What's Really In Dry Pet Food

I guess the thing to remember with feeding dogs, is that all dogs are different. One dog might to really well on a generic brand food and do poorly on a super premium, where as another could be the opposite. What is important is to find a food that your dog enjoys and stays healthy on, and if you do decide to change, do so gradually.

All pet food companies have done some amount of research to know what is nutritionally required by dogs, and 99% of dog foods on the market should provide such nutrition to meet certain standards to be approved for sale.

With regards to the grains and things in foods, again, some dogs might have problems with wheat, glutens etc, but others may not. In the 'wild', dogs would catch and eat birds and other herbivores and would eat their offal which would contain the seeds and grasses and grains that their prey had consumed.

Think the best thing to do would be to speak to your vet, particularly if you dont think your dog is at its healthiest.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think vets are always the best source of information regarding pet food - most of them will recommend a food they sell at their practice - and a lot of the time that food is Science Diet...

The best thing to do is research yourself the ingredients that are in the food you have chosen for your dog - and make sure you know what each and every component is, ifyou don't know what "magic oil" is, ask the company, if it says "bone meal" ask the company what or whose bones they are using in their food... the internet is a fabulous resource for doing this kind of research...

As for the dogs in the wild consuming the grains they prey has already eaten, well, it's also already also digested.

Totally agree that different dogs do well on different foods, but that is no excuse for feeding your dog poor quality food -

You would not eat McDonalds every day, your dog should not either...

Edited by Gomez the Norfolk

Premium holistic brands that take accountability for their ingredients - Of the brands I have found here they include Ziwipeak, Eagle Pack, Nutro, Natural Balance and Innova

Look through their websites, read their ingredients and email them with questions of necessary -

quick look at Eagle Pack... it claims..

contains.."the same meat meal from the same suppliers who supply meat to your table"

note the word MEAL... :thumbsup:

??

Edited by O-Ren

ah ok, so meat meal is ok

meat by product.. not? unless specified as to WOT kind of meat???

supercoat has meat by product from chicken and beef.... so guts n all? but only that of beef and chicken????

Edited by O-Ren

I looked at a website that sells ZiwiPeak Daily-Dog Cuisine - 5kg bag (air dried) and i am sorry but no food is worth $112.00 fr a 5 kilo bag

you would have to feed less than a cheaper bag, so the bag will last you alot longer and its damn good dog food!

Proplan may not use by-products but when choosing a dog food you need to look at the ingredients in their entirety. Proplan for instance uses: Maize, Animal fat and Wheat.

Ziwipeak is expensive but then you are feeding a lot less than even the super premium foods such as Nutro, it is a highly concentrated food and wouldnt be on the market anywhere at $112 for 5kg if it was not considered a saleable product. Also you are looking as expensive ingredients, such as venison.

Edited by Hesapandabear

i am not doubting the quality of ziwipeak,

but according to their website,

the recommended daily food guide for a 40kg dog is 379grams.

basically a 5kg bag would not last a full fortnight, i worked out around 13 days :laugh:

although i do think i will have to check out prices for their treats,

and give them very sparingly for VERY good behaviour :rofl:

as a regular food it is way over my budget.... no matter how much i love my dog and want the best for her

it is simply financially impossible ;)

oonga, I'm with you. I can't see the value in some 'super premium' foods. I can't fathom why they're imported, either (e.g Royal Canin from France). That must drive up costs considerably.

Some DOLers gave me lots of great ideas in the 'Dog food on a budget' thread: http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?...c=95984&hl= for us who love their dogs, but can't/ don't want to pay those prices.

I looked at a website that sells ZiwiPeak Daily-Dog Cuisine - 5kg bag (air dried) and i am sorry but no food is worth $112.00 fr a 5 kilo bag

Hi, which website did you see ZiwiPeak Daily-Dog Cuisine - 5kg bag for $112.00? I only found RRP $117.95. I bought mine from a pet shop $27.95 for a 1kg bag and $117.95 for a 5kg bag. My dog worships this food. :dropjaw: 1kg would last him one week.

Poodle Wrangler,

thanks for your link :thumbsup:

i mostly feed those foods and i am fortunate to have a freezer to fit all the meat and bones in :D

our local poultry place does big crate type boxes of chicken frames, whole ones with the bum still there LOL

for $5 / box. or 6 for $2

i am talking to someone about going halves in a box :)

i am only feeding one dog so that would be a LOT of frames to get through even with the freezer LOL

although if i were to feed 1 a day it would be about a months worth, but i do like to give other RMB as well :(