Porridge ?

Pre whelping, if my girls wont eat, they get porridge, milk and honey, and they also get it after whelping. The pups get it sometimes too. Wont hurt him at all, but at his age, only as a treat.

I've always cooked oatmeal in with my dogs rice in winter as a blood warmer (and an aid to make sluggish dogs more hyperactive like chestnut horses :rolleyes: ). They love it and it helps their coats tooo, just make sure your dog doesn't get overheated with it in warmer weather.

Are oats Bad for dogs? I was thinking of adding it as the filler to Lucys Fresh food instead of pasta which was in the recipe ?

I personally think oats would be better. However, it depends on why you are adding pasta - as a "filler".

I know Im going to sound very nutty here but the recipe for Lucys food has 2kg chicken 1kg veg 6 wheat bix 250g of pasta and 350g of rice +eggs, flax seed oil , calcium, muti vit

I just figuered that the rice and pasta were for Carbs and Ruffage Im a bit of a health nut my self though so I have added lean lamb mince use lean chicken breast meat and swaped the white rice for brown rice and was going to change the white pasta for oats and because they are higher vitamins slower burning energy and basiclly I dont like or really have "white products" in the house

All good - don't overcook it though; just drop the oats into boiling water for about a minute, and then cool it all under running cold water (they'll continue to cook when they're hot). They'll be nice soft(ish) flakes, rather than stodgy and glutinous - best for doggies!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Found this thread while snooping around looking for brekkie ideas for my doggies.

I have been giving them weetbix and a little milk but figure thats maybe not such a good idea??? Thoughts?? :)

Also while snooping on the forum I found a great thread about feeding dogs a bigger meal in the mornings rather than at night. GOSH I was always of the belief that doggies only needed ONE meal a day! :D

I have a cairn terrier / cross pekingnese (Sally) - she is 9yo and tends to be / well IS rather 'rotund'. I also have a 17month old female Cav (Lucy). She is tiny - about the size of a 6 month puppy (litter runt). I only got her in February and thats when the breakfast thing started - (when I got her she had come from a home that always gave brekky to their Cavs.)

Well - when I started giving Lucy weetbix n milk I felt so sorry for Sally (as you do) :wave: and started giving her a tiny bit as well. Lucy gets about 3/4 of a weetbix and Sally gets the other quarter.

So, are weetbix and milk a bad idea? Would Porridge be better? What about the milk? I have tried giving them weetbix n water and neither will eat it. Lucy will NOT eat straight weetibix :D but Sally will! :) Sheesh!

OR, should I just rethink the whole thing - based on Sally's fatitude and think about giving them a bigger meal in the morning and just a meaty bone or something for dinner? I work so sadly, they don't get walked much..... :):laugh:

Debbie