Pus

Vet's not available today, but I've got an appt for tomorrow. Dog's seems happy and healthy, apart from this problem.

The dogs were wrestling and when Charlie (5 month standard poodle pup) rolled over his penis looked as though it had a bit of pus on it :D . Yep, pus confirmed at opening of penis and fur there a little 'crunchy' ?

I've noticed areas on the lawn yellowing where he's pee'ed, also. I watched him last time he peed- comes in spurts sometimes. I see this in the older dog when he's marking territory, but Charlie's 5 months old and doesn't lift his leg.

He has free access to water and is fed kibble and a chicken/ meat mince, chicken necks/ wings/ frames. About 50:50 fresh: kibble.

When I clipped around his penis a couple of weeks ago, there was a bit of whitish-yellow discharge, but I thought not much of it as the fur there was longer and I thought it was moist old urine. In retrospect, pus may have been there then.

I'm not after an-over-the-net diagnosis, but any idea what it could be?

Will I need to get a urine sample b4 seeing the vet tomorrow morning?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have NO idea what it could be, but thanks for ruining my breakfast (serves me right for opening a topic called Pus :D ) Anyway, I do recommend you take a urine sample - worst case, they don't use it and you've had a giggle trying to get it in the first place! :D

No idea Pee Dubbya but I think it would be a very good idea to take a fresh urine sample.

It may not be pus.. It could be (god I can't believe I'm discussing this) smegma.. penile lubricant which is normally yellowy white in colour. Some dogs tend to produce more than others and need to be regularly cleaned up a bit.

God, the subjects we discuss on here. :D

You might want to check out this link:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/balanoposthitis/page1.aspx

I have included some info from the site for you as well:

Balanoposthitis is the medical term used to describe inflammation of the penis and prepuce (the sheath of skin on the belly of the dog that covers the penis). There are a variety of causes of balanoposthitis, including injuries, bacterial infections, phimosis (constriction of the prepuce opening so that the prepuce cannot be drawn back to expose the penis), and tumors. Balanoposthitis is one of the more common problems to affect the prepuce, and occurs more frequently in intact (non-neutered) male dogs.

What to Watch For

Yellow or yellow-green discharge (pus) visible at the tip of the penis or prepuce

Sometimes bloody discharge from the prepuce or penis

Possible swelling and inflammation around the penis/prepuce

Excessive licking at the prepuce

Discomfort

Disinterest in breeding

Possibly lethargy, fever and loss of appetite if a serious infection is present

Don't know if he is suffering all the symptoms but would be best to get it checked out.

Hope that helps.

Adam.

Thanks for the replies to my gross topic :D .

I thought I should get it checked as he's booked to be desexed in a few weeks. Better not to have him under anaesthetic with an infection, I guess.

He's recently started occasional humping behaviour with our other dog, so this makes the smegma theory seem plausible (?; thanks pf). There aren't any of the other signs like blood, licking, "unwell" symptoms and the "lipstick" seems to come out normally.

At least he doesn't cock his leg, so should be easier to catch in the container. :D Things we do for our dogs.

It is not uncommon to see a small amount of yellow or white discharge at the end of the prepuce (it is smegma, as someone else has mentioned). If the dog has not urinated for a period of time, it can dry out and get stuck to the surrounding hair or skin, or appear to seal the preputial opening shut. Some dogs will produce more than others - if you are concerned then get it checked out, but in the absence of other clinical signs it may well be normal.

Oh - the official term amongst staff in our practice is "willy-goo". It is appropriate to squeal like a girl if it inadvertently contacts you. :D

Rappie:

Oh - the official term amongst staff in our practice is "willy-goo". It is appropriate to squeal like a girl if it inadvertently contacts you.

:D :D :)

And thank your lucky stars you're in a small animal practice?? :rofl: What a horse's willy can produce is pretty mind boggling. :rofl:

And thank your lucky stars you're in a small animal practice?? :) What a horse's willy can produce is pretty mind boggling. :D

LOL - I own a horse, I've been sprung cleaning willy-goo off'a him more than once :D

Takes more than a bit of goo to scare me :rofl:

Oh - the official term amongst staff in our practice is "willy-goo". It is appropriate to squeal like a girl if it inadvertently contacts you. :D

Hmmm one would have to wonder about your practice :D :)

At home we prefer to call it

"cheesy doodle"

thanks for the laugh :rofl:

:D :D :):rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::) Tummy hurting.

Hey let me ask...when people trim the hair from around their dogs' willies do they strap on a merkin so the dog doesnt feel bald and disadvantaged?

Caff:

Did you spell that right, PF?

At least this PW doesn't have to share the abbreviation of her name with Puppy Farmer. :D

I can't think of the word "smegma" and not think of Red Dwarf. God I love that show. :D