Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Half Black, Half Pink Nose. Is This Normal? - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Half Black, Half Pink Nose. Is This Normal?

#1 User is offline   ~Aimee~ 

• RIP little Lucy. May your star shine bright up in puppy heaven x

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:44 PM

My puppy is 8 weeks old and still has patches of pink on her nose. My breeder said that was normal and that it would gradually turn all black in the next couple of weeks. Someone else I talked to said that this is not normal and that a puppy's nose should have turned black by 8 weeks old. They suggested I give my puppy kelp vitamins to assist in turning the nose black quicker. When I asked my vet about it tonight she said that our puppy's nose is ok and that it wouldn't get blacker. It would just stay the same as it is now and it wouldn't do the dog any harm. But the person I was talking to earlier said that if my puppy's nose stays pink, it could be prone to skin cancer :laugh:

As you can see I'm getting quite a bit of conflicting advice. Can anyone help? Did anyone else have a puppy with a patchy nose and did it eventually turn balck or remain the same? Has it affected your dog in any way?

#2 User is offline   havahug 

• owner, breeder, exhibitor and lover

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:50 PM

It can still colour up yet. I sold one of my Hav puppies as a pet because she hadn't coloured up as much as i liked but by the time she was 12 weeks and ready to go the colour was still coming thru. The kelp wouldn't do the puppy any harm. Dont give up yet.

#3 User is offline   Jed 

• Registered Breeder
  • State:QLD

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:46 AM

The noses can still darken up till about 12 - 14 weeks. I have a show pup here of 13 weeks, who still has pink on the nose, I am not worried, every week there is a little more black. I know this is standard with this breed.

What colour is the muzzle and cheeks? And what breed?

And have you discussed this with the breeder?

This post has been edited by Jed: 15 August 2008 - 07:48 AM

#4 User is offline   Gretel 

• Cavalier crazy.... or just crazy?
  • State:NSW

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:25 AM

Aimee looking at her pics quite a bit of the black will fill in. She may end up with a tiny bit still pink at the top.

#5 User is offline   Rysup 

• ~Ninja!~

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:45 AM

What breed? I have found some Amstaffs are very slow to colour over, but they do. My Kees are born black, its never been an issue!

#6 User is offline   Georgie-boy 

• I'm a chick!
  • State:WA

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:20 AM

Aimee's pup is a Cav. Aimee - Millie had pink pigmentation when she was a puppy too and it slowly filled in as she got older. She now has a completely black nose.

#7 User is offline   EISHUND 

• "Miss Swiss"

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:16 PM

With White Shepherds, if it aint black by 8 weeks, it's never going to turn black.

#8 User is offline   ~Aimee~ 

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for your replies.

Georgie-boy- Do you have any photos of Millie as a puppy so I can compare?

Jed- Ruby is in my sig. She is a cavalier and has a white muzzle and white/tan cheeks. I did discuss this with my breeder and she said the black should fill in within the next couple of weeks.

Does anyone have any thoughts on using kelp? Is it safe for puppies?

#9 User is offline   wylie 

• Breeder / Exhibitor

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:43 PM

Rather than Kelp try Colormax. It should be available at better pet stores. Most of the show vans stock it or can order it in. It is an Australian product and seems to work.

Kelp if given in the wrong doses can act on the thyroid gland.

#10 User is offline   ~Aimee~ 

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:48 PM

So colormax is safe for dogs? What else is it used for? Can it be only used by dogs?

#11 User is offline   wylie 

• Breeder / Exhibitor

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:06 PM

Colormax is a dog product tho i guess it can probably be used on cats too.

It has according to the bottle

L Tyrosine
L Cysteine Hydro chloride
Maltodextrin
Natural Beef Flavor

According to the bottle the first 2 ingredients are what gives pigment its colour.

Colour- Max

#12 User is offline   alanglen 

• Forum Regular

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:12 PM

Very much breed dependant, personally I would have thought she is likely to get left with quite a lot of pink. See how she goes, zinc works wonders to avoid the sun!

#13 User is offline   Georgie-boy 

• I'm a chick!
  • State:WA

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:40 PM

~Aimee~, on 19th Aug 2008 - 06:37 PM, said:

Thanks for your replies.

Georgie-boy- Do you have any photos of Millie as a puppy so I can compare?

I do...these were at about 9 weeks - they aren't the greatest and although it looks as though she has a full black nose - it is still quite pink around the outside. I wish I could find the one of her at 4 - 5 weeks as that was quite pink but I have no idea where it is - prob on my old computer!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Gretel 

• Cavalier crazy.... or just crazy?

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:19 PM

<Ruby is in my sig. She is a cavalier and has a white muzzle and white/tan cheeks. I did discuss this with my breeder and she said the black should fill in within the next couple of weeks.>

Aimee I would expect it to take longer than a couple of weeks.

#15 User is offline   Jed 

• Registered Breeder

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:21 PM

Hi, Aimee, I think it will fill in. But I wouldn't expect it to by 8 weeks. I breed cavs, and a lot of mine have a little pink on their noses when they leave home, but they all end up with black noses. After 12 - 14 weeks, you can begin to worry. I don't think feeding kelp etc. will work. the nose will colour before the kept has time to work, I think.

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions