Help New Puppy Won’t Eat Breeder’s Diet.

kitcat

Hi I have only recenly joined but I would like to add my sixpence worth to this discussion.The diet the breeder recommened was not at all suitable for a baby puppy. I feed my pups a mixture of softened Pedigree biscuits and Pedigree canned puppy food. By about 10 to 12 weeks I use the biscuits dry with the Puppy cans. Pedigree products have been well researched and thus are nutritionally sound. I only feed them twice a day as I work and this works well. I suggest to new owners that they introduce chew treats such as dry pigs ears. Also cooked vegetables added to there bowls. By 6 months they will also enjoy other tables scraps. But beware of over feeding. I breed Cavaliers who have a tedency to enjoy the good things in life like Pizza, Cheese, SpagBol etc. I also inform the new owners that a puppy will go off the food in the new enviroment and they will eat when they are hungary.

Cheers Jan

Edited by Bilbo Baggins

Eagle Pack researches up as a good food. Excellent that your pup is eating well now.

Be aware of the possibility of causing hip displaysia via diet and exercise and if the breeder has not mentioned this to you, do some research.

Do not know why some breeders stick to the weetbix diet.. There is nothing nutritional in it.

Humans thinking like humans and thinking that dogs eat like humans.

Good advice given.

Give your puppy time to settle in. The first few days are quite stressful and it may be stress of leaving all familiar behind that is causing her to lose her appetite.

She will come around. If you start off with a good healthy balanced diet. you will have years and years of joy.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Cath,

Pups don't need tinned food... it's mostly water (and quite expensive water considering it has very little nutritional value).

Do look into BARF but best to get your head around it first. Alternatively feed a super-premium food. My choice of food for golden pups is Eagle Pack Large and Giant breed puppy as this food can safely be used in combination with bones and other bits and pieces and it's protein level isn't too high. It can also be used for 12 months or so. Try to keep the level of protein at 24% or lower as you want to grow your pup slowly. If you choose another premium/super-premium brand with a more protein, then switch to the adult food at 5 months of age.

You can feed rice, but it's just a filler really. Vegies need to be basically mushed up as they cannot digest them otherwise. Some people stick them through a juicer (and add the juice back into the mix at the end).

Other things i feed my golden girls include: chicken necks and carcasses, lambs necks (cut in half), brisket bones, sardines in oil (home brand is fine), whole raw eggs (but only 1 a month for a puppy), cottage cheese, human grade mince, natural set yoghurt, and an omega blend for a great coat.

In the 'photo' section there is a golden retriever thread... we'd love to see some pics of Leah!

Sorry to be so dumb, but what is BARF? :)

Sorry to be so dumb, but what is BARF? :eek:

Biologically Appropriate Raw Food.

Dr Ian Billinghurst.

It's huge topic- best to use the search function. Many dogs do really well on it.

Anyone looking to get rid of food that's OK, just not suitable for your dog, try giving away to your local rescue place or even the local pound :) . Our local Pet Stock store has a big bin for this purpose. Not sure if this is everywhere, though.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Hi everyone,

My six month old pup is really fussy. I have been reading with much interest this topic. I am so confused!. I am feeding her Eukanuba, half cup twice per day. 1 chicken neck or small brisket bone per day, and small amount of table scraps. She isnt very interested and seems much more interested in what we are eating!. The chicken stock in the biscuits sounds good, sorry to seem dumb but do I dissolve a stock cube in water and then just use a bit? or do I have to boil bones etc.

I know she is teething because I saw one come out the other day and she chews everything especially whatever I am wearing at the time. She also licks all the time, what does this mean? all my lounge suite, my quilt cover, my cushions, everything is wet through!

anyway hope someone can advise me

Cathy

:rainbowbridge: