Hypothetical Question In Regards To Trialling.

Gosh, now your testing my memory.

Sweepstakes is kind of like a practice trial but still officially organised you still have judges etc. No scores in a sweepstakes are counted towards titles. I think each club has to run one sweepstakes a year and if I remember correctly they are also used for the practice of judges going for their judges qualifications.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL - the best for me was at a trial - Arya told me my she was asked if Leo was her dog coz he let out ONE whine (I know, coz I heard it) when I popped off to the loo.... apparently that was most unacceptable - particularly since they were lining up for stays :laugh:

someone also told me I shouldn't be rewarding my dog with a ball so close to the ring (at least 20mtrs away) as I could distract other dogs..... hmm... shouldn't they be proofed to that?!?! Unfortunately I can't use a tug as he is 'just not that into it' :cry:

:rofl: Yeah, that woman really got offended when I told her that he wasn't making that much noise and they should have been able to stand it. He he. What silly old B$^#*%!!!

Geez, the best distraction of all that day were the little pigs running around in their pen in the property next to the grounds. Hilarious! IMHO, balls, other people, animals, etc. are a part of life. Dogs sitting a metre apart is much more stressful for the dog than anyone outside the ring doing anything. Not to mention that these two incidents were at Berwick where it wasn't just a rope but a chain link fence between us and the competitors!!

Probably just someone jealous of Leo :eek:

Yes - I actually heard someone else say that it was most rude of the person who lived in the house behind for him to mow his lawns/ have his pigs out when he could clearly see there was a trial going on :):cooldance::champagne:

TO - CCD is like encouragement so you don't have to do it to get into novice. There are pro's and con's of doing it.

If you are really nervous about how your dog will go in a trial situation - i'd recommend it - you have more control as your dog is on lead for heelwork & SFE, the recall is really short as are the stays. You have to return around your dog after the recall.

The problem is that with the stays - a lot of the dogs (at the moment, it may change down the track) are unstable on their stays..... before I put my girl in - i'm going to keep an eye on the CCD rings - if they are still at this current level, I am unlikely to enter her and go straight into CD.

The other thing for me is that my dogs actually (make that usually!) heel better off lead as that is how I train. Because I have to fumble with the lead - when they heel 'on lead' their turns are wider because of my hand movements to sort out the lead.....

I don't know what sweepstakes are:D

Gosh, now your testing my memory.

Sweepstakes is kind of like a practice trial but still officially organised you still have judges etc. No scores in a sweepstakes are counted towards titles. I think each club has to run one sweepstakes a year and if I remember correctly they are also used for the practice of judges going for their judges qualifications.

I believe sweepstakes (and the requirement to get a novice sweepstakes pass before competing in CD rings) in only a Qld thing. :laugh:

Ahh no wonder i hadnt heard of sweepstakes, thanks ML

LP Thats pretty much why i would rather just go into CD, i dont want to stress my dog out if others are running around and potentially hurting him. Same with you i am alot better with Darcy off lead because thats how i train, the lead just makes it weird LOL

He isnt going to run off if we go into Novice first, i just didnt know you could skip CCD. Awesome all i have to do is get him doing the retrieve well....well the sit in front bit right and we will be there, everything else we have no problems with.

Ahh no wonder i hadnt heard of sweepstakes, thanks ML

LP Thats pretty much why i would rather just go into CD, i dont want to stress my dog out if others are running around and potentially hurting him. Same with you i am alot better with Darcy off lead because thats how i train, the lead just makes it weird LOL

He isnt going to run off if we go into Novice first, i just didnt know you could skip CCD. Awesome all i have to do is get him doing the retrieve well....well the sit in front bit right and we will be there, everything else we have no problems with.

The only other difference is that for CCD they are pretty lenient with their marks..... with CD - you are straight in with the 'big kids' so don't expect any leniency with scoring :thumbsup:! But I find the stays a lot more stable :laugh: