Puppy Jumping When You Have Something In Your Hands

kwirky

Our 15 week golden Murphy thinks EVERYTHING is a game, which we are working on redirecting as necessary.

One thing I have had no luck with is him wanting whatever is in our hands and jumping up. When he jumps up at other times like for attention we turn our back until there is '4 on the floor', then lots of praise. But this does not work when we are holding something.

Any advice?

Give him something else to do instead. If there is something in your hands tell him to sit BEFORE he tries to jump.

When ever you are going to give him anything make him sit first too. No rewards, no pats, no eye contact unless he sits first.

Set him up...have a treat in one closed hand & present it to him, holding your hand closed & letting him paw at it & what ever...as soon as he backs off, click & give him a treat from the other hand. Do this a few times till he knows the game, then wait till he sits before you click...clicking as soon as his bum touches the floor. Don't worry if he jumps up after you click, but try to deliver the treat quickly while he is still sitting.

• 3 months later...

Set him up...have a treat in one closed hand & present it to him, holding your hand closed & letting him paw at it & what ever...as soon as he backs off, click & give him a treat from the other hand. Do this a few times till he knows the game, then wait till he sits before you click...clicking as soon as his bum touches the floor. Don't worry if he jumps up after you click, but try to deliver the treat quickly while he is still sitting.

is clicking with your fingers the same as using one of the training clickers ? from my understanding you click once he does what you're asking such as sit , wait etc .. my question is what happens when you stop using the clicker ? will he still do it or will he wait to hear a clicker since he's associated the noise with the action ?

is clicking with your fingers the same as using one of the training clickers ? from my understanding you click once he does what you're asking such as sit , wait etc .. my question is what happens when you stop using the clicker ? will he still do it or will he wait to hear a clicker since he's associated the noise with the action ?

Clicking with your fingers would be no where near as instant as using a proper clicker. You use the clicker to shape the behaviour, then once the behaviour is happening fluently, you introduce a cue word and/or body signal & phase the clicker out. You would only use it again for that behaviour if you wanted to fine tune it. Have a look here at this link Introduction to Clicker Training It's a fun way to train your dog...fun for you & heaps of fun for the dog :)

good lord i love clicker/market training - reading Karen Pryor's book was the beginning of a love affair (one sided of course laugh.gif ) Karen on her website, clickertraining.com also offers web streamed videos about learning to use CT. I bought access to two about 3 years ago and i still have access to them until 2016.