I Think It's A Flea Allergy

Ok, I wrote before about my labs allergys. We are on the elimination diet to see if it's food but now I'm starting to think it's fleas. She had a cortisone shot which is now worn off and she was just chewing at herself so I went and had a look and sure enough, I found a flea right away. She is on Advocate at the moment but I'm thinking of switching to the Sentinel Spectrum, simply because of it being a tablet and not losing so much when I put it on.

Also, should I spray the outside area and bomb the house? The house is slate floors except for carpet in the bedrooms.

She sleeps in an elevated flea bed which I will wash as well. It just seems like it's impossible to get rid of every flea. Why wouldn't the Advocate work? It's driving me crazy. Oh, I did give her a Capstar tablet as well.

When will they all die for the season?!

Jaime

Jaime you could try Permoxin. Make up a diluted mixture in a spray bottle and spray on your girl twice a day. My boy Rafael is extremely allergic to fleas as diagnosed thru intradermal skin testing and this is what the Dermatologist recommended for him. You can also spray the same mix on her bedding, your carpets and garden.

My boy picked up a couple of fleas from somewhere and the Permoxin combined with his Advantage got rid of everything in about 5 days. No further problems since either.

The Capstar tablet you gave your girl should kill the fleas on her quick smart but you will also need to treat the environment too.

Jaime you could try Permoxin. Make up a diluted mixture in a spray bottle and spray on your girl twice a day. My boy Rafael is extremely allergic to fleas as diagnosed thru intradermal skin testing and this is what the Dermatologist recommended for him. You can also spray the same mix on her bedding, your carpets and garden.

My boy picked up a couple of fleas from somewhere and the Permoxin combined with his Advantage got rid of everything in about 5 days. No further problems since either.

The Capstar tablet you gave your girl should kill the fleas on her quick smart but you will also need to treat the environment too.

Thanks so much. Is this something I can get at a pet store? Also, do you know if it's harmful to humans as my 3 yr old is constantly laying around with her.

Jaime this is what your after - Permoxin. Normal pet supply store should sell it, failing that you can buy online.

I would keep your child away from your girl while you are spraying it on. It won't take long to dry quickly on your girls coat. It does have a slight 'chemical' smell but I wasn't able to smell it on my hands when I patted my boy afterward.

Goodluck :)

Peigirl do you find you have a problem with fleas here? Asher is extremely allergic to fleas too and the only thing we could use on him were tablets like capstar where the flea had to bite the dog any way... so we knew he wasn't getting bitten... we use nothing now because we figured if he had to get bitten for it to work any way and he wasn't then we would save it for if he ever did, less chemicals the better with Asher... Well we NEVER EVER see fleas and you know we hang around dog parks etc for obedience etc. We just don't seem to have a problem here... I know over East some poor people have terrible problems. Of course health, diet etc. all play a role too...

If I am worried, like when we do go to tracking and are in the bush I use neem oil and lavender oil mixed in water... Put it in a spray bottle, shake and spray on. Be warned that the neem stinks, but it works. Good for ticks too.

Hi Dan, no I don't normally have a problem with fleas. Raf picked up about a dozen adult size fleas from somewhere - I can only presume from another dog we met on our walk? :D

Murdoch Derms recommended a twice daily spray of Permoxin as maintenance together with normal monthly flea control. Because he's so sensitive the constant chemcials were too much and only contributed to vomitting so the Permoxin stopped after a few weeks. Raf's a chucker. Anything that doesnt agree with him (say chewing on a stick :confused: ) will ensure a vomit first thing the following morning. When he got the fleas he I applied the Permoxin again for about a week - and all round the house and garden, plus Advantage, plus a bath with EctoSoothe. He was fine after that, no problems since.

Am I reading your post right, do you not use a flea treatment on Asher at all? I must admit Raf never a gets one with any regularity but because he allergic to fleas, moths, flys, ants etc I just feel obliged to give him one now and again. To be honest I don't even notice a difference when he is with or without? :eek:

There's a sulphur powder called 'Pestene' from the produce store which is cheap, goes a long way and it's worked well on bedding too, probably best to check with a vet first if he's sensitive.

I've been using it for years plus flea shampoo and never had a problem.

I am worried, like when we do go to tracking and are in the bush I use neem oil and lavender oil mixed in water... Put it in a spray bottle, shake and spray on. Be warned that the neem stinks, but it works. Good for ticks too.

Neem oil is the go,great stuff and if you have a problem a little bit of ivermectin in with the neem oil and shampoo.A few drops of the neem oil in the food doesnt hurt either.

Ok, I wrote before about my labs allergys. We are on the elimination diet to see if it's food but now I'm starting to think it's fleas. She had a cortisone shot which is now worn off and she was just chewing at herself so I went and had a look and sure enough, I found a flea right away. She is on Advocate at the moment but I'm thinking of switching to the Sentinel Spectrum, simply because of it being a tablet and not losing so much when I put it on.

Also, should I spray the outside area and bomb the house? The house is slate floors except for carpet in the bedrooms.

She sleeps in an elevated flea bed which I will wash as well. It just seems like it's impossible to get rid of every flea. Why wouldn't the Advocate work? It's driving me crazy. Oh, I did give her a Capstar tablet as well.

When will they all die for the season?!

Jaime

Sentinel only stops fleas from laying eggs - it does nothing to kill live fleas as I found out.

I'm currently using Revolution - after the vet gave my boy the once over - he swore my boy didnt have fleas. I gave him a bath less than a day after his first Revolution treatment and I was amazed to find dead and dying fleas in the bath!

Am I reading your post right, do you not use a flea treatment on Asher at all? I must admit Raf never a gets one with any regularity but because he allergic to fleas, moths, flys, ants etc I just feel obliged to give him one now and again. To be honest I don't even notice a difference when he is with or without? :eek:

Yep, that's right... I don't use anything... excepting the neem & lavender if I'm worried about where we'll be going (like Gnagarra pine plantation)... We never have an issue, and I would know because one of Asher's worst allergies is the flea one! Asher is the same with chemicals, excepting they tend to irritate his skin and it comes out in him as 1) pain (burning / irritating) and 2) behavioural problems because of the pain and also ADD type behaviour. So I go there as little as possible. They get heart worm every 6 weeks (clinical trials show it is effective up to 8 weeks, but monthly is easier for people to remember, 6 weekly gives some room for stuff up if you do forget then...)... that's it.

Does the Permoxin keep the flies and stuff away? I've not found any of them do that... but the neem keeps a lot of the nasties away. Owen's Homeopathics sell it (that's the store I go to that you asked about): http://www.h-e-c.com.au/ I'm sure other health food stores would too, or get it in for you.

I'm getting together the other info for you, I'm heading to my mum and dad's for dinner soon so I will send it all to you in the next day or so... :confused:

Dan

Edited by zayda_asher

I had this problem a few weeks ago with my shih tzu - the vet said that it can take up to 1 year for the flea cycle to stop - that is extreme situations though. As fleas can live in sandy soil, bedding etc, they get the chance to breed even though you can be treating your dog every month. Basically, she said all you can do is keep treating the dog and it's bedding, the house, the yard etc and as long as any fleas you find on them keep getting smaller (younger) it shows that they are the new generation of fleas and eventually the cycle will be stopped. Depressing I know but she said you have to be consistant in treating all areas and the dog. Hopefully it should only take a couple of months for all fleas to be gone.

In regards to existing itchy spots - everyone elses advice seems great! I was in malaseb, condition in Aloveen and treat itchy spots with Ilium Neocort (a cream only available at vet that is an antibiotic, anti inflammatory and anaesthetic all in one.) I also use Ban Itch (from pet shop) which tastes foul (really does!) that stops the itch as well and stops dog chewing.

Good Luck - it is a slow process and even if it is the fleas I think you should keep on the diet thing as I have found with Cibo that whilst he is definately allergic to fleas (resulted in hots spots etc) - he is also allergic to yeast and beef. It been all fun and games around here!!! aaww, he is so worth it though!!

Dan the Permoxin is very strong. I didn't see any insects or bugs around in the yard for a few weeks after I sprayed it, and I only did about 3 applications. I will add neem oil to my shopping list. The less chemicals round here the better. Poor Asher! He is amazingly sensitive :eek: Raf will only vomit (with what gets ingested) or sneeze - specially with car fumes or if I use any 'fumey' cleaning products around the house.

Thanks for the link to Owen's, I will check that out. No rush whenever you send that info thru. We are holding steady at this end - I can't even see his ribs poking out any more! :confused:

Tash

Dan the Permoxin is very strong. I didn't see any insects or bugs around in the yard for a few weeks after I sprayed it, and I only did about 3 applications.

Right. Extra strong stuff!! :D You could try planting lavender, peny royal, marigolds and other plants known to keep insects away around the house too.. That's something I've been meaning to investigate!

I will add neem oil to my shopping list. The less chemicals round here the better. Poor Asher! He is amazingly sensitive :) Raf will only vomit (with what gets ingested) or sneeze - specially with car fumes or if I use any 'fumey' cleaning products around the house.

Yes, less chemicals the better is how I feel too! Asher is funny... he does ok with the heartworm meds, but it does give him the runs and stuff... Anything with proplyene glycol will make him hit the roof, worst contact allergy, BURNS... they use it in SO MUCH stuff. They say its safe, but I've nonticed a few human products for sensitive skin advertise PG free so there are more people that have problems with it than they give credit for I'd say (again people need to report those adverse reactions!). Other chemicals (some preservatives too) seem to be a build up for him on the amount he gets and we get the ADD stuff (prolly depends on what is in his system and how yuck he feels from it is my guess)... So I prefer to keep as many as possible away. You should see Asher if you hold up a bottle or something that smells really chemically: he's a sticky beak so he wants to see what everything is... we keep him away from most things, but sometimes he'll get a wiff of something like say nail polish remover. Head flies up, eyes go wide, ears go back, tail goes out and he backs away like you really offended him, snorting as he goes!! Then he looks at you and goes "OMG! What are you doing with that??!!" :eek: Cleaning products do that too... he runs and hides if we are cleaning with stuff like that. Funny how they have the different reactions isn't it? Asher's not really a spewer... comes out the other end more!

Thanks for the link to Owen's, I will check that out. No rush whenever you send that info thru. We are holding steady at this end - I can't even see his ribs poking out any more! :confused:

Cool ;)

Dan

Edited by zayda_asher

Sentinel only stops fleas from laying eggs - it does nothing to kill live fleas as I found out.

That's why you give the Capstar before you bring the animal home, so you don't bring the fleas home with you... That's what we were meant to do...

But if the fleas are in the house you are going to have to go through a process of killing them all and breaking the cycle.

Ilium Neocort (a cream only available at vet that is an antibiotic, anti inflammatory and anaesthetic all in one.)

Its a steroidal cream so if people are tying to avoid steriods then you don't want to use this one :confused:

If you look at this thread you can see a lot of the things I use to treat my dogs' skin (and other people's too!).

we had a recent bout of fleas and allergies. i was about to go to the vets AGAIN when i felt their backs and the lumps had gone down. i rang her to cancel and she said they were probably hives from a food or pollen allergy. they weren't scratching like crazy this time, so we just let them sort themselves out.

Thanks for all the advice. I went to the petstore but they were out of Permoxin. I ended up getting another spray that is called "Pure and Natural" Its supposed to kill fleas and ticks and you can spray right on the dog. It's probably not as strong as Permoxin but I'll use this bottle up and then try to find the Permoxin.

It is so frustrating to get rid of them. We will bomb the house next weekend and hopefully kill the little buggers!!

Hi, I had a very similar problem with one of my labs. She was chewing all the hair off the backs of her hind legs and was scatching around her tail etc. I took her to the vet who said it could possibly be a flea allergy, we didn't have many fleas, but it didn't take many to get her scratching.

I was using frontline on my dogs, but being labs they love the water, so changed to Sentinel Spectrum (Which is a once a month tablet form) Really good for dogs who spend a lot of time in the creek. I also used capstar tablets to kill the fleas on the dogs straight away. I sprayed around their kennels, bedding etc with a insecticide to kill the fleas and kept them from that area for about 2 days.

I have been using Sentinel Spectrum for about 6 months now and I have no fleas, and the flea allergy has completely cleared up and her hair has fully grown back on her tail, back and backs of her legs.

I completely recommend Sentinel Spectrum. It may take awhile, it was at least 4 months before I could say it definitely worked. But it has been fantastic. It is really convenient because it also does the intestinal worms and heartworm protection as well.