Milk

My greyhound girl loves fresh cow milk. Those that you can get from the milk department at the supermarket.

I read somewhere that it is bad for them though coz they cannot digest it properly. Is it true?

she does not get runny poo from it.

i usually add about a third of a cup into her food. it helps to moist her food.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought dogs were lactose intollerant and thats why the standard milk is not the best for them.

If she loves her milk I would be buying the puppy milk from the supermarket, specially made for dogs, just to make sure no problems arise.

Every dog I have ever had in the past (and there have been a lot of them) has had milk from time to time and never had a problem. I never fed it on a daily basis but often enough and they all loved it. One of the two I have now just can't keep it down. He loves it but every time I have fed it to him he throws it back up.

So I guess what I am saying is that I think that if your dog was going to have problems you would be seeing it by now. I don't think milk can cause any long term damage but I could stand corrected. All I know is that it didn't cause any problems for any of my dogs, they all lived relatively long, and mostly healthy, lives.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought dogs were lactose intollerant and thats why the standard milk is not the best for them.

Yep dogs and cats are lactose intollerant and milk tends to give them the runny poos :laugh:

If it's occasional or it you water it down a bit then I don't see it being a problem.

Better yet you can buy pet milk or even lactose free milk for people.Longlife or cold :p

Yep dogs and cats are lactose intollerant and milk tends to give them the runny poos :laugh:

If it's occasional or it you water it down a bit then I don't see it being a problem.

Better yet you can buy pet milk or even lactose free milk for people.Longlife or cold :p

SOME dogs are lactose intollerant. Not all dogs.

Edited by cavNrott

If she's lactose intolerant, milk will give her the runs. I think -- but may be wrong -- that pups feed cow's milk from early on tend not to develop lactose tolerance.

I try to keep my dogs lactose intolerant -- and give them a good dose of milk when things aren't moving down below.

Edited by sandgrubber

Not all dogs are lactose intolerant .Its all about an enzyme - lactase which mammals need to digest lactose. Animals are born with an ability to make lactase but after they are weaned and dont have milk anymore their body forgets how to make it and they show side effects from eating it. If your dog drinks it without a problem - thats great . If a dog is given milk regularly from birth it will continue to be able to make the enzyme and can tolerate it without a problem.

Not all dogs are lactose intolerant .Its all about an enzyme - lactase which mammals need to digest lactose. Animals are born with an ability to make lactase but after they are weaned and dont have milk anymore their body forgets how to make it and they show side effects from eating it. If your dog drinks it without a problem - thats great . If a dog is given milk regularly from birth it will continue to be able to make the enzyme and can tolerate it without a problem.

Great info Steve thanks :laugh:

all my dogs, past and present have loved a slurp of milk without sideeffects.

have found a bit of warm milk given to a puppy has the same effect at bed time as it does for me........makes for a good sleep (but an early rise for puddles)

ALL of my puppies are raised on diluted cows milk from birth. Much cheaper and easier than stuffing around with the stuff formulated for pets or trying to source goats milk or paying through the nose for carnation tins.

NONE of my dogs are lactose intolerant. ALL of my puppies are raised on cow's milk. Dogs which are a little thinner than I would like are fed Jed's No 2 fat food, which contains milk.

What Steve said is right. Lots of adult dogs are not lactose intolerant either.

I wouldn't waste my dough on puppy milk, which is heaps more expensive than cows' milk, and imho, dogs do not do as well on it as on cows' milk.