Fly Has A Lump On Her Neck....its Attached.

My very naughty and vivacious 7.5 year old girl has, as I just discovered this morning, a small lump on her neck, next to the trachea. The lump is attached and not free floating. I took her to the vet this afternoon. She told me to watch to see if it gets bigger over the week and prescribed antibiotics.

I know lumps are common, but has anyone had experienced with these type that are attached?? She said it may have to be removed.

I like to play it safe with lumps. Unless it is clearly a fatty lump and if it doesn’t go away in the next 10 days I would have it removed. Some will say have it biopsied but my preference is removal

If it was me, I'd wait the week and then, if there was no change, I'd be asking for a fine needle biopsy, or an outright removal under GA and a full pathology work-up. Lumps that don't move are not usually normal fatty deposits, injection scars or swollen lymph nodes (which are indicative of infection).

lump is slightly bigger today and im sure its less squishy....not sure what that means...

It could just mean you're poking and prodding it too much and it's swollen! I know it's difficult, but try to leave it alone for a day or two (but keep a close eye on it). If there is no change within the week, take the dog back to the vet and ask for biopsy or removal and pathology.

It's easy to obsess over lumps, I know, I've done it too many times.

I always get my vet to check them. I've had a few removed from various dogs and none have been anything to worry about. Other lumps I've been advised to just leave as they are fine.

I have a friend whose dog had mast cell tumour, and ended up dying, same breed as mine (Vizsla), so I do obsess over them.

Don't poke at the lump though coz if it IS something you don't want, you could disturb the cells in it and maybe distribute them in ways you don't want, IMO.

Of course that said I can't stop poking at our latest lump, that I've been assured is just a wart.

I would be asking for a needle biopsy so they can make sure it is nothing.

If in doubt - remove it.

Ollie's fatty lipomas tend to move a bit and be squishy but the mast cell tumours do not - they more often than not feel as if they are attached and they are a lot harder.

I hope all goes well for Fly.

Good luck

Jodie

But i like to squish :dropjaw:

Don't we all. :mad We had 4 lumps removed from our kelpie a while back, 3 were fatty lumps, and one was a cyst. With the fatty lumps, lipomas, they do can recur in dogs who have a tendency to get them. I'd go with the biopsy if your vet suggests it. Tess's were on her chest and the vet didn't want to leave them, so no biopsy, just straight removal.

My very naughty and vivacious 7.5 year old girl has, as I just discovered this morning, a small lump on her neck, next to the trachea. The lump is attached and not free floating. I took her to the vet this afternoon. She told me to watch to see if it gets bigger over the week and prescribed antibiotics.

I know lumps are common, but has anyone had experienced with these type that are attached?? She said it may have to be removed.

Attached lumps can be all manner of identities, usually one of the following;

1. Cysts

2. Granulomas(fibrous tissue growing in reaction to something including infections which can abscessate)

3. growths... a heap of possibilities, but lipomas are the most common.... they can be standard lipomas (which are normally reaosnably mobile) or infiltrative (appear somewhat attached) Other growths such as MCTs and a host of others can also present like this.

There are also in that location, lymph nodes which can be enlarged due to infection and other conditions.

As the other forum members suggest... if not resolving convincingly.... then your Vet will investigate with either..

a) Fine needle biopsy

b) Surgical biospy or for lumps which are well delineated,

c) excisional biopsy... which is removing it in total and testing the whole thing

It seems to be harder to me now. She has been on the antibiotics since thursday. No reactions and she is fine in herself. She is drinking and peeing a lot though. Im sure the vet will suggest a needle thingo next. Thanks for all the advice guys.:thumbsup:

Ok so back to the vet this afternoon and she said it has to come out :) Im crying for my finances :thumbsup:

No seriously, I think she is worried about it due to its location and feeling. she is also somewhat concerned about her kidney function as she is drinking a lot and peeing a lot and becoming very incontinent. Poor baby fly. So Ruger and her both got vaccinated and now I cant eat for another four weeks :D ;)