Schutzhund Training

Has anyone been to the Illawarra one?

Am going this Sunday to check It out :rofl:

Any info on what they are like, greatly appreciated, :(

Hope to get my girl In, but she won't be competing though!

Even If we can just do the obediance and tracking part of It, I'll be happy,

at least I think I'll be allowed to use a muzzle on her.

ETA: Oh and BUMP :(

I went to Illawarra a few years ago when it was on Saturdays.

The trainer was great and the people were very friendly and helpful.

Where abouts is it held or through which club? I'd love to check it out!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Schutzhund.

I can only imagine the amount of training would go into a successful dog.

And i don't believe its encouraging aggression, i think its teaching controlled protection.

the dog doesn't know its being aggressive, its doing what its trained for.

I also think its a great way to "work" dogs that were bred for (or are largely used for) protection work, like GSD's, Rottie's, Dobes etc.

I'd like to get into it one day but i think there would be a lot of training just for me first. lol

I noticed around the traps that the sport of Schutzhund and IPO training seemed to be a topic that needs to be brought out in the open and I think this is probably a good place to do it.

For the record I have trained in Obedience with Western Suburbs Dog Sport club here in Sydney and enjoyed their help and philosophy of dog training.

I support the Schutzhund training when it is done correctly.

I'cant be a member of Dogs NSW if I support this sport neither can my club but it is an exciting sport and both the dogs and owners enjoy it.

Nobody wants a viscious dog and unfortunately that is how the public and some owners see the sport, however, Sch. training does not promote viscious dogs and in fact creates a stable, well adapted animal.

The Rotty clubs across Australia are going to have to discuss this issue. The GSD people have been down the road and the Germans will ask Australia to breed dogs with a view to falling into line with them on the standard.

I think it's time to discuss this sport and the position of Dogs NSW and the ANKC. Input from other states is appreciated.

I ask for thoughtful, unemotional comments please.

Hi,

I'm located in Ingleburn NSW and have an American Staffordshire Terrier, i'm interested in finding information obtaining to Schutzhund, and would appricate if someone could let me know if there is anything avaliable in my area.

Thank you for any replies :mad

Hi,

I'm located in Ingleburn NSW and have an American Staffordshire Terrier, i'm interested in finding information obtaining to Schutzhund, and would appricate if someone could let me know if there is anything avaliable in my area.

Thank you for any replies ;)

Im affraid that nothing is availble in your area due to

Breeds eligible under FCI regulations.

German Shepherd Dog, Boxer, Dobermann, Rottweiler, Giant Schnauzer, Airedale Terrier, Bouvier Des Flandres, Hovawart, Belgian Shepherd (Groendael, Malinois, Tervueren, Laekenois), Berger de Beauce, Berger de Brie, Berger Des Pyrenees A Face Rase, Berger Des Pyrenees A Museau Normal, Berger Picard, Lapinkoira, Suomenpystykorva.

However you can check with the Illawara or the Western Sydney Dogsport clubs. Dont hold your breath tho.

I've always been curious about this subject, especially from reading about it on american forums, but I wanted to understand how Australia runs things if you know what I mean?

Is someone able to explain to me what the difference is between Schutzhund and IPO dogsport? Or point me in the direction of a good website to read which will explain things?

I get the impression its not something that is suited to all dogs, what sort of qualities should a dog possess to be suitable for this work? What sort of effect would this sort of sport have on a dogs temperament? Is neutralisation important from puppyhood?

It sounds like the handlers and dogs can have a lot of fun doing it. :eek:

ETA - i'm not thinking about this for my girls by the way, just curious.

Edited by *Bella*

• 2 weeks later...

I personally love to watch a bloody good dog trained in either KMPV or schutzhund training its absolutely awesome to watch the dog and handler work together.

If done correctly you will not have problems just watch out for the cowboys

zeekee.jpg

One thing i have noticed from watching Schutzhund training is that alot of the dogs at the top level are male and are mostly working line GSD's or Mal's.

Are males more suited to the training? Why is it there doesnt seem to be as many of the other breeds? Is it that they arent being bred with suitable temperaments?

One thing i have noticed from watching Schutzhund training is that alot of the dogs at the top level are male and are mostly working line GSD's or Mal's.

Are males more suited to the training? Why is it there doesnt seem to be as many of the other breeds? Is it that they arent being bred with suitable temperaments?

the reason because there isnt many other breeds is because they have been breed out of the "working dog" line and dobes havent got the consentration and they are really stuborn i have one of my own its really good and ob but hasnt got any drive because it is a "show dog" line and show people have been trying to breed out the prey drive because they dont really understand it they think that it is aggresion. and the males are more suited for it because they have alot more prey drive.

[the reason because there isnt many other breeds is because they have been breed out of the "working dog" line and dobes havent got the consentration and they are really stuborn i have one of my own its really good and ob but hasnt got any drive because it is a "show dog" line and show people have been trying to breed out the prey drive because they dont really understand it they think that it is aggresion. and the males are more suited for it because they have alot more prey drive.

Actually that’s not quite true about the dobes you just have to look and work through the lines and ask lost of questions if you want a working dob I can let you know where there are some and they will be from working lines.

They are hard and have good working capabilities, they have a high prey drive you just have to understand what you are looking for

Hi all we bought our female dobie 2 weeks ago from working lines. We've taken her to two training sessions with an IPO club however it seemed that she was a little down on her prey drive. We were advised to crate her, or at least give her nothing to amuse herself with during the day and then really play hard "prey" games with her. Chasing a rag on a string, getting her to go after it after windering her up. One week later and that prey drive is going strong. We were told not to "baby" her and she would be a good working dog. I am a little concerned about the concentration levels, however she is only 5 months old. She's already displaying great response to OB already, I'm glad we sought out a "working line" doberman, because I have heard of a lot of breeders who breed for showing and calm temperament ... not saying our Buffy hasn't got a good temperament, just a little less playful in the "showing lines" is my understanding.

We're really looking forward to seeing what she can achieve.

Hi all we bought our female dobie 2 weeks ago from working lines. We've taken her to two training sessions with an IPO club however it seemed that she was a little down on her prey drive. We were advised to crate her, or at least give her nothing to amuse herself with during the day and then really play hard "prey" games with her. Chasing a rag on a string, getting her to go after it after windering her up. One week later and that prey drive is going strong. We were told not to "baby" her and she would be a good working dog. I am a little concerned about the concentration levels, however she is only 5 months old. She's already displaying great response to OB already, I'm glad we sought out a "working line" doberman, because I have heard of a lot of breeders who breed for showing and calm temperament ... not saying our Buffy hasn't got a good temperament, just a little less playful in the "showing lines" is my understanding.

We're really looking forward to seeing what she can achieve.

ahh buffy you just started to go to the bsdc (brisbane sporting dog club) yes she is very good at ob she learns quick, congratz im the one with the other puppy syla. german shepard. very happy to hear your not babying her. cya on friday if its not raining.

matt

Yes Matt we took your advice and only pay her attention when we're either training or doing some of that prey drive stuff with her. She hasn't managed to rip our pillow case up yet, I think she's teething and doesn't seem to bite anything too hard at the moment, but she has broken the string/rope. Since it's not raining as much today (YAY!) we'll take her to the dog park... I'm starting to teach her to speak on command apparently it is easier for them to learn the protection side of IPO if they learn to do this early ... my neighbours are going to love it :(

Edited by JeffnCel

Yes Matt we took your advice and only pay her attention when we're either training or doing some of that prey drive stuff with her. She hasn't managed to rip our pillow case up yet, I think she's teething and doesn't seem to bite anything too hard at the moment, but she has broken the string/rope. Since it's not raining as much today (YAY!) we'll take her to the dog park... I'm starting to teach her to speak on command apparently it is easier for them to learn the protection side of IPO if they learn to do this early ... my neighbours are going to love it :laugh:

thats really great, sounds great that she is barking on command!!! also you shouldnt pull why she is teething just let her get it in her (but still make her run around for it) mouth and run her around so she still has the fun, drive etc, just if she gets hurt while pulling she will think when she gets older oh this might hurt. but you probly allready know that. isnt it heart breaking to only pay attention to her when she is working but if you wont a great dog you have to do the right things by her.. and how did you get her to bark on command my dog dosent bark yet just whimpers.. and we should interduce (<< if that how u spell it..) our dogs to each other so if we are trial together they just think ohh its just buffy/syla, and i brought syla in for the day coz her room was wet as, and the difference she didnt play that day or any thing so i had to put her in the shed for the day. it just shows you how hard it is to get a ipo dog sport dog.. but now shes got more prey drive then ever. and if you have a email addy send it via this sites inbox so i can tell you if training is cancelled..

matt

cya tues hopefully theres training.

p.s theres alot of typeo's way to lazy to edited..

hope your haveing fun with your new puppie

• 4 weeks later...

I can see an uphill battle with Sch and other dogsports because a lot of breeders who have turned good working breeds to useless show ponies dont want to look stupid. They want their widdle doggies to just prance around a ring and then just exist to get more ribbons. How bad would some people look if the only way we could have great sport dogs for some breeds would be to import them - gee thats showing how well Australians have preserved the breeds isnt it. And frankly its just perpetuating the ignorant public image that big dogs are dangerous so dont train them! Careful that schutzhund trained dog will eat your children, so keep it barely trained and bored in your backyard people!

And I've found the security industry has succeeded in producing more cowboys and morons who breed vicious, ill tempered and uncontrollable animals then schutzhund. An animal that loopy would never be able to be titled, plus most dont have the patience and skill it takes for a Sch title. Why bother with 3 different disciplines when you can suit up and poke that angry bugger on the end of the leash until it attacks you. Voiala - security dog.

When people realise that schutzhund is a sport, that the dog is simply playing an advanced game of tug-o-war and is equiptment orientated (some sch dogs are miserable in a real confrontation) and that tracking and advanced obedience are part of it then we'll get somewhere. Unfortunately the ONLY image people see are dogs running at decoys, teeth bared and then hanging off a fully padded guy with a stick.

There should be public demos of the tracking and obedience part, its legal and shows beautiful control. But as with a couple of clubs I've been to, the only thing I see is bite, bite, bite, bite, oh yeah we should teach it obedience. We shouldnt confuse a sport with a real working animal where the balances are different and allowances are made for a little less in some areas.