Jumping Staffy

Love my Sonny and Neko

Hi

My 7 month old staffy male goes ballistic when anyone arrives at the house and especially when I get home from work (which is understandable after being left in the yard all day). He yelps and crys and whines... Basically he loves too much. The worst part is that he leaps up and nips at your hand, ear, neck, back.. .whatever he can latch on to. I am trying the ignore technique at the moment and have tried the sit and reward combo but that wasn't too successful. Our obediance instructer told us to knee him in the chest?. Our female staffy pup doesn't jump up at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

:o

my friend has a 4yr old staffy that does this. i go there twice a day & my friend told me to do the knee to the chest thing. that didn't help. i am now turning my back immediately when she goes to jump, i have been doing this consistently for a couple of weeks now & she doesn't try jumping as much. she also rarely makes contact with me when she does jump, but you have to be quick at turning. i ignore her then too. she tends to roll in front of me now, so i give her a big pat for that & then she bloody jumps again! :o so i turn my back. i only turn briefly & then keep on my course.

good luck! it's a pain. :)

Leash the dog when you have visitors, they are NOT to pat him unless he is sitting and quite.

As for you, stop going out to him as soon as youget home, come home, sit down and have a coffee, then go out when the dog is quite.

Otherwise, on lead at all times he is around you, he will learn that he only gets attention when he is doing the right thing

I do as bertie does. As soon as mine go to jump, I turn my back on them and walk away.

When I get home I completely ignore them for a few minutes until they have settled and stop being silly, then they get a pat and spoken to when they are calm.

I agree with TB, leash the dog before the visitors arrive and he does not get any attention until he is sitting quietly.

Our lad used to do this when he was younger and the method we used was to hold his front paws, give a firm squeeze and say stay down, as we put his paws back on the ground. You need friends to cooperate and do it as well when he jumps on them. We only needed to do it for about a week and he came good.

Good luck

Jodie

It's not so much 'a knee in their chest' as a block to them getting close to you i.e. knee should not be moving when dog launches at you.

The 'turning your back' method is more effective and no more difficult :rolleyes: .

Teach your dog to sit ALWAYS before he gets any pats/ greetings from you. Everyone should do this, so the dog doesn't get mixed messages.

You can ask visitors to do the same, but might give them a food treat to give your dog when he sits to make it even more worthwhile for him.

A sitting dog can't jump :) .

Agree with ignoring dogs when you get home. I created a monster with my first dog who used to yelp and carry on soon as he heard the car. Now he knows I'll ignore him until he sits nicely at the door and waits for me to let him in. I don't make a fuss then, either, but play games, cuddles etc later on.

Good luck :cool: . I'm sure your staffy will be quick to learn- be consistent!

i found this thread helpful :rolleyes: yesterday i started to walk my neighbours dogs while she is at work.

i had more of a workout trying to get collars and leads on 2 small dogs there, whilst being body slammed by a very over enthusiastic staffy x aussie bulldog! my back is killing me today :)

i kept lifting my knee to her, whilst telling her "down", she fell onto her back and just launched herself again :)

i will try turning my back on her instead :cool:

Problem Child does this.. same age too... but the turning the back and walking away isnt working as she runs and body slams you.. so we time out and ignore until she is calm (never with this dog) 5YO has gone to school today with a black eye from a tail whack last night.. bloody dog...

If someone can give us something that works, would be much appreciated...

Problem Child does this.. same age too... but the turning the back and walking away isnt working as she runs and body slams you.. so we time out and ignore until she is calm (never with this dog) 5YO has gone to school today with a black eye from a tail whack last night.. bloody dog...

My little girl's one vice (12 month BC) is that she does exactly this - jumps up to give you kisses, is WAY too exuberant for her and our own good. If you turn your back she continues to jump up and claw. I've found telling her to sit (have to keep facing her and fending her off) and then giving her attention once she does that is working quite well. I don't have to tell her any more, just raise my hand (sit signal, not to hit) and OH only has to tell her once and she does it.

Visitors aren't a problem as she is quite reserved around everyone other than OH and me.

Been a long road, but we are almost there - it was one of those things that was sooooo cute as a puppy, but not so much as a grown dog. Lesson one.......

My little girl's one vice (12 month BC) is that she does exactly this - jumps up to give you kisses, is WAY too exuberant for her and our own good. If you turn your back she continues to jump up and claw. I've found telling her to sit (have to keep facing her and fending her off) and then giving her attention once she does that is working quite well. I don't have to tell her any more, just raise my hand (sit signal, not to hit) and OH only has to tell her once and she does it.

Visitors aren't a problem as she is quite reserved around everyone other than OH and me.

Been a long road, but we are almost there - it was one of those things that was sooooo cute as a puppy, but not so much as a grown dog. Lesson one.......

She wont sit, she wont stay she just wants to jump and lick and be overly exuberant and if well behaved and mannered Lola is around multiply it as she wants even more attention.. Lola is well behaved and for the most part obedient.. Problem child is just that.. She wont be doing it tomorrow.. she is of to the vets to get the bits out... peace for one evening at least..

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Will certainly continue on with the ignoring... it does actually seem to be working - and the leash for when visitors arrive.

Cheers! :(

I put Jak on the leash when people visit because she's a jumper and a nipper too. She carries on for no more than a minute then lays down and watches whatever it is that we're up to!

Every now and then I go to her and give her a bit of sausage as a treat to let her know she's doing the right thing. She stays laying down because she knows that more sausages will come then! haha. Eventually she should start to associate being on the mat when visitors come equalling sausage treats and do it on her own rather than having to be put on the lead.

Good luck :-)