Sparkle Sparkle Liadan

tianakaesha

Sparkle Sparkle Liadan was from my very first litter. She was named after a character in The Sevenwaters Trilogy. She was the brave one, the strong one, the silent one.

Liadan stole hearts wherever she went. She was a champagne hooded rat and, champagne being the hardest colour to see, was often difficult to judge - especially being judged indoors under lights. However, she was an almost perfect hood. Her marking had one small flaw, but it was not this that gave us trouble, it was the champagne colouring!

Nevertheless, Sparkle Sparkle Liadan brought home the first ever certificate with the name Champion on it. Granted, it was only a reserve champion - but it was a first, and one of the happiest days I have ever had showing.

The 'A' Litter was very special. It was a culmination of my favourite two rats, who have since gone to the bridge. They were amazing rats who were known by many people. The 'A' Litter was the best litter I have ever had the pleasure of breeding. Her brother Sparkle Sparkle Bran is still with us, though he is an old decrepid man now... biding his time.

My greatest regret was missing out on breeding Liadan. My heart breaks that little bit more when I think that I do not have one of her babies. I have her nephew, but it is not the same. Hopefully I shall have another litter of nieces and nephews soon, but it is still not quite there. Though if any turn out like her in any way I will be blessed.

Liadan started to get old about a month ago. Her body weight dropped and she slowed down lots. We spent a very special day lolling on the couch the other weekend, as I knew her time was coming. She bruxed, snuggled with me, snuggled with the cat (she was the only litter I had that was brought up with the cats as equals) and she licked my fingers. Finally my princess was a licky rat.

Tonight I went to check on my babies to find my precious little girl. It is not fair to have to find them... but it happens.

My heart is achine already for her. I want her back. I want my baby to snuggle me and lick my fingers and be with me forever. She was perfect. So perfect, and now she is gone.

We are going to hope that her brother managed to sire this current doe... and hope that the 'A' litter legacy will keep going. We still have others - but now I do not have her.

Rest baby rest, mamma's dreaming and crying for you.

Go and see the others - go and be with your mum, Shakespeare, your dad Conor, and the others you have lived with over the years.

I love you

This is her marking - so perfect and easy to see as a baby...

ratlet5.jpg

Edited by TianaKaeSha

:hug: Hugs Tiana, how sad for you.

Rats are like teeny weeny dogs IMO, and they have very distinct and vibrant personalities. At least you got the comfort of that last cuddle together. :hug:

Salli, we often advertise rats as "the dog for people who cannot have dogs"

They are very doglike.

You can train them too - clicker training even :hug: I am thinking of doing this with Norbert. :hug:

She was extremely special.. I miss her so much.