How Did You Teach Heel?

You guys can do it with the taller dogs, you try to get a stafford right in that close and you trip over them cos they are only at knee height! lol

Actually maybe thats what Molly is doing, she's not getting under my feet she's just heeling UK style :)

Edited by shoemonster

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it does doesn't it. I am going to work harder on a consistent position and if she happens to be really close great if she is a bit wider but holds a reliable position then that is good to.

ETA. Was watching some crufts stuff this morning and OMG there fronts are to die for but again probably penalised under our standards.

LOL - you should watch my friend Sarah - her dogs work to the UK standard in Aust (well, before she moved to NZ :)). Murphy (aussie) would come in and literally bowl her over in the fronts because it was so close - it was a pretty picture though! LOL! I saw you watched the Vid - I wish I could heel like that!

The only downside is that they are all BC's - i'll see if I can find others ;)

A BMD:

All different breeds:

It's AKC - but a nice goldie working (man I love watching these guys when they have their heeling down pat!!) - notice the heelwork is not so - glued to your leg :)

The dogs get away with a lot more - this dog wouldn't even pass in UK I believe:

Edited by leopuppy04

hi guys remember in the states thay arent doing srops and stands or left about turns there heeling goes for like 30 secs easy much easier than here when the dog gets momentun then has to perform different things same in the uk getting consistent moving close head up heeling is easy its when you add all the stops and starts it gets harder

I have friends in the us that have trialled in australia and call our helign an endurance

how good would it be to just stack a dog for the stand for exam

I liek the uk heeling but i dont like the crowding myself i have enough trouble not tripping over my dog with out it walking on top of me rofl

LOL WMR - so are you saying that both the US and UK heeling patterns are shorter with fewer turns and stops?

Never knew that (well I knew the UK was shorter).

Not exactly easy to get that style of heeling, but something to strive to for me. IMO - there is nothing that looks quite as nice as a dog that loves heeling, holds position well and is prancing :p

ETA - ooh nice one Ness :)

Edited by leopuppy04

Hmm leopuppy I was rewatching Ness's heelwork video from the other day and she surprises me its not as bad as I think. She is prancing and holding good position (lets forget about the turns because they are a work in progress). But her straight line stuff is very nice.

UK heeling patterns aren't shorter - one of the videos shows there dogs heeling for at least 4 minutes. I don't think ours would be that long.

Edited by ness

LOL - ness - yeah I was thinking that of Leo's work too. I was watching the NSDTR vid that you posted and thought - well Leo isn't that far off the mark :p.

Thanks for clearing that up WMR - maybe it just seems shorter coz i'm watching and admiring as opposed to competing :)

Ooh, i love the close heeling and prancing.

Interesting topic to have just bought up as i have started some heel work with my boy over the last few days cause of the training days coming up. I thought i should put some work into him so we dont look too silly :p

Those videos are so motivating. I feel like going out and getting an obedience pup now :)

LOL Ness - that I can do - i've tried to put it on youtube but it wont do it for me :rofl:. You can see all of my training 'junk' and see the difference from our 'crap' start to November 06 :laugh:.

Hinting at anything are we :p.

Jesomil - lol - good to see that we are putting the motivation into you :) - I am the same - I wanna go home now and practice some heeling :D

[

Best thing i've done, albeit taking a while - i'm sure Leo would give Bob a run for his money. We did it purely by free shaping although you don't need too. It was fun to teach and our very first shaping exercise :p.

Thanks for the instructions on rear shaping. I'd heard about the phone book but no one seemed to know exactly what to do. :) Sometimes it's the blind leading the blind. We won't be able to make it to KCC park but I'll try to catch up with you at some point if I need a demo.

Ok, I figured out that my mobile records voice and I can use the handfree to listen to it while training (training my own feet lol)! :)

Now I just need to get a list of commands to read out so I can play it to myself

I migth just repeat the commands off a run through on youtube or something

I teach heel by rewarding as the dog learns the correct position. In time rewards are dropped. Mind you, by this time, the dogs know retrieving fun is in front, so they never learn to lag LOL.

Rarely do I use a lead.

I saw someone mentioned prancing. Now that is YANK. He does not require another verbal reminder, does not break, but does prance.

A US friend suggested for another interest I return to obedience competition, but ...........I am scared to return to my local club, as I did not take up their offer to become a trainer. Retrieving games......is my focus.