Soft Dogs And Distraction Training

Don't know why I keep ending up with soft dogs, lol. Anyhow had a bit of a tiff with my instructor today regarding distraction work during stays. My theory is that the dog needs to be very solid and you need to be able to get to the dog quickly if it breaks during stays, otherwise I think you are teaching the dog that it can break. Thoughts?

I have also found (3 sooky dogs now) that the more distraction type stuff I do with these sort of dogs the worse they get. They just seemed to get more worried and want mummy more and are then hopeless for the rest of the training session.

I avoided any distraction stuff with the last dog I trialled for this reason and she had rock solid, out of sight stays. Anyone found that their sooky dogs have got better with distraction work or worse like I have found?

All my dogs, including the worlds softest dog ever, LOVE distraction training. But they have been taught that distration training is FUN. Lots of rewards, lots of chances to be right. No corrections in this phase of learning.

Jules, I totally, totally agree on avoiding breaks wherever possible so you don't teach the dog they can do it. I use a long line for this work for this reason. Distraction with a long line is the way I think you should go with a soft dog. you know, in a weird way, the connection of the line between you and the dog seems to provide a safety for the dog in its mind quite often, too. But I'd still include distraction with a soft dog. Just make it fun and gentle and take longer than with a harder, more confident dog. But I can't agree strongly enough in avoiding failures. It sets a pattern for lots of future trouble! I always reckon in a class, go with your gut feeling and don't let an instructor make you do something you don't feel comfortable with for your dog. Least that's what I tell my students in my classes - they can tell me to go jump if they don't like it LOL.

Edited by Arya

proofing to me is about setting up to succeed so i start with easy things and slowly build to harder the idea being to build confidence not to have the dog break if it does then i see that as having pushd to far and take a step back to an easier option and work from there

It was a major jump in distraction levels IMO. Brock just sat up and looked really worried. I am not worried about him doing a runner as he is too much of a mummies boy and is just going to come to me. His main problem is me going too far away or other people yelling at their dogs near him.

I have the same problem WMR, practising stays is the worst - with others yelling if their dog attempts to break... poor Darcy sits their looking quite put out by the ruckus, so I have to verbally reassure her... thank dog we're getting past the breaking dog stage in class :thumbsup:

Glad others feel this way about people yelling at their dogs to stay in the stays! my girl hates it too. One night at KCC Park she freaked and ran out of the building into the dark, just because the dog next to her was told to stay put in a firm voice by the man. People need to think what is happening with the other dogs in stays around them too.

what annoys me is if i want to go back and reward my dog with a treat for staying its a big nono as it distracts the ohther dogs but its ok for everyone else to yank yell and even pul their dog up by the ears and that is ok and it doesnt matter if it affects my or other dogs its a two way street while epopel insist of yelling at dogs i will be very deliberate about rewarding mine with treats why should my dog be the only one that has to deal with things

we dont at our current club we pretty much do what we like there and noone says anything which is great but we do get a lot of yelling and corrections which i hate but the pro's of being able to trian the way i like out weigh that at least until i need to work on stays but then i wll just arrang a few trinaing get togethers with you lot :)

your at croydon arent you its a little far for me i have been meaning to look at berwick but hubbs works most saturdays so i dont know if its worth it

Yep at Croydon but would like to join Berwick as Saturdays work better for me, horse stuff is usually on Sundays! The clubs are the same distance but Berwick feels like much further away as I have to go over the Dandies to get there!

JulesP,

I think the meaning of distraction training varies.

Same as sensitive or soft descriptions.

I do think, from time to time, people do not proof their dogs (not meaning you but adding for conversation). One step at a time.

I do agree some people mummy their dogs and compound situations.

It irked me in the past, when dogs, normally at obedience stays in the ring, where in the past they have shown soft nerves, that the handler placed the dog, regardless of poor experiences, close to other dogs. I think a good idea, after a solid stay is achieved at home and at various other safe locations, to have the dog initially away from the "stay obedience pack.

Mind you, higher basic standards will be expected, if you and your dog are to proceed. Dogs read our body language and stress levels WELL.

Hi LL. :) Welcome back from your week of training ....... has a whole week gone by already? Time flies!!!

I agree wholeheartedly with what you say here. Know your dog and only build to match what your dog can cope with. IMO, I'd be working not only on my stays, but also to desensitise to the 'aversive' sounds of others.

Hi LL. :rainbowbridge: Welcome back from your week of training ....... has a whole week gone by already? Time flies!!!

Sorry to go off topic, but yes Erny.....home today, Canberra tomorrow. My poor husband home alone once again. Damm dogs ;)