Diabetes - Advice?

Teebs

hey guys, just a quick question.

I just got a new client, he is a 8 year old black lab, who has lost a lot of weight in the last few months. he is skin and bones.

Does anyone have any idea how to put some weight on this dog? He is VERY happy! but any more weight loss, and he is going to be in big trouble.

So, can anyone help me? he is getting a heap of meat and food every day, but can not get the weight on, he is now getting needles 2 times a day, to try to see if that helps.

Thanks guys :)

Edited by Terrorbull

Gosh, they all sound like they are having a rough trot! I have heard Hills W/D is really good for dogs with Diabetes that need to put weight on and also to have the dog neutered can assist in the blood sugar levels apparently (heresay!).

Well I'm out of ideas then - but best of luck! I hope he feels better soon and that everyone stops giving the owners grief although it is probably good to know that people are watching out for our furry friends :-)

Do they have him on something like Thrive D, enzyplex or Creon?

Maybe suggest they also feed him Vets All Natural Complete Mix, it helps the dog absorb the nutrients from their food better.

My dad's dog has started putting on weight after a huge change in diet, although she has EPI. Are they 100% sure it's diabetes?

Yeah, i asked them if they were 100% and they said yes.

I was just going to MSN you, but you are still on away!

i really dont know what they are on, i am going to print this out andleave it there for them to read. i knew you guys would have some ideas, as i have none!

What about Satinballs. I have heard that they are great for putting on weight fast until they can get a proper diet sorted out.

But not sure how this would react with his diabetes??? :)

Maybe someone else might know.

hey guys, just a quick question.

I just got a new client, he is a 8 year old black lab, who has lost 20kgs in the last few months. he is skin and bones.

If he's diabetic and on insulin and the vet can't figure it out, I'd suggest trying another vet. May be that the dosage is wrong? Or something is going on in the metabolism.

I regularly look after a 10 yr old diabetic labbie bitch who could stand to loose 20 kg. She gobbles anything and everything like a normal lab. Gets an insulin shot before each meal. I know they had a rough time with her when the diabetes treatment started -- she lost an eye.

I should have said, that they only found out he had it in the last 2 months, have upped his insulin as of last week, and are waiting to see what is happening, but they still need to get weight on him

"Hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) will NOT kill immediately, and short-term hyperglycemia is unlikely to have any adverse affects.

Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar - caused by TOO MUCH insulin, or too much exercise or not enough food, combined with insulin) CAN KILL, often rapidly."

I'm not trying to scare you, but it's very important to know, NOT to reach for the insulin when a diabetic animal starts acting strangely.

Please read up on the basics, so you can recognize the signs of a hypo, and keep something sugary in the cupboard - glucose syrup or honey or maple syrup etc.

Best of luck!

ETA

http://www.petdiabetes.org/hypoglycemia.htm

Edited by nume

Just trying to get as much info as i can fro them - how do you make Satinballs?

There's a few recipes in the general info post pinned at the top of the this forum.

Lamb flaps (lamb offcuts) are also recommended for general weight gain, but not sure that something that fatty would be suitable for a diabetic dog. :cry:

Diabetes is primarily a problem with the pancreas and there are several things that can be included and excluded to generally help the situation.

Several meals should be given throughout the day (at least 2-3 meals) so an even level of sugar can be provided rather than the body having to work extra hard to deal with the one meal.

Chromium is a highly useful suppliment as it is a glucose tolerance factor and is naturally found in brewers yeast.

Vitamin E reduces the need for insulin.

Consistent regular exercise to maintain a normal weight.

Avoidand of foods that contain sugar (unless hypoglycemia is occurring) and foods that are high in fat (causes the pancreas to over work).

Millet, rice, oats can be useful to provide the extra energy for fattening up.

Green beans contain a hormonal substance closely related to insulin.

Garlic reduces blood sugar.

Foods that are alkalizing help to counter overacidity (eg many vegetables are)

There are homeopathic treatments that may help the condition as well.

These people need to get either much better information from their current vet or change vets - this can be a serious condition, but it does not have to be if they consult the experts.

Please note none of the above information should be applied without consulting with a vet (that is experienced treating problem cases).

please be careful.... you cant just give him new food especially if he's on insulin .. it all has to be controlled by the vet ,, meaning insulin and food working together..too much food and he may have higher blood sugar readings, which will result in weight loss

if your not happy with your current vet , change him and find a vet that knows about diabetes in animals

goodluck

Daccydog :cry:

Edited by daccydog

:rainbowbridge: Thanks

They wont change vet :cry: so that is out of the question.

Just trying to get as much info as i can fro them - how do you make Satinballs?

I don't think diabetes can be effectively managed without veterinary monitoring. If they won't change vets, is there any chance of feeding information to the vet? I don't want to dramatise the situation, but I suspect this dog's life is in danger.