Oscars Law

DobieMum

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oscar's Law are supporting a public protest meeting in Daylesford on Sunday.

This is a march against allowing the puppy factory in Ballan.

The organisers would like as many as possible to be there, to show that the community are strongly against it.

Council refused the licence for a 100-cage puppy farm.

It has now been overturned on appeal by VCAT and a 50-cage puppy factory is approved.

Meeting is in Daylesford at 10.30, Sunday 14th.

The only way to prevent this horrific puppy farm starting up is a strong public reaction to the VCAT decision.

The organisers would like as many as possible to be there, to show that the community are strongly against it.

It has now been overturned on appeal by VCAT and a 50-cage puppy factory is approved.

The only way to prevent this horrific puppy farm starting up is a strong public reaction to the VCAT decision.

GOODLUCK!!

I dont understand what you want.

The Ballan applicant is building everything per standards and to the Government regulations.

And they have 50 cages.

So what.

How do you know it is a horrific puppy farm?

this subject i am very passionate about as my family have watched these farms crop up in the beginning but we could do nothing about it then oscar law people came in and publicised it widely which has been a very good thing and the campaign over the years has spread which is good to see.

if you google prisoners for profit you will find more information about this case. this website is put up by the organisers of oscar law, these ballan people have been very cruel to dogs in the past, im sure it is the same ones that were found guilty of starving dogs and tying dogs to old cars in horrific conditions, im pretty sure of that, i've been following this page for years and also have talked to many about this very thing. i might have to google the name and see what it comes up with. the fact is RSPCA said no, the public said no, oscars law said no but VCAT said yes.

they might have to operate under code of ethics by having a licence but many have been found to still operate outside the law as no one has enough resources to be checking each and every farm in the state, it is left to the councils still and councils are barely able to cope with most only allotting one or maybe 2 animal officers and the only way these dogs can be saved is for the dogs to be in such appauling condition no food no water etc etc that the RSPCA can get in there with rescuers to raid or whatever. people are feeling powerless against these farms that keep cropping up everywhere.

also most of these farms great majority of them are cross bred little fluffies that sell well in the public with no family of dogs health checks and some may get genetic problems plus buyers are not given any expert grooming tips or how to care for these dogs plus farms don't backup their pups sold to keep them out of shelters being dumped the list goes on why we don't need these intensive puppy farms in society today.

the law is failing these dogs in a big way. I mean fair enough that some believe that we need them to come under the radar by getting them licenced so we can monitor them and the government saying this but they aint backing it all up by actually employing enough to be checking each and every farm :mad so a few still continue to churn out pups all within the law :confused: when we have enough farms churning out thousands of pups and have enough wanting homes in shelters across the country. so i guess oscar law have a point try to stop these farms and outlaw puppy farms full stop. the only true way we can do this is to get to the public and educate them to not buy these pups.

it is a good point as many have pointed out on this forum that if we stop them getting a licence then these farm operators will go underground anyway. so in essence you will not stop all this, the only way is for the public to have the power to boycott buying pups in this way (from puppy farms online, or on their premises or from a petshop).

i believe that when you look at society and the amount of dogs needing homes in rescue organisations and shelters and the are overflowing why have these intense breeding farms of our dogs when there are plenty waiting for homes and are being put down because there is not enough but still these farms are churning out thousands upon thousands of dogs (2000 for one farm so multiply that by 70-80 in Victoria alone).

Edited by toy dog

it just sounds like to me that someone maybe in VCAT has a vested interest in these operations i was thinking that the other day, because time after time other councils didn't want farms in their shires and refuse to give the operators a licence so when it gets to VCAT they always over turn it - the farmers always get their licence in the end. it says that the shire in Ballan did not want any puppy farms and the residents don't want any puppy farms but still they are all forced to have this puppy farm. :confused:

my own shire where i currently live says there are no puppy farms in the region as well. but looking at that and reading it i thought i bet ya there are still farms here that are ofcourse not licenced so technically under the radar keeping it quiet. :mad

it just sounds like to me that someone maybe in VCAT has a vested interest in these operations i was thinking that the other day, because time after time other councils didn't want farms in their shires and refuse to give the operators a licence so when it gets to VCAT they always over turn it - the farmers always get their licence in the end. it says that the shire in Ballan did not want any puppy farms and the residents don't want any puppy farms but still they are all forced to have this puppy farm. :confused:

my own shire where i currently live says there are no puppy farms in the region as well. but looking at that and reading it i thought i bet ya there are still farms here that are ofcourse not licenced so technically under the radar keeping it quiet. :mad

That just maybe because people have a right to free enjoyment of their own property - this is a right handed down to all of us from way back in the Magna Carter signing and assuming they dont break any animal cruelty laws they have a right to breed dogs on their property. Its only a licence for 50 dogs and they are dong all they are being told to do to comply with development applications and mandatory codes - its called innocent until you do something wrong - not stop everyone doing what they want to do in case they do something wrong. The people who are protesting arent even affected by what is happening and dont even live in that shire.Do you really think that anyone is going to over turn the decisions because of this. The only outcome can be to scare anyone else of being out in the open and applying for their approvals.

Also - the wording is emotive. This isnt approval for 50 cages its approval for 50 kennels which comply with the mandatory code which was set up by animal welfare to tell breeders how they had to keep their breeding animals in Victoria.

No breeder would have wanted to keep their dogs this way but once you own over 2 breeding dogs you are stuck with it. The minute any breeder wants to house their dogs differently the same people who are moaning about the "CAGES" come in and protest because they are not following the mandatory codes!

Many registered breeders and rescue have more than this number and if you are going to howl when ever anyone is complying and agreeing to follow what is in place supposedly for best practice why on earth would any one consider doing it by the book? May as well keep 25 in your bedrooms and save all of the expense of building kennels.

Edited by Steve

That just maybe because people have a right to free enjoyment of their own property - this is a right handed down to all of us from way back in the Magna Carter signing and assuming they dont break any animal cruelty laws they have a right to breed dogs on their property.

true but what right have they got to farm a domestic animal and foist the product of their farms onto the general public when we are killing the same product at alarming rates in shelters. they are farming something that has no benefit to society like a farmer of livestock is for us to survive (and it really gets my goat how many compare a livestock farmer to these nasty guys), whereas these guys are doing it for their own benefit and asking society to pick up the slack. the sheer volume that they produce does not allow them to monitor what they produce, i heard that most of the ones they get back they only rehome a very small number to keep it above board the rest are put down but its a very small number that they get back and rehome. its like the backyarders that i work with, they don't have any responsiblity for what they breed. the tax payer picks up the tab in the end.

also steve, why is puppy farmers breeding cross breed designer dogs for pure profit only put in the same boat as a registered breeder breeding for a purpose other than farming his or her dogs?

Also - the wording is emotive. This isnt approval for 50 cages its approval for 50 kennels which comply with the mandatory code which was set up by animal welfare to tell breeders how they had to keep their breeding animals in Victoria.

No breeder would have wanted to keep their dogs this way but once you own over 2 breeding dogs you are stuck with it. The minute any breeder wants to house their dogs differently the same people who are moaning about the "CAGES" come in and protest because they are not following the mandatory codes!

Many registered breeders and rescue have more than this number and if you are going to howl when ever anyone is complying and agreeing to follow what is in place supposedly for best practice why on earth would any one consider doing it by the book? May as well keep 25 in your bedrooms and save all of the expense of building kennels.

but there is a difference.

the animal people as you put it, are just normal people in the public concerned with intensive farming of dogs for pure profit only. Like us and i know of many many other registered breeders who feel the same as we do, passionate about saving animals therefore are totally against these designer dog puppy farms! for some reason not many feel like voicing their opinion to other reg breeders as many get ridiculed over it as we (many we's unfortunately) are often mixing puppy farmers up with reg purebred breeders who do the right thing. and i got told there are some that are reg breeders who also farm cross breed dogs so now its like they dont' know who to trust. if you are a breeder you are tarred with the same brush. i think it is because they think that if you breed dogs you only breed for one reason and that is to make money. this is talking to the head of these animal groups and other people who run these groups. but we all have the same idea and that is to abolish puppy farms.

and as i proved last time, ANKC members are allowed to have 10 fertile bitches and no mention of how many dogs but ofcourse you need a licence with your council before we fall into being classed as domestic animal business like the puppy farm operators. 10 fertile bitches is alot more than enough to establish a good workable bloodline of dogs in any breed i would have thought. :confused:

i saw on one of the councils reports about puppy farmers and breeders that they can't touch an ANKC member who has dogs under 10-12 dogs but they said they'd like to and treat them like a domestic animal business there are apparently many in the region who fall under code of ethics of ANKC rather than classed as domestic animal business.

Edited by toy dog

forgot to add, these people we are talking about has a history of abuse of animals. that is why the council didn't want them, the animal people didn't want them and also the residents dont' want them either but they are all going to be lumped with these people. jsut because they are building a fancy new house mainly it is a big house they are building for themselves doesn't mean they can't abuse their animals that they will have in their care.

i say to all reg breeders make sure what you sell is desexed because these farmers will go to any lengths to get dogs to breed with. they have tried to trick us into getting our dogs for years. but we only sell our dogs desexed and upon hearing that they threw an absolute fit. so these days these farmers are getting mighty desperate to make their money.

That just maybe because people have a right to free enjoyment of their own property - this is a right handed down to all of us from way back in the Magna Carter signing and assuming they dont break any animal cruelty laws they have a right to breed dogs on their property. Its only a licence for 50 dogs and they are dong all they are being told to do to comply with development applications and mandatory codes - its called innocent until you do something wrong - not stop everyone doing what they want to do in case they do something wrong. The people who are protesting arent even affected by what is happening and dont even live in that shire.Do you really think that anyone is going to over turn the decisions because of this. The only outcome can be to scare anyone else of being out in the open and applying for their approvals.

People actually don't have a right to do what they want on their own property. I'm talking about 20 years ago here, my family owned a boarding kennels (no breeding involved lol), we lived in an industrial estate, with railway shunting yards on one side of us and a trucking yard on the other side of us. Further back there was car wrecking yards and then cattle land for the meat works, there was another kennels down the road and a privately owned petrol station. The meat works shut down and the land was sold off to developers and housing estates were moved in. Slowly but surely we were all chased out (other than the shunting yards, that was government and to big an industry) by the residences. The council came to impose more and more restrictions on us, until it was cheaper for us to just leave. The final straw came for us when the council told us we had to rip up the old septic system and put a new one in and pull down our fences that surrounded the kennels and have a 6 foot brick fence built. We only had 30 kennels, we didn't have enough clientel to warrent spending this much money. Sometimes peer pressure from groups can win!!

So...master breeders are condoning puppy farms them? Or just randomly breeding as long as its within guidelines? Sure they may be housed well but they are still breeding crap, selling crap and farming crap...ifs all for profit, not for bettering the breed, staying within standed and healthtesting..crap. jmho

Edited by Missymoo

i believe that when you look at society and the amount of dogs needing homes in rescue organisations and shelters and the are overflowing why have these intense breeding farms of our dogs when there are plenty waiting for homes and are being put down because there is not enough but still these farms are churning out thousands upon thousands of dogs (2000 for one farm so multiply that by 70-80 in Victoria alone).

I believe if you look at population growth in the last decade

Vs

the number of dogs in shelters

you would see that your hysterical assertions

are false.

Edited by lilli

yes it's called democracy.

You know where the citizens of a country agree to abide by a set of systems and regulations, buy their own land and then act accordingly.

Who cares what you want.

You want something different for the land in Ballan? -

Next time a big piece of land goes up for sale, buy it for yourself.

And be happy when you make your bank repayments that you prevented a puppy farm from being established.

Edited by lilli