I'm So Frustrated! My 14 Week Old Cav Won't Eat!

happystarz

My 14 week old cav used to have a really good appetitite, but as of a few weeks ago, he hasnt been as keen on his food as usual. I have changed his food around recently, Advance to eaglepack, but he had been kinda rejecting his food even before we had moved on from advance. He will eat...but only if i put it in my hands and put the food infront of his face. Sometimes he might eat wen i put the kibbles on the ground, but he hardly ever touches the kibbles in his bowl anymore. It's so frustrating...it takes hours for me to get one meal into him and i'm worried that he's not getting enough nutrition during this growth period. He's now only really eating two meals a day and that's with me spending two hours trying to get him to eat!

:scold: and isn't he smart!!

getting mum to sit all that time with him, and fuss over him :D :p

Maybe put a little warm water on the food to release the smells, or a bit of chicken soup....put food down, WALK away. Go back 10 minutes later and collect bowl.LOTS of praise if he has eaten it all :rofl:

NO MORE food til night time..repeat the actions.

In a few days, he will hopefully see sense, and be eating well. (hopefully)

In the meantime..lots of interactive games and cuddles, but NOT in the form of hand-feeding . :D

:scold: and isn't he smart!!

getting mum to sit all that time with him, and fuss over him :p :D

Maybe put a little warm water on the food to release the smells, or a bit of chicken soup....put food down, WALK away. Go back 10 minutes later and collect bowl.LOTS of praise if he has eaten it all :rofl:

NO MORE food til night time..repeat the actions.

In a few days, he will hopefully see sense, and be eating well. (hopefully)

In the meantime..lots of interactive games and cuddles, but NOT in the form of hand-feeding . ;)

Great advice! Your puppy is in control at the moment and he knows it! Dogs are smart and if you do as persephone has suggested, he will soon get the idea. Persistence and consistency is the key! Good luck! :D

Decide what you want to feed and don't chop and change. Speaking from experience here LOL My Cav had me very well trained :rofl: and took about 6 months before i got the message. Leave the food down for 15-20 minutes and then take it away. I thought I was starving her after I did this for 2 days but she soon got the message. Make sure she has water. My vet told me she would be fine for 5 days without food so long as she was drinking.

Good luck :scold:

Its time to be a good owner & not pander to what the dog wants.

The dog wont starve but its training you & you have given in & trained it to the worst habit hand feeding.

The problem will not improve on the current method but will get worse.

His food comes out of the bowl ,no treats no nothing by hand,NO ONE feeds it scrapes or anything bad until the dog nows where his food comes from .

Leave the food down for 15 mins pick up & give latter & do so each day.

Pick a diet & stick with it,your pup may also be teething badly which can affect the eating so ensure the biscuits are soaked.

Do you feed dry only??It sounds like you need to give other permant alternatives like roo meat,mutton mince,tuna/sardines etc even try some pal puppy pink label.

The biggest problem is you at present if this was a child you wouldnt hand feed it for 2 hrs the dog is no different also make sure its exercisng,you could also get some nutrigel from the vet