When To Walk....?

cazzaritch

The boys get their injection next saturday and so we will be ready to start daily walkies - and boy do we need it!!! :thumbsup:

My question is.... is it best to walk them before of after they have their evening meal? They normally get fed between 6 and 6.30 pm?

If you're going to feed after exercise make sure its at least an hour after and they have calmed down. Feeding too soon can cause bloat.

Similarly, I wouldn't exercise too soon after feeding.

I'd say a gap of an hour each way should do it.

My dogs are fasted for the entire night before their morning romp and then its a slow walk home and about 40 mins until food...

When they were puppies it was food as soon as we rose and then the walk an hour or two later...

I walk mine after meals. No reason really, just fits in our family better. usually about 40 mins after each meal. although OH will walk them during day if he is home, just for the fun of it!

Edited by joelle

• 3 weeks later...

Wow you have 2 lil babies - good work ;-)

Just remember to keep it a simple walk as too much exercise for pups can be bad for their joints development. I'm sure you'll be fine ;-) But I know that when my Tesha was a pup it was hard for me not to step the pace up to a jog as she had so much energy as well.

It looks like your pups are labradors, is that right? Just a thought, you really don't want to overexercise lab puppies. I wouldn't walk any longer than 15 minutes before they are 6 months old. 2 puppies would usually get enough exercise playing together and playing with them is usually enough exercise. Also 2 lab puppies playing together can get rough, and you will need to watch they don't hurt each other in play.

We walk our boys after they've eaten - purely because they get a lot of energy after their meals and we need to burn it off!! But our boys have never been fussy about food (they're beagles, they'll eat anything!!) so if you need your puppy to work up an appetite, walk before the meal. But then you might find they're still a bit hyper afterwards - then you can always just play some games or do some training with them to tire them out.

I remember how exciting it was after Judd got his 12 week vaccination and we could finally take him for walkies - have fun!!

shellbyville is correct, don't over excercise your babies too much, in fact unless you are separating them form each other for a good 3 - 5 hours each day I would say then dont really need the extra exercise just yet.

shellbyville is also correct in that two lab babies the same age will play really rough together and in fact sometimes our neighbours have commented that I was out and they were a little worried becasue they thought the pups were trying to kill each other - Labs play hard and work hard. So despite you desire to keep them as loveable pets - adn I admire you for takingall the right steps - I would stronly recommend that they learn to be crated or kennelled so that you are able to keep them separate for a couple of hours each day. this also enforces the need for rest, Labs will sleep when there is nothing else to do - and Lab babies need lots of sleep.

If you want to walk them keep it under 10 - 15 min until they are at least 6 mths. Remembner your babies are the same age as mine