a lot of tear stainingwhen he was little , there was no known cause and he eventually grew out of it :scold:

Frank,

Silverblue is correct, give the pup time :rofl:

Your pup will also be teething over the next month and his eyes will water and probably become loose but this will settle once his adult teeth come through.

Pups are just like children and their mouths hurt just the same when they are loosing their teeth.

Make sure he has something to chew on the help loosen the teeth. :scold:

Frank, sit down, have a stiff scotch and chill out. Your cocker is not a GSD- they have different eyes!!

i kinda disagree on that one . his eyes are not red up top, but on the bottom they are

That's normal, and they are probably more so as he is teething. The "sag" will probably take up as he grows.

. his tear stains always appear moist as well. also starting to notice that his lower eyelids sometimes SAG. WTF !!!!! he is only 12 weeks old not 13 yrs .

Again - normal. Sleeping a lot, teething and diet can all contribute to this. What is he eating?

i do love him dearly though and guess i'll just have to accept this ( normal or not ) nothing we can do about it . it 's not necessarily stains that worries me . it's the wetness, and perhaps saggy eyelids ( lower )

Be patient. He is only a baby. If he is white under his eyes, the stains will show up more. Buy some tear stain remover from the pet shop, and wipe t he tear stains every day.

a friend mentioned to me ( AFTER I BOUGHT ONE ) upon telling him of my purchase . OHH !! DID YOU KNOW COCKERSPANIALS HAVE EYE PROBLEMS ITS VERY COMMON . ( JEEZ, TELL ME NOW . ) !!!!!!

I think "very common" is a bit of an exaggeration!!

He could have entropian - BUT the vet has checked him, and he doesn't have that, so cross that out.

PRA - which is hereditary. Hope the parents were checked and you saw the certificates? But, even if you didn't, HE WILL BE SHOWING NO SIGNS OF THAT AS A PUPPY. It's not "very common" anyhow, although cockers (and some other breeds do get it).

Hereditary cararacts - Wont be showing any signs of these either at this age, and highly unlikely that he has it either.

So, Frank, stop gazing into his eyes, and enjoy the little guy :scold:

So, what's the worst that can happen? He'll have t o have glasses!! Here's a photo of a cocker with glasses - it's not so bad!!

post-438-1172645610_thumb.jpg

Frank, sit down, have a stiff scotch and chill out. Your cocker is not a GSD- they have different eyes!!
i kinda disagree on that one . his eyes are not red up top, but on the bottom they are

That's normal, and they are probably more so as he is teething. The "sag" will probably take up as he grows.

. his tear stains always appear moist as well. also starting to notice that his lower eyelids sometimes SAG. WTF !!!!! he is only 12 weeks old not 13 yrs .

Again - normal. Sleeping a lot, teething and diet can all contribute to this. What is he eating?

Be patient. He is only a baby. If he is white under his eyes, the stains will show up more. Buy some tear stain remover from the pet shop, and wipe t he tear stains every day.

I think "very common" is a bit of an exaggeration!!

He could have entropian - BUT the vet has checked him, and he doesn't have that, so cross that out.

PRA - which is hereditary. Hope the parents were checked and you saw the certificates? But, even if you didn't, HE WILL BE SHOWING NO SIGNS OF THAT AS A PUPPY. It's not "very common" anyhow, although cockers (and some other breeds do get it).

Hereditary cararacts - Wont be showing any signs of these either at this age, and highly unlikely that he has it either.

So, Frank, stop gazing into his eyes, and enjoy the little guy :p

So, what's the worst that can happen? He'll have t o have glasses!! Here's a photo of a cocker with glasses - it's not so bad!!

hahahahaha . laughing JED . thats very kind , and i am learning here . thankyou very much . he is great and everyone wants to pat and hold him . especially women :D