Agility Foundation

Susan Garrett's 'One Jump' DVD has some great video on foundation for teaching front and rear cross.

One of the best foundation training books I have read is 'From the Ground Up' (Kim Collins) -highly recommend this one- and I am now part way through the new Angelica Steinker one - all about foundation work using the clicker (can't remember exact title) and there are some good ideas in there too.

With my new boy I am finding the clicker great for working rear cross foundation in particular / I guess you could also use it to teach a front cross.

Is anyone else using a clicker to teach foundation skills and how valuable have you found it ?

This is a great thread - I love foundation training. :)

I believe we are just now beginning to see a small number of dogs progressing in the trial ring that were 'foundation trained' first rather than the old 'run 'em up and over' method of training and the results speak for themselves.

I think over the next 2 or 3 years the 'bar will be raised' with the standard of agility in Australia thanks to a greater awareness of foundation training.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This site here has some very interesting articles about Agility Being Good for Dogs, read part 1 & 2, and let me know what you think.\

http://www.silvia.trkman.net/ also scroll down to the videos, has great running contacts, also check out the tricks, even a border riding a skateboard.

I'm pretty sure she is coming to Australia this year, should be awesome!

I hear she may be delayed. :rofl:

Another foundation exercise for agility is teaching the dog to run through a channel of weave poles (absolutely no bending of the back- just driving through the channel). You can also teach the weave entries from all angles with the channel.

My camera is dead so I can't get any videos but there is a great article on it in the February issue of Clean Run.

Edited by t(AD)pole

Why don't you do some video of how you teach the front and rear cross. I'm sure that would be interesting for lots of people.. :rolleyes:

Video Three:

You have to be in front of your dog to Front Cross

OK, so this is not strictly true. You can front cross if you are not infront of your dog but it is rarely efficient. The first run I am not in front of her & my cross is done on the spot. It is ugly, but it works because she has been taught to come to the hand presented and to wrap around me, so I need to wait for her to get in the right position before moving forward (big time waster). The 2nd one I am ahead of her (not necessarily right in front of her) & I move (take steps covering ground) through my cross. Her line is much better & more efficient.

Video Four:

Giving a bad line

The first is an example of giving a bad line into the pinwheel. It works because I hold onto the line & go further into the pinwheel than I normally would, but you can see she is a little hesitant on the last jump b/c she is not quite sure where we are going next. If I had tried to send & let go, she probably would have pulled off. The 2nd is a much better angle over the first jump & allows me to move parallel towards the 3rd jump while maintaining her line. I am able to move better through my cross & her last jump has a much better line & she is a lot more confident about where we are heading.

Is it just me, but video 3 and 4 won't run for me - Youtube loads up and gives me this message

[b]"This is a private video. If you have been sent this video, please make sure you accept the sender's friend request." [/b]

Can someone please explain?????? :rofl:

........With my new boy I am finding the clicker great for working rear cross foundation in particular / I guess you could also use it to teach a front cross.

Is anyone else using a clicker to teach foundation skills and how valuable have you found it ?

I have not generally used a clicker for training agility - but I did decide to use it to teach weave pole entries and it has been fantastic. I found that the light seemed to go off almost immediately for my girl. Whatever I had been doing previously was obviously unclear and I thought she was never going to get it. The clicker just seemed to make it perfectly clear to her which behaviour was corect. I may try using it for the rear cross too.

I used clicker to teach Moses the weaves using the Susan Garret Method. Another thing I do is to teach my dogs to run around a pole, and when they get around the pole they get rewarded with the tug. I have found that the dog is learning that if it gets it right it gets rewarded. The dog learns to work for the tug. Once the dog is doing this well, I then start saying "sit" then I will tug, I then say "drop" as soon as the dog drops I play tug. I first started doing the sit then drop before tug but the dog wasn't really switching on, but did figure it out after the run around the pole game.

Vickie that wait and Go hand excersise that you taught me was really helpful! I don't know if it's already on here but that would be one for people to try (I'll let you explain it since you can explain it well! :rofl: )

On the agility being just a running thing that is so true!! I have been trainign for school X country and I run a few times a week with jock and snoopy, it's been a struggle cause Snoopy can't run as fast and jock refuses to run at the same pace as me but we're slowly getting there!! We shall soon be running at the same pace!!

Hi Vickie

A quick question. ( It might sound stupid so I apologise in advance)

Is it possible that a dog can learn somethng from watching another.

e.g On Sunday, as yyou were demonstrating a few things to us, you were also saying to Trim "lay down"

We have never taught Duke this or even said this to him and yesterday while were playing with him I said "Lay down" ( i was laughing as I didnt think he'd do it. I was waiting for the confused look that BC give but he lay down

Thinking this has to be a fluke, I asked him again and he did it.

If this is true, Duke will be watching you and Trim more often :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to videoing my dogs! :)

This is my first attempt as well as my first time on YouTube, so please let me know if I can do anything better.

I did one of Kaos doing contact training, Kaos doing open weaves, and Zoe weaving. Zoe can weave faster than in the video, but considering she is camera shy I thought it was good to get anything at all :D . For weaving, I usually do a restrained recall with two people but as my 'assistant' was filming, we had to improvise.

Tell me what you think :thumbsup:

Kaos contact training

Kaos open channel weaves

Zoe weaving

• 1 year later...
Guest Clover

I have only just discovered this thread, and thought i would bring it back up again. I have been working on little foundation exercises with Harri, but am after some more idea's.

How is everyone doing with their training?

I thought it'd be fun since we have so many enthusiatic people wanting to start agility to post some foundation exercises for discussion. I am sure people have a heap of different things they do, so explanations & video if possible would be cool.

Here is one I started today with Shine. It looks pretty basic...just running around with my dog...but that is what most of agility is & it is amazing how many people don't realise that they need to be able to keep their dogs focus & work just running. It is basically an attention/focus exercise teaching her to follow my hand & body language. I will start to introduce pre-cue hand signals & voice commands as we go along but for now it is just run with me & have fun. It will also teach her to turn tightly around uprights & we will be able to use it for distance/sending exercises. I am pretty pleased with her for a first attempt.

Shine Agility Foundation Link

Resized to 250K:

Resized

Trim had to have a go as well, I still do things like this with Trim, even though she has been trialling for 18 months now:

Trim Agility Foundation Link

Resized to 500K:

If the videos take too long to download, let me know & I will resize them. Will do something else tomorrow.

I tried to watch these vids but unfortunately I get a message:

"This is a private video. If you have been sent this video, please make sure you accept the sender's friend request."

Is there a way to view them that I am not aware of?

I too just tried to view the videos Vicki posted and i get this message:

"This is a private video. If you have been sent this video, please make sure you accept the sender's friend request. "

I have now added you as a friend - please accept :laugh: lol