What's Really In Dry Pet Food

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was so worth watching, so glad Im moving over to Nutro now.

if you go to www.menufoods.com. youwill find a list of all recalled food in states - nutro is amongst them!

That was so worth watching, so glad Im moving over to Nutro now.

if you go to www.menufoods.com. youwill find a list of all recalled food in states - nutro is amongst them!

But have we been affected here? Which Premium food would you recommend then?

Wish I knew!! I'm going through the forums now to see what most people are on. Actually on the nutro website is seems that the food is made in Australia, but having followed the link on you tube about just whats in pet food I am not impressed and looking to change. Sorry I can't help

There is plenty of information available about the individual products recalled in the US. Nutro does have some wet food recalled - none of which is available in Australia. As do many other companies who have premium dry food in Australia, and a wider range availabe in the US.

We continue to feed Nutro - currently Large Breed Senior.

Sags

Eagle Pack has not been affected at all - Nutro is not the best choice anyway... A lot of their formulations have corn in them whichis not easily digested by doggies...

Best thing you can do is pull up both websites and do an ingredient comparison - if I don't recognise an ingredientin a food, Gomez doesn't get it...

Edited by Gomez the Norfolk

Hi guys,

I don't think Nutro dry has been affected by the recall, a friend feeds Nutro and is very happy with it, I feed Nutrience (can't get nutro) and am very happy mum feeds Eagle pack and is also very happy

S

Gomez... if there is anything in Nutro Choice that you don't recognize, feel free to pm me and I'll find out for you, or else email the company. Some ingredients - both in petfood and human food, can sound very strange unless you know what it is.

As for a "lot of their formulations having corn" in Nutro - some products have corn gluten. Some Eagle Pack formulas contain corn, as do many, many premium petfoods - and often it is ground yellow corn.

hollythegoldenretriever - we all have opinions on food, as we do about all aspects of raising dogs. What is right for your dog is what is best.

Sags

:thumbsup:

Hi Sags,

It's not that "I" don't recognize them per se - some dog foods (cheapo) have ingredients that have no business being in pet food or any food at all...

The Eagle Pack Holistic I give Gomez doesn't have corn or any type of gluten in it - even before all the recalls, I wasn't happy with any of the glutens...

As for brands that have been recalled, call me radical, but I would no longer trust the company of said food, even if I wasn't feeding the particular recalled item... I would no longer trust them - If they can't keep a good ingredient control of even one of their products, they're not good enough for me, sorry...

Should EP recall one of their products for lack of quality control, it will be off my list also and back to the drawing board...

Gomez... if there is anything in Nutro Choice that you don't recognize, feel free to pm me and I'll find out for you, or else email the company. Some ingredients - both in petfood and human food, can sound very strange unless you know what it is.

As for a "lot of their formulations having corn" in Nutro - some products have corn gluten. Some Eagle Pack formulas contain corn, as do many, many premium petfoods - and often it is ground yellow corn.

hollythegoldenretriever - we all have opinions on food, as we do about all aspects of raising dogs. What is right for your dog is what is best.

Sags

After such a lot of research I'm going to try and feed ziwipeak if I can find anyone selling in Sydney!

What do you think of Royal Canin or Nutrience?

Royal Canin has corn and glutens in it as well... one of their ingredients is "natural chicken flavor" what is that? Also, it has had some recalls and for me that takes it off the table.

Some of the Nutrience also has corn and can be very grainy

After lots of umming and arrrghing, I've still not decided what the next dry food will be. It's about 50% of what my dogs get. I've upped the pet mince (pet shop)-veg-rice mix and chicken wings/ necks which I get from the supermarket to about 50% of diet.

I still can't fathom how some dry foods are $6-9/ kilo. It's not the cost of ingredients. Must be the profit, advertising and import $. I can buy human-grade meat for < $9/ kilo though I'd have to feed more of it.

I just got a sample of Nutrience Puppy Medium breed in the mail- first 3 ingredients are chicken meal, brewer's rice and ground corn. Made in USA says the stamp on the bag. Why do we import these foods when they could be made here?

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Not convinced about it...

Advance Ingredients:

Chicken; liver; beef; crushed bone; rice; egg; gelling agents; lamb; vegetable oil; di-calcium phosphate; vegetable fi bre; pork; caramel; taurine; vitamin E; zinc sulphate; vitamin C; marigold meal; manganese sulphate; thiamine; potassium iodide; tomato powder; lucerne meal; calcium pantothenate; pyridoxine.

Crushed bone - whose bones? Where are they getting them?

Gelling agents - what are they? why?

Caramel - sugar, it's not a lolly! again, why?

And just the first few ingredinets of one of the dry foods:

Rice; chicken and chicken by -products; vegetable protein concentrate; corn; chicken digest; vegetable fibre;

Chicken by-products - beaks, feet, eyes, etc etc... (eu)

Corn - again

Chicken digest - what is this?

Gomes the Norfolk...YUK, didn't realise it had all that in it!

What rubbish how can they even produce that, I knew what all the By-Product stood for and that was why I went for the Nutro as it seemed to be a nice all round clean product.

Im confused and it will probably take me a while to figure out which path I'm going to go down. I just can't wait to take her the Supercoat thats all.

Edited by hollythegoldenretriever

Yes it is yuk, isn't it?

Regardless, you are still the best judge of what to feed your doggie - any food that you come across, read the labels as if it were food for yourself and your family - then you can make your decision - compare and contrast - most of the brands have ingredients online -

I picked Eagle Pack Holistic for Gomez by default - we just arrived in Australia and find there is a limited supply of what I consider acceptable foods - There is a very good one, Innova EVO which is available here, but I think it has too much protein for Gomez - Ziwipeak looks good also, but for now I am happy with how he is doing onthe EPH, so that's what we will go with...

Holly is a cutie, by the way!