Herding Workshop - Melbourne

Hello All

For those of you who missed out on the last 2 workshops and really wanted to attend, we have set another workshop date.

Saturday 28th April 2007.

As previously, places will be limited to 10 on the day. Cost is $60 per dog and $40 for second dog.

If you are interested in attending, please click on the link to my website below, select "Training Services" and "Herding Clinics" for more information.

Edited by Kelpie-i

arr bugger.....in the other thread there is a obed training day being organsed on the same day :laugh: emm now i am going to have to toss up which one i want to go to.

is there any news about training lessons yet???

and is it possible to start lessons with out having to go to the workshop???

have my first starters trial in may, so i am really hoping i can get in some training with lots of places before then.

cheers sam

Hi Sam, I have spoken with Dave and you don't need to attend another workshop. General lessons are held on either Saturday and Sunday afternoons by appointment so probably a good idea to contact Dave to book a time.

To update everyone, there are 4 places left for the workshop on 28th April, so if you wish to book, I suggest you get in quick :D Thanks.

thanks Kelpie-i.....glad to here the workshops are booking up fast :D

let Dave know i will contact him after Easter to book in some lessons

can you PM me his contact number, i do have a number but not sure if its the best one to get him on

cheers sam

is there one of these every month??

Lana cant enter for a bit... but when she can I am SOOOO KEEN!!!!

We have been working ducks out here - but with me having no clue and no instructors about... well it is certainly a learning experience for both of us!...

Just a quick question, I am taking Tia herding this weekend down at Drouin, (Drouin is closer to get to and no e tags) with her two brothers. How do siblings compare with herding?? Will they be similar? I am taking my video camera, really interested to see how her brothers go. The owners are quite excited as they have seen Tia working, and their other borders from different lines were major wool classers.

Edited by CrashTestDummy

bridgie_cat, just wondering why you say that you "can't enter for a bit"??? Is your dog ill or injured?

Workshops will be held once or twice a month.

Just a quick question, I am taking Tia herding this weekend down at Drouin, (Drouin is closer to get to and no e tags) with her two brothers. How do siblings compare with herding?? Will they be similar? I am taking my video camera, really interested to see how her brothers go. The owners are quite excited as they have seen Tia working, and their other borders from different lines were major wool classers.

CTD, siblings can be very different from each other when working. They have individual personalities and mind-sets just like us, so no two siblings will ever work the same. Whilst one may have good distance, another will work close and/or want to head, another again will be timid and so on. I think you'll find it very interesting watching Tia and her brothers.

Edited by Kelpie-i

Well, I went to the Herding Workshop - the one that was set for today. Must say it was a very informative and fun (if dusty!) day. :rolleyes:

Thank you, David and Kelpie-i for having/inviting me. It was not only good to see you again but also great to watch you guys in action. Timing and ability to 'read' the dogs' drive behaviours was excellent and served as a reminder as to how important these factors are.

Watching the dogs' previously dormant drive be enticed into action and subsequent confidence in the dogs as they began to understand the work required of them (under David's expert tuition) in such a short time frame was fascinating. I expect there are many satisfied doggies now sleeping very soundly at their respective homes. :rofl:

I now know some herding words too :rofl:.

Thanks again - it was a great day and by people's faces, input and participation, one that was enjoyed by all - expecially the dogs. :rofl:

Edited by Erny

Thanks Erny, we're glad you came out and most importantly, enjoyed the day. Sorry about the dust..it may have added some flavour to your lunch...LOL!

I'll pass your thanks onto David as well!!

Now just remember your "backs" and "overs..

Just out of interest, do you have age limits or any other requirements for these herding workshops? I have an almost 6yr old BC/Kelpie/Heeler who is fit and active, but has never seen a sheep in her life! LOL! She was bred on a farm though, from working parents. Do you think my dog could do a workshop like this?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info CTD - it all helps! I am mostly nervous about my dog's behaviour as she seems to have hit that rebellious phase - she's been 100% on recalls and all of a sudden I can't get her to come to me! That bothers me if she's doing something she shouldn't! Will let you know how we go!

Hi guys,

I own a BC x Collie she is 9mths old and has really good natural herding insticts (she really knows how to get the pup out of my room!) I would absolutly love to teach her to herd, just need to know when where and how much kinda thing. Also she has Demadectic mites which isn't contageous but should wait till it goes away? If it ever does :thumbsup:

Sonovagun