Trick Of The Week 30/05 - 05/06

Clicking Mad

JUMP THROUGH ARMS HELD IN HOOP

Uses

Good party trick.

Equipment Needed

Dog that is 12 mths or over and is in a good physical condition to jump and able to fit through your arms, treats, clicker, some space to move.

METHOD

Step 1.

Off lead. Go down in a crouch with arms held in a circle on the ground. Encourage dog to the other side of your arms.

Step 2.

Click/reward 5 to 10 times for walking through arms at ground level in the same direction.

Step 3.

Raise arms in circle an inch off the ground. Encourage dog to go through arms at this new height. Click/reward another 5 to 10 times at this new height in the same direction.

Step 4.

Repeat step 4 at slowly incremented heights off the ground. Taking it slowly and going back to lower heights if your dog is having trouble. Stay at each height for at least 5 click/rewards. Ensure dog has enough room to wind up to the jump and enough room after jump on the other side.

Step 5.

When dog is reliably jumping through arms when you hold them in a circle beside you at your desired height (taking into consideration your dogs' capabilities), add cue. Add cue at the time your dog is jumping and then click as it is out the other side, then reward. Say this at least 5 or 10 times. Then ask for "cue" before the behaviour. I use "atam" (up and atam) as it doesn't sound like and can't get confused with anything else I use - be creative :D.

ADVANCED

Introduce dog to the other direction - will most likely need to make it easier by reducing height for a while before getting up to the optimum height.

Introduce dog to arms held in circle on the other side of you - again will most likely need to make it easier by reducing height for a while before getting up to optimum height.

Jump through a hoop. Use the above method with a hoop. May be easier to start with this then move on to jumping through your arms, or if you have a dog that is too big for you.

TROUBLE SHOOTING

Dog won't go through arms on the ground? This can be done easier if you take away the dogs' head having to go through by putting your arms around dogs neck/shoulders in as wide a circle as your arms allow. This way your dog will be able to see the other side, where to head to. Could also set up in an area where dog can not walk around eg in a hallway. Or you could have someone else to help lure your dog through.

Why only one direction to start? You want to build the behaviour using what your dog prefers and is most likely to succeed with, therefore let the dog decide what it prefers to do, that is, either going through your arms from behind you (through to your front) or from infront (through to your behind).

When I taught my dog the beginnings of this trick (as a precursor), what I did was have my dog on it's grooming table (concrete slab at waist height) place my arms around her head when she was in a sit/wait so that she could see the other side and told her to "off" ie jump off the table which meant that she had to go through my arms to jump off the table. I think this was useful, in that it made the actual behaviour of going through my arms not as novel as it might have been. This was as far as I got before discovering the clicker.

Pictures to follow - Jamie jumping through my arms in a series of photos. CM.

Hey

Im trying to teach this to Nova

we are half way there he will jump when im not that far of the ground

I taught him like you did jumping through arms off grooming table but then went and taught him this one less stress on joints

thanks natasha

• 2 weeks later...

This is going to be my dad's show off trick with D -- so he doesn't mess up my 'trick training'... that and D can't fit thru my arms! :laugh:

It'll be a while before the trick is finished, but I'll definately try to get some photos -- that yogi is amazing!

I would hold off on the jumping until she is older, but definately get her used to clickers (if you are going to use them) and walking thru your arms.

The reason to wait is because you want growth plates to heal and set properly and although the most damage is done when the pup is under 5 months - better to be safe than sorry!