So Is This When They Become Brats?

Snap

Has Ollie entered his BRAT stage?

I swear his always been sweet but lately he only has the face of a rascal. If I call him over he gives me this mischevious look and runs in the other direction :) His been a lot more bitey then normal, biting hands etc. whenever they go to pat him. He has been great with not doing this for so long it's really dissapointing to see it happening again. When his been caught chewing something naughty (eg. the brush) he gives me the filthiest look and then makes it his mission to do whatever it is his not supposed to. It's like if he knows the brush is off limits then he has to track it down :laugh:

Also, now if I give him a toy he takes it and runs into the next room and lays down to chew on it. He usually never does this and always wants to be in the same room as me.

Will all this pass? Is he trying to test his ground as the alpha dog?

I roughly follow the NILIF training method by making him sit and lay down before nearly eveything. Sometimes I slack off a bit like I don't make him sit before every cuddle. I usually make him sit before I give him a toy but not if I'm really annoyed with him and just want him to leave me alone.. I'll just chuck a toy over and he runs to get it. I am also a bit slack with making him sit for meals because he eats in his x-pen so I usually put the food in first and then him.

Thanks for any advice you can give me :o

Emily

I think you have answered your own question Doglover. :thumbsup:

Sounds like you need to be more consistant and also put in a bit more time with some basic training.

Not telling you anything you don't know already except to say, he does get your attention when he is naughty, doesn't he?? :rofl:

:D When you're not consistent, your dog gets confused and forgets all the good training. They're very good at sensing whether or not you're amused by their naughtiness. If you give extra attention you're training them to be naughty- the attention is a reward.

You'll be rewarded many times over by being consistent now and training your dog. They'll be a pleasure to live with, instead of a hassle :thumbsup: .

Edited by Poodle wrangler

:D haha Emily you slacker...

That'll teach you to let him get away with stuff because he's just so little and cute. :)

Yeah...stick FIRMLY to NILIF and do some more obedience training with him.

Speaking from experience, whenever you think they know what they are/are not meant to do...they prove you wrong :eek:

ETA: consistence is the key! :thumbsup:

Edited by TessaBella