Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Anal Glands Randomly Expressing - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Anal Glands Randomly Expressing

#1 User is offline   minimax 

• ((she is fierce))
  • State:NSW

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

One of my pugs has anal gland issues, they are "deep set" apparently, which contributes to them not expressing properly when pooping. I've had her at the vet a few times to have them expressed, but since the last time about 2.5 weeks ago her anal glands have been randomly "leaking" when she's relaxed.

I know it's her anal glands because the smell is quite distinct - anyone who's ever smelt anal gland juice probably knows what I'm talking about :vomit:

I don't think it's normal to randomly express or leak, but at the same time as least they aren't full and causing her to be uncomfortable (just causing me to gag and leave the room often).

She's on a raw diet of chicken carcass at night, brekkie is a raw mix I make up of beef, some veggies and yoghurt with chicken necks.

Any ideas on what I can do to help her? Or at least to stop them randomly leaking and stinking out the house?

#2 Guest_Maeby Fünke_*

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

My Pug's anal glands have always done this (when he's relaxed)...

My vet checked them out for me and she said there's nothing wrong with him. He sometimes even rubs his bum on the floor and she still said there's nothing wrong. Maybe I should get a second opinion.

This post has been edited by Maeby Fünke: 29 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

#3 User is offline   minimax 

• ((she is fierce))
  • State:NSW

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

View PostMaeby Fünke, on 29 April 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

My vet checked them out for me and she said there's nothing wrong with him. He sometimes even rubs his bum on the floor and she still said there's nothing wrong. Maybe I should get a second opinion.

I've asked a bunch of other pug people and they've never heard of it (most of them have never even needed to get their anal glands expressed, let alone have them randomly express themselves!) so I don't know if it's normal. I'm hoping not, as the smell seriously makes me feel like I'm going to puke :eek:

#4 Guest_Maeby Fünke_*

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

View Postminimax, on 29 April 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

View PostMaeby Fünke, on 29 April 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

I've asked a bunch of other pug people and they've never heard of it (most of them have never even needed to get their anal glands expressed, let alone have them randomly express themselves!) so I don't know if it's normal. I'm hoping not, as the smell seriously makes me feel like I'm going to puke :eek:

I'm used to it now :laugh:

#5 User is offline   ~Anne~ 

• Meh
  • State:Overseas

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

Most dogs don't need them expressed. The more you express them, the more they need to be expressed.

The glands are there for a purpose and are best left alone. It is 100% normal for anal glands to leak fluid some times. It's when they don't that they become a problem and become impacted but for some bizarre reason dog owners have switched this around and they now routinely express them because they express easily by themselves :confused:

We tend to notice the anal glands of little dogs more because they're often on our laps or sitting beside us on furniture.

Do yourself and your dogs a favour and ,are sure they have nice healthy poos that will keep the glands expressed well enough and accept they will also spontaneously express through fear, excitement, marking and just because.

On another note, they're not actually glands. They're sac like.

This post has been edited by ~Anne~: 29 April 2013 - 10:11 PM

#6 Guest_Maeby Fünke_*

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

View Post~Anne~, on 29 April 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

It is 100% normal for anal glands to leak fluid some times. It's when they don't that they become a problem and become impacted

That's what my vet said, but I wasn't sure because so many people seem to have them expressed.

This post has been edited by Maeby Fünke: 29 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

#7 User is offline   ~Anne~ 

• Meh

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

It's another reason why my pugs were retrained not to go on furniture. I have a very regular spontaneous expressor! :laugh:

#8 Guest_Maeby Fünke_*

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

View Post~Anne~, on 29 April 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

It's another reason why my pugs were retrained not to go on furniture. I have a very regular spontaneous expressor! :laugh:

Oh, yuck! :laugh:

This post has been edited by Maeby Fünke: 29 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

#9 User is offline   ~Anne~ 

• Meh

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

What makes it worse is that I know when it has happened even though he will be on his mat at my feet or in his bed because he suddenly turns around and starts intently licking the mat or bed. :vomit:

#10 Guest_Maeby Fünke_*

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

Sorry, double post... That was weird.

This post has been edited by Maeby Fünke: 29 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

#11 User is offline   ~Anne~ 

• Meh

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

But still i loved Monte and he had disgusting eating habits.......... :vomit:

Boofy is pretty easy in comparison!

#12 Guest_Maeby Fünke_*

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:38 PM

Sorry, my computer keeps disconnecting!

Oscar is obsessed... The minute he leaks he has to sniff my lap/the couch/his bed for about 30 minutes. But I love everything about him, even his stinky bum juice.

#13 User is offline   ♦ Marg ♦ 

• Forum Regular
  • State:SA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:17 PM

I had to get Lacey's done because it turned into an abscess :o it was a right old mess but she took it like a trooper and they have been good ever since :)

#14 User is offline   Mrs Rusty Bucket 

• spinner
  • State:SA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:23 PM

My mum's old dog - had to go to the vet every month to get the anal sacs emptied.

At that point Mum asked - what else could she do?

And vet said they can be removed.

Which worked. I don't know what the long term effect is on a dog, but this particular dog was fairly old then anyway and lived quite a few more years after with no further problems at that end.

#15 User is offline   tlc 

• Me and the Gang
  • State:VIC

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:53 PM

Psylliam husk added to food helps bulk up the stool to express them. From the diet I'd say too much bone with carcass at night and necks in the morning.

Pumpkin is good to bulk up stools as well, the bulkier the stool the better to express. To be leaking they must be reasonably full and not expressing as they should be.

One of my girls had a problem and on vets advice as above problem solved. (Although the vet advised Metamucil, but I went to health food shop and got the psyllium husks on their own, it did the trick.)

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions