Anything To Help Grow A Dogs Coat?

dogone

My 18 month boy has a a great big coat drop but is taking his time growing it back. I was just wondering if there was something I could feed him that would help to grow it a bit quicker??

Thanks in advnce :)

Hi Dogone,

Welcome to DOL.

I'm not a coat expert, but I've recently had a foster westie who was badly malnourished and had a shocking coat. I spoke with the owners of this site hereand solved the problem - Evening Primrose Oil Food Supplement and Shampoo in my case.

Lynda and Archie are very knowledgeable about this sort of stuff - and my foster, who now has the family of his dreams is looking sooooo much better its hard to believe its the same dog.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Westiemum :)

Actually rather than EPO food supplement and shampoo you would be better off with Royal Jelly.

It will require effort from you over the first 6 weeks of washing twice a week but it does work well. Having Border Collies i use it all the time to keep coats in good nick and after a coat blow. Even my pap has had good results with it. She is currrently naked and not being shown but will be started on it as of today to get her coat back in order. Last time she looked stunning within about 4 weeks and just looked better and better till she had her season.

Actually rather than EPO food supplement and shampoo you would be better off with Royal Jelly.

It will require effort from you over the first 6 weeks of washing twice a week but it does work well. Having Border Collies i use it all the time to keep coats in good nick and after a coat blow. Even my pap has had good results with it. She is currrently naked and not being shown but will be started on it as of today to get her coat back in order. Last time she looked stunning within about 4 weeks and just looked better and better till she had her season.

Hi Wylie,

where is the best place to get the Royal Jelly from? I have a girl that is blowing coat now and taking her time about it, I want to get her coat back in order ASAP as I have some big shows coming up ! What is the approx cost and how much do you give them :provoke: thanks in advance... :hitself:

KR

Do these products soften the coat?

I think it may depend on the breed/dog. My Elkhounds are supposed to have a soft, dense, woolly undercoat and coarse, straight outer coat. I have been giving the supplement to Kari since before she came into season and her pup is 3 weeks old tomorrow. Her outer coat has not softened at all.

Do these products soften the coat?

I think it may depend on the breed/dog. My Elkhounds are supposed to have a soft, dense, woolly undercoat and coarse, straight outer coat. I have been giving the supplement to Kari since before she came into season and her pup is 3 weeks old tomorrow. Her outer coat has not softened at all.

Thats good to hear, my breed should also have a hard outer coat, so dont need it to be softened at all. I could see the shampoo would probably have that affect but the supplement should be fine...

Just got some today - will let you know the results (since Kinta denies me the pleasure of ever growing a nice full coat except just before she is going to drop it all :laugh: )

Groomers Products were wonderful to deal with!! And so close - could pick it up in person!!! :rofl:

Guest Tess32

They do not soften the coat, I use it on my roughs and they still have a rough coat as required afterwards :laugh:

Guest Tess32

I would give them a call. They are really great to speak to and will answer all your questions and more! :laugh:

dogone

I think you will have the best results by using both.

The food supplement feeds the skin and coat from the outside and the shampoo feeds the coat from the outside.

It is a system that works well if done properly.

I have had mums to be on it and whilst feeding puppies and then a drip or two in pups meals when they have been weaned and have had the most stunning coats ever with it.

Just another question.

Do you use the supplement as well as the shampoo?.

I have been on the groomer website and see that you can get the both. So now I don't know which way to go!!

I spoke to the guy yesterday - he said you can use both - dependant on what you want. I am trying the shampoo first, but will probably put my dogs on the supplement if they are in whelp/ have puppies. He said that it really does improve the dam's coat as well as her puppies, also meaning she will drop less in the long run.

Try one way first and then see :confused:.

If this is the one i'm thinking of though - isn't royal jelly from bees or something?! So if your dog has a reaction to bee's I've heard that you need to introduce it carefully as they may also have a reaction to this?!?! :eek:

Talk to the people at groomers products - MOST helpful :hug:!