Cat Litter/poop Question?

In my old house the kitty litter was in the laundry, i had a cat flap in the door so the dogs couldnt get there - At this new place, I am renting and cant put one in. I have put a baby gate up.

The Ferals have learnt to get over it, and have been snacking on cat litter :laugh:

When I can I shut the laundry door when dogs are in, but the cats are always in and out, so I put the gate up and try to keep an eye on the dogs.

Can cat poop make them sick at all? I clean it as soon as they go - but sometimes i dont notice it and the Ferals get it first.

The cat litter is natural stuff, so I am not too worried about that.

Stupid dogs, Going to have to start looking for some kind of table i can put in there to keep the litter on.

My theory is it's a natural sort of pro-biotics :rofl::rofl: . I've never met a dog that doesn't love kitty crunchies. I'm a little more worried when I see loads of vermiculite (which is what I use for kitty litter) show up in the dog poohs . . . but it seems to go through them with no harm :laugh: .

that wouldnt stop them pandii - guess i am going to have to go and pay money for a proper baby gate (just checked this one over and it has a break in the top - that is how they are through it :rofl: )

Guest kitakins

a hooded litter tray with the entrance facing a wall is your best bet. i have mine that way and i just leave enough room for the cat to squeeze in.

What's your laundry set up like?

We have a hooded tray turned to the wall that sits in the corner of the laundry between the washer and the dryer which are on the two walls of the corner.

There is room between the dryer and the washing machine for the cat to get in to do his biz, but not for the dogs to get in to eat the tasty cat truffles. I agree that without something protecting the tray, they'll just push it from the wall. You do have to be strong enough to lift the tray up out of its hidey hole behind the dryer to clean it.

The set up we have is the only thing that has stopped them - they haven't learned how to shift white goods - yet :rofl:

Like people have already said, yep natural for dogs to eat kitty treats.

We enclosed our kitty litter in the corner of the laundry with timber wall around it, and made a small hole only the cats could fit through.

What can happen if the cats feel uncomfitable using the litter box, because the dogs can get there, the cats will find somewhere else to go. :rofl: Bless Sir Bastion, he would use the bathroom vanity. or the bathtub.

i have no way of doing something like that - if i owned, i would put in a cat flap, and have no problems, but i cant :rofl:

Just wanted to make sure it wont make them sick - they are only in if i am in, so i can keep an eye on them most of the time!

Guest Pandii

YOu really think after all the things AT has eaten some poo niggets are going to make him ill

Just wanted to make sure it wont make them sick - they are only in if i am in, so i can keep an eye on them most of the time!

It might and it might not. I don't know what your cat eats, but ours is still an occasional mouser, despite having none of his canines. He's a game old bastard and he also has access to the outdoors. So I'd really prefer the dogs don't eat his shit.

Likewise there's a worming cycle issue - there's no point keeping everyone on a good worming schedule and keeping a tidy backyard if the dogs are going to turn around and eat a cat turd. Sure, I worm the cat at the same time, but that doesn't mean his nuggets are going to be clean for 3 months.

I don't freak about it if they get lucky and dig up a nugget because all our dogs are young and healthy but if I had an oldie around with iffy immunity, I'd be concerned about them getting sick.

Ahhhh...kity crunchies. Such a delicacy to the discerning doggy palate. They will go to extraordinary lengths to get them. Even the laziest of my crew will go digging in the dirt if they think they might find a "truffle" lurking in the soil.

Friends of mine actually used an old kitchen cabinet. Fixed one door shut and put a hole in the cabinet about halfway up. High enough for the cats to jump into but too high and too small for the dogs to get in. Then the other side (with a firm kiddy lock) is where the litter tray goes. Too much buggerising around for me, but it works for them.

My own solution is to make sure that everybody is wormed regularly and that I don't let the dogs kiss me (or the children) on the face when they appear with "that" blissful look on their faces!

Likewise there's a worming cycle issue - there's no point keeping everyone on a good worming schedule and keeping a tidy backyard if the dogs are going to turn around and eat a cat turd. Sure, I worm the cat at the same time, but that doesn't mean his nuggets are going to be clean for 3 months.

If you're worming regularly, what's the problem? If they get worms, you take care of them. The odd parasite isn't a problem. It's when you get a build up that they do harm.

I let my mob loose in the bush and I'm sure they also enjoy roo, bandicoot, rabbit, and Lord only knows what else.