Camping / Travelling In Nz With Dogs

sandgrubber

I'm thinking of making a big move to NZ . . . that's coming from the US, so it means all the vet checks and quarantine and a heap of big bills.

I think I'd like to buy a camper van and travel around a little before buying a property and settling down. North Island, probably north of Auckland.

Is it realistic to think I will be able to find camping spots where I can stay with three dogs? Labradors. Very much accustomed to being on leash, but it would be great if they get a chance to run and play from time to time.

I've been looking at this myself recently. I'd really like to do something similar. I can say for sure that you can take the dogs on the interislander ferry - you've got 2 choices - book a kennel for them or leave them in the car for the duration of the trip. I'm not sure of the logistics of taking the camper on the ferry.

Obviously, there are also off leash places where you can take your dog so if you can't find caravan parks or camping spots where they're welcome to roam a short walk to drive to a local off leash park wouldn't be out of the question.

Also don't forget that you can look for air bnb places which would let you have them.

If you google 'dog friendly accommodation NZ' you get a few results - I have no idea how good the info is but it's a start.

I'll be watching the thread - keep us (me) updated on what you find!

I have a friend that lives on the South Island and she goes hiking and biking every weekend with her dog. She went for a big camping trip a few months back and dog went with her too. It seems quite dog friendly smile.gif

I'm thinking of making a big move to NZ . . . that's coming from the US, so it means all the vet checks and quarantine and a heap of big bills.

I think I'd like to buy a camper van and travel around a little before buying a property and settling down. North Island, probably north of Auckland.

Is it realistic to think I will be able to find camping spots where I can stay with three dogs? Labradors. Very much accustomed to being on leash, but it would be great if they get a chance to run and play from time to time.

There are loads of places you can camp and travel with your dog in NZ. We go camping in the summer with ours a bit and never have trouble finding places to stay where the dogs can go off lead. Lots of dog friendly accommodation too - I recommend if you're thinking about it you join something like one of the NZ Dog agility groups on facebook as there are people all across the country on there that travel a lot with their dogs and have them off lead (most serious agility people have traveled to both ends of NZ multiple times!).

If/when you go on the ferry don't put the dogs in the kennels, make sure your camper is set up for them to stay in there. You can't access the camper while the ferry is moving so they need crates or something in the car. Getting a camper on the ferry is no hassle, and if you join the NZ Campervan club you get cheap ferry fees.

Only thing to watch for when looking for camping sites is that a lot of Department of Conservation (DOC) campsites are not dog friendly as they are located within National Parks where dogs are not welcome. Unfortunately all that gorgeous native bush is kiwi habitat so not somewhere you can walk your dogs.

I'm the South Island, but have traveled pretty extensively over both islands :)

Oh do I have a tip for you!!

Get "WikiCamps New Zealand" on your phone. You can set a filter for dog friendly campsites. It shows you all the campsites and caravan parks that accept dogs, and there are loads!!

iphonedetails.png

I'm heading off on an Aussie trip in 2 weeks and this has been the most useful purchase I've made. It's about $7.99.