Balance Between Preventing Separation Anxiety And A “Not Excited To Se

mowgliandme

Balance between preventing separation anxiety and a “not excited to see you” puppy?

I’ve had my puppy for two weeks now and she is doing tremendously well – shes pretty much toilet trained (2-3 accidents were due to my negligence in taking her out when she asked), doesn’t have separation anxiety and is quite happy playing on her own.

We have been following these tips for preventing separation anxiety and raising a well mannered pup: leaving her alone for short periods of time with great chew things and toys, only coming back in the room when she is quiet, we are using a puppy play pen when we cant supervise her, not giving her any attention when she jumps up, having neutral greetings and departures etc from the following two sites:

https://www.animalhumanesociety.org/training/ill-be-back-really-preventing-separation-anxiety

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/4_7/features/Separation-Anxiety-Behaviors_5374-1.html

But to me and my partner, one of the best parts of having a dog is the super happy greeting when you come home – will this get rid of that entirely? What can I do so that she is still happy on her own but still runs to the door to see us when we come back? (not jumping and making noise but some tail wagging would be so loved by us)

Are they mutually exclusive? (if they are we want her to be happy more than our selfish greeting desires!)

Edited by mowgliandme

No, they are certainly NOT mutually exclusive.

The training that you are doing will mean that your dog, although happy and excited to see you, will wait until you are ready before giving that excited greeting. Trust me, if you are entering the house with an armful of groceries or a package of fragile items you do not want an over the top jumping madly welcoming dog until you have had a chance to put your packages down safely!smile.gif

+

Yes to RuralPug! Mine wag themselves stupid when I come in but I have surprised them on occasion and they've all been fast asleep. The excited to see you stuff is about relationship building not mutually exclusive to happy about being left alone (anxiety vs excitement if that makes sense).

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Add me to the chorus of not mutually exclusive! My dog doesn't have separation anxiety (thank the heavens). Sometimes we find him asleep in his kennel, but he usually welcomes us home by coming up to us with a happy face, a wagging tail and a loose, wriggley body. He doesn't jump up on us either, but he does run up a couple of stairs to get to a better patting position (he's tiny), which we have reinforced by obliging him after we put our things down. :laugh:

I'm sure your friendly, non-anxious greeting will come in time. Well done on your awesome start to puppy raising, too. :)

A happy dog is one that is chilled when you get home,you know its happy in its world .

My dogs are allowed to jump on me BUT only when i allow it because i want to be prepared when they do ,big dogs & sometimes the outfit i have on isnt for dog feet so i always encourage a time & place .

For me i want a happy dog all day just not when i return home but we dont encourage crazy greetings & we live on an acre property with no neighbours close by ,when we lived in the burbs we where very aware of close neighbours & good neighbour dog manners